Radius HP-TWF11r Review and Impressions thread
Sep 9, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #796 of 864
Still watching the thread with great interest. I must say that I confirm most of what is being said here but , like many, I did find Mark's comments about the bass strange, Mark is one of those headfiers whose opinion I always like to hear. I think there is also the excellent point made in the last post about these headphones not sounding good with every dap. At the moment I'm down to three, I give them away when I get bored with them!! On the two daps with rockbox, sansa clip and x5l, they sound great , but, on a recently aquired iaudio 7, they are less than brilliant ,sounding, if anything a little weak and flabby, somewhat like their owner. I have also tried them on a creative player and felt glad that I didn't own it. All my rockboxed have equaliser settings for my ER4s and with these settings I get a clear overall sound with excellent highs and a good though not too strong bassline in the background, clarity and sounsstage are emphasised with the overriding aspect of the headphones being one of great detail. I find them a great fun listen.

Sep 9, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #797 of 864

Quote:
Still watching the thread with great interest. I must say that I confirm most of what is being said here but , like many, I did find Mark's comments about the bass strange, Mark is one of those headfiers whose opinion I always like to hear. I think there is also the excellent point made in the last post about these headphones not sounding good with every dap. At the moment I'm down to three, I give them away when I get bored with them!! On the two daps with rockbox, sansa clip and x5l, they sound great , but, on a recently aquired iaudio 7, they are less than brilliant ,sounding, if anything a little weak and flabby, somewhat like their owner. I have also tried them on a creative player and felt glad that I didn't own it. All my rockboxed have equaliser settings for my ER4s and with these settings I get a clear overall sound with excellent highs and a good though not too strong bassline in the background, clarity and sounsstage are emphasised with the overriding aspect of the headphones being one of great detail. I find them a great fun listen.

That is one of the funniest things I've read on Head Fi in a while XD Don't beat yourself up. Maybe you just need a bit of EQing.

Anyway, yes since the Radius is dual driver, with what I imagine is a crossover, it will probably be finicky about sources the same way dual driver balanced armature IEM's are. It's not hard to drive, but it struggles with some sources I have. Sounds great on my iPhone 4 though, which makes me pretty satisfied.

Sep 9, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #798 of 864
Well, the iAudio series isn't known to be able to drive lowΩ earphones, so the bass presence can be lost. I'd imagine an old iPod nano would be similar, though it might put up better stereo separation as a plus.I scored another pair of DDM's, which is really cool. I can't wait to take them on the train here and get strange looks!

Sep 10, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #803 of 864
Mark, do you have any custom molds you could share pics of?  I'm curious as hell man.  
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 11, 2010 at 1:53 AM Post #804 of 864

Quote:
Well, the iAudio series isn't known to be able to drive lowΩ earphones, so the bass presence can be lost. I'd imagine an old iPod nano would be similar, though it might put up better stereo separation as a plus.I scored another pair of DDM's, which is really cool. I can't wait to take them on the train here and get strange looks!

You're a foreigner in Korea, per se, you are required to be strange!!!

Sep 11, 2010 at 2:37 AM Post #805 of 864
Sep 17, 2010 at 2:55 AM Post #807 of 864
Okay, I just took a chance and took off the metal DDM filters with a scalpel on the hunch that would lift the treble a little. They are secured with adhesive, so this mod is as far as I can tell, irreversible.

Good ol iPhone 4 HDR photos overblowing all the highlights there. Anyway, the results are:

Pretty good really. This won't turn the DDMs into RE0's, but it will lift the veil on the treble a bit - similar to performing the "treble boost" eq function on the iPod EQ (4.0 version) though not quite as dramatic. It isn't enough to introduce any sibilance, and doesn't change the overall character of the DDMs.

The main concern is earwax or hair ending up falling into that giant hole. I have the sticky kind of earwax as opposed to giant flakes, so I'm pretty set there, but I know a hair or two will eventually make its way in. Luckily I have one of those camera lens cleaners (the ones that look like strange minature space rockets) to blow the dust out if that does happen.

Anyone else want to give this a go? XD

Sep 17, 2010 at 4:11 AM Post #808 of 864
I did the same thing some months back but wasn't sure if I was actually hearing a little more forward extension in the high end or just imagining it. As a replacement filter I ended up doing what I previously did with my q-jays to replace their person product filters and placed a small piece of very thin open woven silk fabric over the end held in place by the silicon tip which works well as it can be easily changed when needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back