Radius DDM vs Panasonic HJE 900
Sep 6, 2010 at 12:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

nizarp

Head-Fier
Hi All,

Can anybody please compare the sound of Radius DDM and the Panasonic HJE 900. I am really confused between these two.

Thanks

Sep 6, 2010 at 12:46 PM Post #2 of 25

Quote:
Hi All,

Can anybody please compare the sound of Radius DDM and the Panasonic HJE 900. I am really confused between these two.

Thanks

Read this post below posted by a fellow Head-fi member who owns both Radius DDM and HJE900:
P.S. there are not many people out there who have those two in hand ready to compare so this one is very valuable post:

"There are unintended ways you can wear it so that it's the most comfortable IEM you'll ever use, but you might look a little silly :p
I don't see why people say nylon cables are microphonic. The DDM's cable is one of the least microphonic cables i've ever used, although it's way too prone to tangling. I have both the DDM and hje900 and I would easily choose DDM even with the price difference. In my opinion, the DDM has a fuller bass than the panasonics, with more extension as well. So much so, that I think it's too much for me occasionally, with the stock tips. Panasonics have more of a thin, punchy bass, which I think is just right, while the DDMs bass impact is enough to knock you out of your seat. The DDM is more of an indoors phone, since its poor isolation is perfect for being able to barely hear when other people are calling to you, and that you just look silly wearing it. The panasonics are coo' enough to wear outside, inside, anywhere 8),
but for pure sound and musical enjoyment, the DDM is on a completely different league above the panasonics
but now you're considering blox? that's an earbud o.O
so you don't need isolation? what"

Sep 6, 2010 at 12:52 PM Post #3 of 25
I have not owned either but have read:

The DDM is supposed to be bassy but with tremendous amounts of layering. The midrange is supposed to be a bit recessed. The over all sound signature is supposed to be similar to the IE8 but with better layering.

The HJE has a lot of bass as well but the treble is supposed to be very strong and has been decribed as harsh by some posters. 

Sep 6, 2010 at 12:52 PM Post #4 of 25
I dont have either of them any more but going from recent memory HJE900's are fast and punchy in the bass, much more energetic treble than DDM, midrange is lusher on DDM, bass is more organic and fatter on DDM but not as fast as HJE, DDM is more laid back with amazing 3D layering. I always preferred DDM but its bloody useless for out and about use. HJE's broke on me after a month.
You might want to consider Fischer eterna also, tis a sort of cross between the two, I have version 1 tho, not sure if v2 is as good. 

Sep 6, 2010 at 2:28 PM Post #5 of 25
What are your music preferences like? I only have the HJE, but from what I've read it does seem like the DDM is the superior phone overall. As described above, the HJEs are very energetic, while the DDM is smoother and more laid back. I'm really surprised pinkmoon's broke, since these are known to be some of the best built Headphones out there, surpassed only by some of the higher end Audiotechnicas. In anycase, if you don't have a huge need for treble or faster bass, the DDM seem like the way to go SQ wise. Just take into consideration that the HJE has better build quality, easily replaceable cables, an easier fit, and I think better Isolation(though still not really better than average). I've had a jogger run forcefully over mine on concrete(by accident) and they don't have so much as a scratch lol. My puppies chewed away one of my cables so that sound sometimes cuts off from the right side, but I just got sleek audio cables to replace them.

Sep 6, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #6 of 25
Thanks for all the inputs.

Let me try to be specific here. I usually listens to Rock/Pop and occasionally some HipHop tracks as well. My source would be Clip+ without any amp. I currently own Brainwavz M1 and my upgrade requirements are as follows.

1) Should have a little more punchy bass than M1 and it should not affect the Midrange quality.
2) Midrange and vocals should be at least as good as M1
3) Highs should have more extension and sparkle than the M1.
4) and a better soundstage than M1

I know I am asking for a lot, but I wanted to find out the closest one in the $100 range. I can get a OEM version of Radius DDM or a pair of new HJE 900 in this range. So I need you guys to decide the best one based on my requirements.

Also if any one can add any other options to this list, please do.

Sep 6, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #7 of 25
joker is probably one of the few who is qualified to answer that question.

However I've tried the clip+ with the DDM and they did not sound very good. If I use a dap it has to be with the J3 since the clip+ does not play it very well. Value of the DDM is pretty good but I'm not sure how it compares with the HJE900.

Sep 6, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #8 of 25

Quote:
Hi All,

Thanks

The HJE900 beats the DDM in the treble and sparkle department.  The DDM wins in mid and bass resolution but the mids were a bit grainier on the DDM if thats ok.  The DDM has its dual driver layering effect, the HJE900 can get wider in SS w/ the right tips IMO.  I prefer the HJE900 overall from fit, build, isolation, price, overall presentation.  Unless you are the type to go gah gah over the DDM type presentation I'd go for the HJE900.  YMMV, I'm running Sflo2 2.3 w/ E5. 

