radius website says HP-TWF21 is ready
Mar 24, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #92 of 128

Quote:
anyone hear from dimitri? didn't he say he would ship on the monday that just passed? as he hasn't emailed me with shipping confirmation, i hope this isn't due to more delays of ddm2.

He sent an email to me today..
Shortly he says that he will ship them tomorrow.. (25th march)

Mar 31, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #93 of 128
well i received the twf21. I'm not really a huge fan to be honest. They sound remarkably flat. The out of head soundstage takes a second to get used to coming straight from a normal dynamic iem. It fits good. There just isn't enough energy in the sound for me, both my main phones, the mspro and brainwavs m2 have a very forward midrange, which gives more energy.

The twf21 really does sound extraordinarily flat to me. The twf is strange in that it has alot of subbass, to me it drowns out the midbass. it results in not enough slam impact from the bass and more droning boom boom sounds. The mids are affected by the huge subbass too. not in terms of bass bleed, but purely the subbass is so loud it becomes harder to hear the mids and their detail. I can see why some people love this, it does have bass unlike any other phone, as in not many phones have that amount of subbass to midbass ratio, but hey i call it unnatural.

I've only had them a day, so i'm hoping my opinion changes as i listen more, otherwise i'll have to sell them.

Apr 1, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #94 of 128
Curious if you've found any improvement in the sound. Hopefully more burn-in period will do it some good, it is a dynamic afterall.

Apr 2, 2011 at 2:28 AM Post #95 of 128
well, I changed some opamps in my portable amp (ibasso p3+) and now have achieved a more preferable sound. With this setup the twf21 sounds great, really wide sound for an iem. It is a thick smooth sound, with instruments well separated in terms spaced out, but the actual instrument definition is average. Treble has nice crisp sound, but is not very extended and I can hear some loss of detail and even absence of some higher frequencies, eg in the 18-22k herts range. The mids are very liquidy and i would say lacks a tad of definition due to the slightly slowish sound, i think the driver speed is still a bit slow. The mids and treble are both present in equal amount in my setup, the bass is the most present but the huge subbass is lessened making it much faster and harder hitting. I still do not like the sound of these straight out of my laptop or mp3 player, I can only listen to them through my amp which changes the twf21 sound to be alot better.

Apr 2, 2011 at 7:12 AM Post #96 of 128
I received them yesterday..
At he first look, overall sound is pleasant..
I'm burning them now..
I'll share my impressions a couple days later..

Apr 21, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #98 of 128
I personally think there's that grand sounding sound because of the subbass, dynamic range and tall stage but their timbre was only slightly bit above average at best to me, HJE900s have better timbre. 

Apr 22, 2011 at 8:05 AM Post #100 of 128
Fit is certainly an improvement over the TWA11 - I just popped the TWA21 in my ears, and they fit and sealed, no tweaking or experimenting.

Comfort is fine with the cables hanging down, but of course microphonics are unbearable that way, thanks to the shabby cloth-covered cable. Worn with the cable over the ears, their edges poke into my ears, which is slightly uncomfortable. Wearing the right and left earbud in the opposite ears is the best way to wear them, at least that's what I found so far. Now I just need a way to swap channels in Rockbox, or solder a short extension cable with the channels swapped... :p

Apr 22, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #101 of 128
The fit is better but it also sticks out of your ears and you feel it's presence. Over the ears with the channels swapped is much better but you have to find a way to do such a thing (Hifiman adapter?). 

Apr 22, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #102 of 128
Here's a Rockbox patch that swaps the L/R channels on demand, much more elegant than some clumsy adapter cable workaround. :wink:

http://www.pastebin.ca/2049395

Left and right earbuds swapped, with the cable looped over the ears, they are perfectly comfortable for me. It's kind of sad that one still has to use workarounds for the awkward/silly design of the DDM2, but as long as they work...

Apr 22, 2011 at 1:21 PM Post #103 of 128
nice dfkt, but an adapter will still be useful for when to want to use the J3. 

I also don't like the short nozzle on these, but triple flanges help get that deep fit for slightly better isolation. I use M6 tripleflanges but Meelec double flanges are also pretty good. 

Apr 23, 2011 at 5:10 AM Post #104 of 128
I have to say, that after a few weeks use i really like these, I always have to EQ treble up a bit to my liking, but they sound great when I  do. The bass is so nice and full, thick, smooth and the delay is fun, its fast enough to keep up with most music, but its not overly fast bass, but its still awesome. The mids are again lush, smooth, the details come through, seperation is very high in this phone, a proof of its audiophile nature. The soundstage is larger than most iems, it is an outside of head sound, like the band, the speakers and sub, are standing and shouting music pumping a foot fro  your head literally. This is actually big for an iem, most iem's have an "inside head" sound. The treble is very nice, it sounds very natural and adds a touch of classy timbre, the treble is perfect in timbre, I'd say more natural than a BA phone. The mids and bass have an alright, timbre, not the greatest, but certainly not bad. Over all very happy with the DDM2. I also conclude that the DDM2 is heavily source and amp dependant. From my laptop straight to my DDM2 very average sound. From SFLO2 portable it sounds average. BUT When you add an AMP then the sound comes alive from both the labtop and SFLO2, the amp just makes the DDM2 sound worth $500 to my ears, I own some very expensive phones so I can say :p

Apr 26, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #105 of 128
I agree. The DDM2 sure are amazing sounding phones, with the right music. Took me a few days to get used to their very thick, weighty representation, but now I think I never heard Hans Zimmer soundtracks and similar stuff as lively, exciting, and engaging. They're somewhat comparable to the TMA-1, in my opinion. Both don't work overly well with vocal stuff, but they more than make up for that in other genres.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back