Radius HP-TWF11r Review and Impressions thread
Sep 25, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #811 of 864
Hi all,

the stock tips are still not that comfortable compared to the Sony Hybird SM size tips (yellow colour) I used to have.  See the tips here - http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/304963/fyi-various-iem-s-tips-pictorial-comparison#post_3920493

I have seen a few recommendations for the UE silicon tips here - http://ultimateears.com/en-us/products/universal-accessories.  If I do get these, where is the cheapest place to buy them shipped to Australia?

What size UE tips would I need considering I used the SM size Sony tips?

Any other recommendations for tips?

Thanks.

Sep 25, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #812 of 864
  Try getting something like this : http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Silicone-Panasonic-Sennheiser-Earphones/dp/B003LLC6RU/ref=sr_1_26?ie=UTF8&s=miscellaneous&qid=1285460457&sr=1-26 or this http://www.amazon.com/MDR-NX1-Replacement-Silicone-Small-Color/dp/B00406XKKM/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&s=miscellaneous&qid=1285460844&sr=1-13 . The thinner the rim of the aperture and the larger its diameter, the better they sound with the Radius (better treble, detail and clarity, more controlled bass and wider  & airier soundstage). They are also more comfortable, since fat tips make the already fat and long nozzle uncomfortable. Don't expect or even try to get a very tight seal (this chokes the phones). Try them first, thank me latter 
wink_face.gif

Sep 26, 2010 at 4:23 AM Post #813 of 864
I think most people wear  this iem completely the wrong way. I use very small silicone tips from some old EXs and insert them over the ear like in rawrster's picture then pull my ear upward and twist them down, pushing forward for deeper insertion. Use a track that utilizes bass line you know well because as you're twisting them down you should be able to find the sweetspot that will give you very deep controlled bass with no lack in mids and highs. The end result is a relatively deep insertion that requires a small tip due to the wide nozzle size and the isolation will be improved. It's not a night and day difference but it improves the isolation a bit, but the fit is much more secure. If joker rates it a 2.5 in isolation with my method I get a 3.0 which still makes it below average but a bit better.

As for microphonics, it's certainly once of the worst in this regard but wearing them under my shirt with a shirt clip makes it tolerable even when walking. But if you really want to make sure you can wear them over the ear with the cable wrapped around behind the ear with the cord moving down in front of the ear. I have not found this necessary so far thought so no major complaints in this regard.

The sound is imo the most realistic when it comes to string instruments as others have stated while still not completely satisfying in the mids as there is a dip in the mid highs you still get that quality impact from a guitar or piano but don't expect complete clarity. Also the soundstage is a bit odd and unrealistic but I think it has to do a bit with how you let that vent hole breathe, with the way i fit them the ss gets a bit better just a bit...

Sep 26, 2010 at 1:55 PM Post #814 of 864

Quote:
Also the soundstage is a bit odd and unrealistic but I think it has to do a bit with how you let that vent hole breathe, with the way i fit them the ss gets a bit better just a bit...

x2 on SS.  Have you ABd the mids w/ the MD?  I think the DDM was a bit more detailed but the MDs sounded much smoother and refined to me.

Sep 26, 2010 at 2:20 PM Post #815 of 864
 The soundstage is deep but at the same rounded yet not coherent, it's hard to describe. When you listen to a piano solo performance sometimes the notes from each hand sound as if they were coming from 2 different pianos. Haven't gotten a chance to AB with the MDs yet but from memory they share a similar sound sig but they're completely different at the same time because of certain characteristics. 

Sep 26, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #816 of 864
The soundstage is quite odd indeed, but overall I quite like it. What it does well is a vocalist singing and breathing right into the microphone - and I mean, *right* into the microphone - something like Sparklehorse or something which ends up sounding eerie. They do floating ghostly vocals well as well, but with your standard vocals or particularly with live recordings, they end up sounding a little diffuse.

They are still my go-to IEM each night when I just want to listen to something before I drift off to sleep. The way they can image natural instruments with their timbre, it just makes me very very excited about the next version of them
biggrin.gif

Oct 2, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #818 of 864

Quote:
  Try getting something like this : http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Silicone-Panasonic-Sennheiser-Earphones/dp/B003LLC6RU/ref=sr_1_26?ie=UTF8&s=miscellaneous&qid=1285460457&sr=1-26 or this http://www.amazon.com/MDR-NX1-Replacement-Silicone-Small-Color/dp/B00406XKKM/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&s=miscellaneous&qid=1285460844&sr=1-13 . The thinner the rim of the aperture and the larger its diameter, the better they sound with the Radius (better treble, detail and clarity, more controlled bass and wider  & airier soundstage). They are also more comfortable, since fat tips make the already fat and long nozzle uncomfortable. Don't expect or even try to get a very tight seal (this chokes the phones). Try them first, thank me latter 
wink_face.gif

thanks for the info mate.  Where can I get these tips for Australia?

Nov 19, 2010 at 12:46 PM Post #820 of 864
Based on this thread and all the high praise, I have placed an order for the Radius DDM through accessoryjack.com.
These will  be my first 'high SQ' headphones. Prior to these, I had the Sennheiser IE6 which are being serviced right now. Currently using standard Monster Turbines while I wait for my IE6 and these DDMs to arrive. I am tremendously excited. Thank you all for your well written impressions and reviews. 

Nov 20, 2010 at 1:59 PM Post #821 of 864
Hope you enjoy them fizzle. Mine are still being used regularly despite the fact that I now have ATH-CK100... which are three times the price. If I were forced to choose between them, it would be a tough call. The DDM really are a one-off, and deserve all the praise they get, in my opinion.

Nov 20, 2010 at 2:41 PM Post #822 of 864

Quote:
Based on this thread and all the high praise, I have placed an order for the Radius DDM through accessoryjack.com.
These will  be my first 'high SQ' headphones. Prior to these, I had the Sennheiser IE6 which are being serviced right now. Currently using standard Monster Turbines while I wait for my IE6 and these DDMs to arrive. I am tremendously excited. Thank you all for your well written impressions and reviews. 

Excellent. I hope they live up to your expectations. I still love mine too. Which color did you get? I am thinking about getting a black pair, even though I already have them in red. I'm just fiending for that less-offensive black version....

Nov 20, 2010 at 2:57 PM Post #823 of 864

Quote:
Quote:

Excellent. I hope they live up to your expectations. I still love mine too. Which color did you get? I am thinking about getting a black pair, even though I already have them in red. I'm just fiending for that less-offensive black version....

Ha! Me too! I keep trying to justify it to myself by saying I need a reserve pair just in case something horrible happens, but really it's because I want a black pair... I think if they were black/silver I'd have caved in by now.

Nov 20, 2010 at 3:18 PM Post #824 of 864

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ha! Me too! I keep trying to justify it to myself by saying I need a reserve pair just in case something horrible happens, but really it's because I want a black pair... I think if they were black/silver I'd have caved in by now.

Yeah, agreed.... black / silver would be perfection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back