Sep 6, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #9 of 25

Quote:
Thanks for all the inputs.

Let me try to be specific here. I usually listens to Rock/Pop and occasionally some HipHop tracks as well. My source would be Clip+ without any amp. I currently own Brainwavz M1 and my upgrade requirements are as follows.

1) Should have a little more punchy bass than M1 and it should not affect the Midrange quality.
2) Midrange and vocals should be at least as good as M1
3) Highs should have more extension and sparkle than the M1.
4) and a better soundstage than M1

I know I am asking for a lot, but I wanted to find out the closest one in the $100 range. I can get a OEM version of Radius DDM or a pair of new HJE 900 in this range. So I need you guys to decide the best one based on my requirements.

Also if any one can add any other options to this list, please do.

Sorry, just read this.  Keep the M1 IMO.  Rockbox your Clip and use the EQ.  The M1 is a beast, neither the DDM or HJE900 will give you all those things you are looking for.  

1) DDM
2) M1 
3) HJE900 w/ less clarity and transaprency than the M1 though.
4) DDM or HJE900 depending on tips and ears

I don't think the HJE900 or DDM are good Clip candidates unamped.

Sep 6, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #11 of 25

Quote:
Sorry, just read this.  Keep the M1 IMO.  Rockbox your Clip and use the EQ.  The M1 is a beast, neither the DDM or HJE900 will give you all those things you are looking for.  

1) DDM
2) M1 
3) HJE900 w/ less clarity and transaprency than the M1 though.
4) DDM or HJE900 depending on tips and ears

I don't think the HJE900 or DDM are good Clip candidates unamped.

Thanks Anaxilus,

I have already rockboxed my clip+ and I am really enjoying the Midrange that the M1's produce and I feel like lacking some punch and sparkle. But I really dont want to compromise on the midrange clarity. Also I have no plans for upgrading the source player(clip+) in near future.
frown.gif

Sep 6, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #12 of 25
  I was in a similar dilemma as you 3 weeks ago. I didn't get the HJE900 because i don't like piercing/harsh highs. I also don't like midbass, and the panies have that as well. The build quality, cable, fit and comfort are excellent though. I decided to get the DDM although i was also considering the ie7 (maybe you should too).

The DDM doesn't have recessed mids, the mids infact are the meat of their presentation. They are not grainy, they are smooth detailed with a great timbre.The bass is fast when it needs to be, it just has great decay when it's supposed to. What is recessed, is the high end, so if you want sparkle, better look elsewhere (or EQ them). You can also read my take on the DDM here : http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/510556/bassier-flatter-sounding-step-up-from-ue-superfi-3-studios#post_6907405 .

Sep 6, 2010 at 6:34 PM Post #13 of 25
I too really enjoy the mids on m1s which i found fuller/lusher than other much pricier iems, it's really a revelation. Really doubt the pannys will give you that so i would rule that one out. The only one that found close so far are the MD tributes (which are much much pricier) and even then I still haven't given it a good analysis as my MDs are still burnin in. The DDMs are said to have a signature similar to the MDs where the mids are meat/focus of the sound sig so i'll give that a shot. Be ready to miss a good fit and isolation thought, but your mileage may vary as some can actually have no problems.

edit: I would also look at the Hippo Gumstick to give the new iems justice. They are a good option if you are looking for a good DAP on budget.

Sep 6, 2010 at 6:48 PM Post #14 of 25

Quote:
  The DDM doesn't have recessed mids, the mids infact are the meat of their presentation. They are not grainy, they are smooth detailed with a great timbre.

Well, when I AB'd the DDMs to my MD's the mids were grainier everytime to my ears.  This wasn't a burn in issue or anything else, it was 100% consistent.  I've said before if I had only heard the DDM I'd be more than happy.  But swapping back and forth it was clear to me.  YMMV.

Sep 6, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #15 of 25

Quote:
Well, when I AB'd the DDMs to my MD's the mids were grainier everytime to my ears.  This wasn't a burn in issue or anything else, it was 100% consistent.  I've said before if I had only heard the DDM I'd be more than happy.  But swapping back and forth it was clear to me.  YMMV.

I haven't heard the MDs, i thought you were comparing them to the panies which have recessed mids. As for the MDs, i will take your word mate
regular_smile .gif
. Can you make a short comparison between the MDs and the DDMs (bass, mids, treble, soundstage)? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back