Radiohead in LIEK ten days!
Jun 10, 2003 at 10:33 PM Post #46 of 71
ok computer ripped fine on my md deck. that's what i'll be using for httt, toslink to md. i just do not want to see the dreaded "no copy" message.

Jun 10, 2003 at 11:11 PM Post #47 of 71
Ya i just noticed that the copy i borrow is pretty scratched up which is driving the error correction just insane. haha estimated finish time: 67 hours whatever i need to buy a copy anyways

Jun 10, 2003 at 11:49 PM Post #49 of 71
Ok I have listened to HTTT, quick impressions:

Is it better vs Amnesiac:
yes, vast improvement for me over Kid A/Amnesiac material

Is it as good as OK Computer/Bends:
no, those are much stronger total albums track for track

It it a great album:
no, worth having but not Radioheads best work

Does it have some great songs:
yes, 2+2=5 is best song since OK Computer glory days, too bad every song on HTTT is not of this high level.

Jun 10, 2003 at 11:59 PM Post #50 of 71
I personally think that both there there and myxamatosis are better than 2+2=5 and i do think its one of the best cds to come out in a loooooooong time, definitely deserves the rolling stone 4star review

Jun 11, 2003 at 12:00 AM Post #51 of 71
Quote:

Originally posted by SBomm
What are the differences in the packaging for the regular and special editions?

There's a fold out "poster" and the booklet is glued down, nothing really special if you ask me.

Jun 11, 2003 at 12:13 AM Post #52 of 71
I've only listened to the early mix but polished or not it's still what the songs are going to sound like. I've been listening to OK Computer lately and no way HTTT beats it. It's still a good album though and I'd agree with the 4 out of 5 rating. Now I just need to get my ass over to Circuit City today...

Jun 11, 2003 at 1:23 AM Post #53 of 71
Quote:

Reviews? It's radiohead! Pfft. Don't need no stinkin' reviews

I meant comparasons between the packaging of the two versions
smily_headphones1.gif
Since i already have the music, don't need to run out grab the CD on the first day like past releases.....

I've had the original unmastered version, and a later version which was supposed to be the mastered version, but apparently there have been further changes on the real release? Ah well, after reading that this might be THE LAST radiohead album (their contract expires with parlophone after HTTT, and they're considering only releasing EP's and singles in the future), I went ahead and ordered the special edition.

There seems to be 3 versions out, the normal cd case version, the special edition, and a third that says "promotional copy" on the front instead of "special edition" and is selling for $50 + on ebay.

Here's one of them, and it mentions the copy protection in the listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...9&category=307

and here's a pic of the japanese edition,with the copy protection sticker on the front:
radio01.jpg

But like anything the record industry can come up with, it seems like the system doesn't work... (maybe also depends on which country you're in?) I do most of my listening on my laptop with MPC, so i'm glad to hear that it works. I've riped my 5 year old copy of OK computer, no problems except for the tons of scratches from repeated listening
smily_headphones1.gif

Judging from the leaked versions, my ranking is:

OK computer
HTTT
The bends
Kid A
Amnesiac
Pablo Honey

Not totally sure if HTTT is really better than the bends, i'll need the final version to tell for sure....

Jun 11, 2003 at 2:07 AM Post #54 of 71
The leaked "mastered" copies that were on the net a few weeks ago were indeed the final album copies. Or, at least so similar that I could not tell the difference. Yep. They're identical.

Jun 11, 2003 at 4:14 AM Post #56 of 71
Quote:

Originally posted by thomas

There seems to be 3 versions out, the normal cd case version, the special edition, and a third that says "promotional copy" on the front instead of "special edition" and is selling for $50 + on ebay.

Here's one of them, and it mentions the copy protection in the listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...9&category=307

that special version is the version australia gets. what is the special version america gets then? woah, $50US pretty steep, anybody want me to purchase a copy for them?
biggrin.gif

Jun 11, 2003 at 5:43 AM Post #57 of 71
I listened to HTTP, sorry HTTT (is that title a special thank to the one who originated the leak?). After 1-2 listening, I think it is a bit early to judge.

I personnaly liked the previous two albums and don't think they are of lower quality than OK Computer. So far, I have the same feeling with HTTT. Artistically, it is somewhere in between OK Computer and Amnesiac. I like 5+5=2 a lot, and there seems to be a lot of original stuff in the album.

This might not be MTV caliber, but we should be thankful for that!!!

Arnaud.

PS: Damn me!!! I saw the Japanese edition at the Narita airport yesterday I did not buy it because 24 USD felt like ... twice the price I paid in the US today. If I had known it is worth $50 on ebay!! ;o).

Jun 11, 2003 at 1:33 PM Post #58 of 71
Quote:

Wow... becomethemould you are right, cos that's the version that I have! I got mine from JB-HiFi and it cost me AU$27.00, which should be around US$15.00. What gives? And the funny thing is, I tried to pull the map OUT of the booklet (it was just slightly glued inside with what looked like temporary glue for sticking down labels and such) thinking that it was a poster. And so there I was halfway through and the paper started to rip. I was doing this in front of my friend and my face must have been OMG, and he just started cracking up.
Rather funny but tragic at the same time.
confused.gif
eek.gif
frown.gif

It is definitely too early for me to rank HTTT amongst their other albums. But I have a feeling that it is an album that would be a grower over a long time and improve with repeated listens. And that usually means it is/will be a very good album. How smooth is that groove in A Punch Up At A Wedding?
cool.gif

Jun 11, 2003 at 9:19 PM Post #59 of 71
The Australian version (EMI) is "copy controlled". Naughty fellows! Now I have to import one that I can put on my iPod and toss this one. And I'm not installing their player.

Can anyone confirm that the US version is NOT copy "copy controlled" so I can order it?

edit:

I will be returning this CD to the store.

I have been able to rip it with EAC - in the table of contents the Copy Control content is labelled "CC ****". Apparently the audio on the CD that will play in EMI's included player is 48kbit!!!

I'll also be buying a non Copy Control copy of this CD if someone confirms the US version is OK. I value my collection and support artists, but I will make damn sure EMI Australia get no money from me.

Jun 11, 2003 at 10:07 PM Post #60 of 71
if you end up with a copy protected cd, you should return it to the store as defective. technically, any cd with copy protection does not meet the redbook standard set by sony & philips, and is not a true compact disc.

-edit-
has anyone tried to rip it to minidisc digitally yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back