Radians custom molded ear plugs/custom iem plug
Aug 8, 2010 at 12:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Swingtops

Head-Fier
Radians offers a custom molded ear plug that you can make at home for about $15. If anyone is in need of hearing protection I would highly recommend them. I shoot competitively and I can wear these plugs all day without any discomfort. I also use them on my motorcycle under my helmet - again work great.

I was also able to successfully mate these to my klipsch custom 3 iems.  The fit is amazing and I can now use them under my helmet as well with no discomfort.

The process I used was to take about half of the material ( a two part putty ) knead it together as per the instructions and insert into the ear.

As soon as I have the material far enough in my ear that it won't go any further comfortably, I insert the iem as if I were going to wear it normally ( don't worry about damaging your drivers as the pressure inside the driver will keep the putty from getting too far in).

Wait about 10 minutes for the putty to set up a little and then remove the plug and let cure ( either until you cannot make a dimple with your finger nail or over night)

After curing remove the iem, take a small drill bit (.1 - .125in ) and drill a hole connecting the tip of the plug with cavity left by the iem ( I did this by hand - no drill required )

Make sure you have a clean hole with no leftover shavings and re insert the iem into the plug - enjoy

Hope some other people will try this out - I am really impressed by what about 15 minutes of work can do for comfort and stability

I think you could make this work with something like an iBud too but I think it would work better with something that has a removable tip.

I'll post pics when I get a chance

These kits are available at Wal-Mart online, Scheel's or your local gun store

Aug 8, 2010 at 1:00 PM Post #2 of 20
Damm, i'm paying $US130 for custom sleeves for ER-4Ps from a local company, Pacific Ears. I have to wait another month for an appointment at a audiologist to get impressions done. I'm getting rather impatient waiting.

Aug 8, 2010 at 1:03 PM Post #3 of 20
iv been looking for a cheaper way to do something like this, here its £90 (english £) for custom sleeves + £40 for audiologist.
if anyone knows where i can get these in the uk please let me know.

also as for fitting iems im guessing you need one with long ish and non concealed nozzle, not the shure se530 for example.
be interesting to see your pics

Aug 8, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #4 of 20
Actually I think you could make an SE530 work. I believe the key is to have the removable tips, otherwise there is nothing for the plug to grab on to.

Aug 10, 2010 at 5:12 AM Post #5 of 20
but with iems like the 530 the nozzle isnt straight from the body, like the klipsch.
but you are probably right

id love to see your pics, see how the body rests on the plug. 

Aug 10, 2010 at 11:45 PM Post #7 of 20
^^ Nice haha, anyway my apologies for not getting these up sooner. They could use some trimming but they work for now so I'm not messing with them

Aug 10, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #9 of 20
looks like ear impressions (but just the ear canal areas) with a hole drilled in them

Aug 10, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #10 of 20
Ha! Not quite - not real wild about the color but that's what the store had.

Sep 3, 2010 at 12:38 AM Post #12 of 20
I've made my own Radians custom tips, and they work to complete perfection with my Etymotic ER-4B.  Sound signature is unchanged, comfort is simply unbeatable.  They're ugly when removed from my ears, but they look great when worn since I took care to smooth them out properly. 

I used the method where I mixed the silicone, applied them to the tipless IEMs, then inserted the whole shebang into my ears.  I took care to make sure that none of it accumulated in front of the nozzle to be forced into contact with my eardrums. 

Sep 4, 2010 at 1:03 PM Post #15 of 20
Anyone knows where to get this in Spain?

Looks awesome. Probably the results are much worse than custom tips or custom IEM's, but darn, with that price one can't be wrong!!!!!

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back