Radsone EarStudio ES100
Jul 9, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #1,576 of 6,675
I checked, there is apparently reasonable conversion before bt transmission so 44.1/48 doesn't matter much - aliasing is quite low and mostly at 48->44.1. But saving bandwidth is useful.

330kbit mode of LDAC is horrible - it has a lot of harmonics (more than aptx, but no clicks) at the top and cuts above 17khz everything. 660 is ok, 990 is too unstable. Adaptive is ok while it's not falling to 330.

When I first tried 990, it was sounding unstable. But it seemed to recover and has been playing nicely for a while. We'll see how it goes, but I will probably end up switching to 660 or adaptive.

Jul 9, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #1,577 of 6,675
4.6 stars on Amazon.com, 4.8 on Amazon.de and "just" 4.0 on Amazon.co.uk! Keep those reviews coming folks, Radsone deserve every postive review they can get.

Just hope you fix full Europe delivery from Amazon.de soon! Many of us in mainland Europe can get the free shipping from the german Amazon store.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2018 at 7:35 PM Post #1,578 of 6,675
4.6 stars on Amazon.com, 4.8 on Amazon.de and "just" 4.0 on Amazon.co.uk! Keep those reviews coming folks, Radsone deserve every postive review they can get.

Just hope you fix full Europe delivery from Amazon.de soon! Many of us in mainland Europe can get the free shipping from the german Amazon store.

Thanks for the reminder. It was already a solid 5 stars on amazon.ca, so I just made it more solid :)

Jul 10, 2018 at 3:49 AM Post #1,582 of 6,675
Does it support the new Windows WASAPI or ASIO4ALL?

With my surface book and audirvana for Windows wasapi only when connected to es100 directly.

With surface book and audirvana windows using my Usbridge as a network streamer ( upnp volumio software) then I was able to use both wasapi and asio even play upsampled DSD although somewhere converted in the process. But source volume with my USBRIDGE defaults to -20db so not useful for comparison purposes.

After the latest update I could not play with my Usbridge but this is probably a problem with volumio as these distributions quite convoluted and did not have time nor the desire to investigate further.

Jul 10, 2018 at 4:18 AM Post #1,583 of 6,675
@wslee

Amazing. Thanks for the obvious QA time as well. I see the build date for the firmware. You guys are doing a great job. Thank you for LDAC. The renaming of EQ presets is also helpful addition. Cheers

I checked, there is apparently reasonable conversion before bt transmission so 44.1/48 doesn't matter much - aliasing is quite low and mostly at 48->44.1. But saving bandwidth is useful.

330kbit mode of LDAC is horrible - it has a lot of harmonics (more than aptx, but no clicks) at the top and cuts above 17khz everything. 660 is ok, 990 is too unstable. Adaptive is ok while it's not falling to 330.

When I first tried 990, it was sounding unstable. But it seemed to recover and has been playing nicely for a while. We'll see how it goes, but I will probably end up switching to 660 or adaptive.

No cut outs for me yet on 990 LDAC on my Canadian S7. I think same phone as wayne. What are you guys setting as your buffer size in earstudio app? Also where are you getting cut outs? Maybe I have less interference where I live. I haven't tried commuting with it yet or in a busy area. Maybe outdoors giving you guys problems? At home I can only get it to cut out if I place the phone behind me my back and the ES100 in front of me. I will update if I experience anything

@SubMash Which phone are you using?

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2018 at 4:47 AM Post #1,584 of 6,675
990 LDAC working fine for me as well. Phone gets a bit hot though :) Using Google Pixel2.

Now all I can ask for is more EQ bands to play with. This tiny thing is a true beast!

Jul 10, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #1,588 of 6,675
Well, LDAC and power features are cool.
But I'm puzzled how one would be auto forcing LDAC?
If I block AAC and APTX it falls back to SBC and only through developer options I can enforce LDAC. Certainly, after disconnect, it falls back to SBC.
<snip>
Edit: Found how to fix - go to device BT settings [and click on settings to right of Earstudio] and turn on LDAC on it. Except don't know how to fix 44.1kHz.

Enhanced that for you!

On my S7 edge, I had already set to LDAC in the developer's settings, but I was having troubles getting LDAC to "stick" on my S7 edge when the ES100 was turned off/on, and I couldn't see LDAC in the "BT settings" (even though b1uemchen supplied a screen shot). I finally did find it, and in case it helps anyone else:

Settings, Connections, Bluetooth, Settings button to the right of EarStudio, then you will see it.

Awesome.

Jul 10, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #1,589 of 6,675
Took my ES100 for its first LDAC spin tonight. Can’t honestly say I heard an unmistakable difference vs aptX HD with my on-ears Aëdle VK-2 in the busy streets of Paris at 6 o’clock, but I did think to myself the ES100 totally held its own against my LG V30, which is just as good as a Dragonfly Red or a Sony PHA-1A, and the tiniest step behind my Pioneer XDP-100R.

I wasn’t used to the Asahi Kasei sound, as most of my audiophile toys use Sabre DACs, which can give a false sense of higher fidelity by sounding brighter. I’m getting used to the AK sound and loving it. The 4375 and 4376 DACs from AK are making a big return it seems, I’m soon getting two different products that use them, namely the RBH H2 sports earphones and Aëdle’s droolworthy VK-X, still on Indiegogo.

Amazing sound, amazing value, amazing convenience, and an admirable dedication to the community make me a big advocate of the ES100 against the ever-growing tide of competitors. Radsone also manages to outpace newly-released products by upgrading the ES100 in a myriad meaningful ways.

Jul 10, 2018 at 11:40 PM Post #1,590 of 6,675
Suprised there is no mention of ldac considering how recently this was published. Still, a good review worth sharing to help spread the word of this beast. One day I'll check out ldac and the balanced out, but not in a hurry. What it does with even youtube quality satifies. I think I'ved had the es100 for about 6 months now, and every day it brings the goods. Frickin' ridiculous value!

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2018/07/radstone-earstudio-australian-review/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back