Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Feb 17, 2024 at 11:05 PM Post #7,666 of 7,880
Thanks guys. Interestingly the VM1 has the "disadvantage" of having an output transformer and that's widely regarded as the best ribbon amp. Seems the right pairing of tube speaker amp + TI-1b should be able to get close in performance to the VM1. Furthermore Alex even has stated having two smaller transformers can have benefits such as lower parasitic inductance (such as two 10:1 transformers vs a single 100:1) and in theory the TI-1b could perform better than a direct drive amp because of this.
VM has toroidal output transfomers designed by Menno Van Der Ven.
With a single toroid, you actually can sort out the parasitic inductance at 100:1 ratios.
You can't do that as easily with other cores that are not all covered with windings. It can be done, but at much greater complexity.

With the majority of tube amps out there that have their transformers optimized for ~20:1 ratio, the TI adds the missing ratio ( ~5.5:1 for the 8 Ohms version) with very little parasitics of it's own, allowing those amps to be used with very little penalty, like detectable by measurements but not significant enough to be audible as a difference.

It's the same thing we're doing in tweeters for speakers. Every True-Ribbon tweeter has a built-in impedance matching transformer, converting it to 8 Ohms, but the bandwidth is there, transparency is there, all good. Whether you play that speaker on solid-state or tube amps, the highs are usually better than with other types of tweeters, there's more detail, more air, so much so that historically, it was never necessary to make direct drive amps for ribbon tweeters. If the transformer was such a disadvantage, direct drive ribbon tweeters would have to come to exist by now, but they don't.

So, there's no real drama here. Just engineering problems that were successfully solved long ago and then adjusted for headphone application.

The problem with ribbon headphones is that I have to split the system. I can't put transformers on your head because of weight, so I had to engineer cables that will connect the transformer to the ribbon, with the least penalty possible. The cable is the real problem in this equation, not the transformer, but that's whole another story...

In essence, it's a system where cable must meet 0.25 Ohms and <0.8uH at total desired length, to be able to work with TI and VM.
The HSA, because of a ballast resistor, doesn't need the right cable resistance and it walks all over 4x greater cable inductance.
JotR needs a cable of >0.4 Ohms, preferably with 1.8uH at total length.

Last edited:
RAAL 1995 Stay updated on RAAL 1995 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/raalribbon https://raalribbon.com/
Feb 18, 2024 at 10:06 AM Post #7,667 of 7,880
JotR needs a cable of >0.4 Ohms, preferably with 1.8uH at total length.
So which cable is preferred with JotR? My options... Original, SC2, or Star 8.

Is it a different choice for SR vs CA?

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2024 at 12:41 PM Post #7,668 of 7,880
So which cable is preferred with JotR? My options... Original, SC2, or Star 8.

Is it a different choice for SR vs CA?
RAAL-requisite used to make a cable for JotR called Deluxe. It had the right resistance (0.4 Ohms) as anything below that made the amp distort early and become "nervous" up at the top.
I wouldn't recommend our new cables, SC2 or STAR-8 as they are 0.25 Ohms.

Danny doesn't keep stock of Deluxe cable for JotR, but he can make them and send for a trial...

Feb 18, 2024 at 12:45 PM Post #7,669 of 7,880
RAAL-requisite used to make a cable for JotR called Deluxe. It had the right resistance (0.4 Ohms) as anything below that made the amp distort early and become "nervous" up at the top.

Danny doesn't keep stock of Deluxe cable for JotR, but he can make them and send for a trial...
I had that cable for the JotR. It did sound better than the other cables on the JotR, especially the stock cable.

The JotR is surpassed by a massive margin by my Schitt Mjolnir preamp (from 2023) | Schitt Aegir amp | RAAL TI-1b | Start8 or SR728 cable. Getting these items used is not that costly.

Feb 18, 2024 at 1:06 PM Post #7,670 of 7,880
I had that cable for the JotR. It did sound better than the other cables on the JotR, especially the stock cable.

The JotR is surpassed by a massive margin by my Schitt Mjolnir preamp (from 2023) | Schitt Aegir amp | RAAL TI-1b | Start8 or SR728 cable. Getting these items used is not that costly.
Which Mjölnir are we talking here?
1, 2, or 3?

Feb 18, 2024 at 2:39 PM Post #7,674 of 7,880
Which Mjölnir are we talking here?
1, 2, or 3?
https://www.schiit.com/products/mjolnir-3

It is not good as my Holo Audio Serene or my Benchmark LA4 preamps. I use those 2 with my 2-channel Yamaha NS5000 and the Magnepan LRS+ speakers. The LA4 is not good with the RAAL phones and the Holo is not great either.

On a 2-cnannel setup for the RAAL phones I needed some warmth. The Schitt gear I listed above are Class A and has the needed warmth. It is great for the price though not as good as the Class A I had on a now sold KRELL Duo 175XD amp and my current CODA #16 amp. While the CODA #16 and the Mjolnir preamp sound great with the RAAL phones it is a ridiculous price combo for the RAAL phones.

Interestingly the bass I got from the CODA #16 and Mjolnir preamp was even stronger than the VM-1a. The CODA #16 is a bass monster. The VM-1a is my best setup for the RAALs.

I also like the new Mjolnir much more than the Schitt Freya+ that I sold. I liked the Freya+ but the Mjolnir sounds better to me.

Edit
I should add that the headphone output of the Mjolnir can be use with the RAALs using a special cable from Danny. However, the preamp lacks enough power for the phones. I think the new phones will work with the Mjolnir

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2024 at 2:41 PM Post #7,675 of 7,880
Feb 18, 2024 at 2:44 PM Post #7,676 of 7,880
better yet why?
Exactly!

From Danny...

Jot R, being direct drive, I've never tried TI with it. Should function, however, without listening, I can't say how well it would
work/sound.

Also, a special adapter cable would need to be made. Inputs on TI are wired to standard 4-pin headphone. Output on Jot R is wired for ribbon headphone.

Feb 18, 2024 at 2:57 PM Post #7,677 of 7,880

After a post like this... I wonder how many people realize they are using the wrong cable? 😁

Feb 18, 2024 at 3:04 PM Post #7,678 of 7,880
If anyone has a Deluxe cable they'd like to sell? Please PM me.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2024 at 5:24 PM Post #7,679 of 7,880
They are much different.

What comes in the package with the TI is the SC2 headphone cable. That's the standard cable, Copper coaxial with low inductance, very low crosstalk, made only in 5ft9" for 0.23 Ohms resistance.
Matches to everything we make, Solid-State HSA amp, old RI interface and transformer based outputs (TI and VM-1a amp). Doesn't work well on JotunheimR.
If bought separately, from October the 1st, the price for it will be $195.00

STAR-8 is a Pure Silver cable, Star-octo topology, ultra-low inductance, ultra-low crosstalk.
Available in two lengths, 6ft (0.23 Ohms) and 10ft (0.41 Ohms).
6ft length matches superbly to everything. The price for it will be $1100.00.
10ft. is more suited to VM and HSA, as the 0.41 Ohms, eats up more power with the TI and makes 50/25 Ohms at it's input instead of 32/16. The price for it will be $1500.00.

Aleks mentioned it previously. When I asked Danny and David they didn't think it was a problem. Have to say I am not noticing any negative effects with the SC2 but audio-nervosa and all makes me want to get a deluxe.

Feb 18, 2024 at 7:06 PM Post #7,680 of 7,880
After a post like this... I wonder how many people realize they are using the wrong cable? 😁
Well, they're not very wrong and everything works, but not at its best.
Since the headphones themselves are 0.02 Ohms, the cable is what almost exclusively loads the JotR.
Once you go to 0.4 Ohms and use a normal cable inductance to round the top a bit, it becomes a pleasurable listening experience that you can spend the whole day listening to. The sound just settles down into a smooth sound without grain or nervousness, because the JotR isn't forced to work as hard any more. This will also somewhat reduce heating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back