Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Feb 6, 2024 at 1:17 PM Post #7,591 of 7,898
From the 6moons article it seems to suggest that the VM-1a is no longer in production anywhere. I looked at SAEQ's site and it's not there either. I guess I got lucky with purchasing one. The 6moons article hints at a new tube amp though. I'm guessing that will replace the VM?

Edit: nevermind, it looks like Solaja still makes the VM

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2024 at 1:24 PM Post #7,592 of 7,898
I saw a comment from the Solaja owner saying he was ceasing VM1a production to focus on new projects (that 300b amp Aleks mentioned recently in this thread).

OTOH, Headphone Auditions in Amsterdam, NL told me earlier this week that VM's are available on a 45 day leadtime. I am still debating whether to take him up on that.

I recently purchased the TI-1b and am running my AHB2 through it as I type this. I am quite pleasantly surprised by how much it improves on the old resistor interface. Significant increase in instrument separation and detail excavation.

Feb 6, 2024 at 1:28 PM Post #7,593 of 7,898
I saw a comment from the Solaja owner saying he was ceasing VM1a production to focus on new projects (that 300b amp Aleks mentioned recently in this thread).

OTOH, Headphone Auditions in Amsterdam, NL told me earlier this week that VM's are available on a 45 day leadtime. I am still debating whether to take him up on that.

I recently purchased the TI-1b and am running my AHB2 through it as I type this. I am quite pleasantly surprised by how much it improves on the old resistor interface. Significant increase in instrument separation and detail excavation.
Interesting. I'm guessing this new 300B will be the preferable way to listen to the new 3 ribbon. I guess we'll wait and see. I really don't want to buy yet another amp for just ribbon headphones, but if the sound quality is there, I guess it might be worth it. I just wonder if the VM will be obsolete once the new tube amp comes. Resell value will probably be terrible. We don't know when this new 300B amp will be coming out, but I'd probably hold off on buying the VM at this point, though it is very amazing with the CA (I'm actually listening to it right now).

Feb 6, 2024 at 1:57 PM Post #7,594 of 7,898
Interesting. I'm guessing this new 300B will be the preferable way to listen to the new 3 ribbon. I guess we'll wait and see. I really don't want to buy yet another amp for just ribbon headphones, but if the sound quality is there, I guess it might be worth it. I just wonder if the VM will be obsolete once the new tube amp comes. Resell value will probably be terrible. We don't know when this new 300B amp will be coming out, but I'd probably hold off on buying the VM at this point, though it is very amazing with the CA (I'm actually listening to it right now).
As Aleks has stated that they’re not chasing power anymore for the new phones I’m guessing that the new 300B amp will require the interface box. It could be Cigga that your VM will be the only direct-drive tube amplifier for the Raal’s that’s ever made. That might mean it will retain its value. Now there’s a thought 🤔

Feb 6, 2024 at 3:50 PM Post #7,595 of 7,898
My understanding from Danny is that the new 300B amplifier is still in development, not in production. It will not make the VM obsolete in any sense as a great (still best?) amplifier for the new two and three motor headphones. Remember, they are actually more efficient than the SR, so should rock on the VM. The new amplifier is also rumored to drive conventional headphones and will likely be more expensive than the VM was, as most 300B variants are. When I spoke to Danny recently, he said he still has ONE VM1a left for sale, the last one in the US. My prediction is the new Raal 1995 headphones will reinforce the value of the VM. Of course it is possible they may still be available in Europe as special order, I do not know this.

In the meantime, I am told my pre-ordered Magna will ship in 2-3 weeks, and I may also be getting an Immanis at the same time for photography purposes. I will be very happy to report back to all of you "regulars" here how they sound on the VM and vs. the SR1a, but Danny has already confirmed to me that they sound amazing on the VM and in my experience he's always right!

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2024 at 3:57 PM Post #7,596 of 7,898
My understanding from Danny is that the new 300B amplifier is still in development, not in production. It will not make the VM obsolete in any sense as a great (still best?) amplifier for the new two and three motor headphones. Remember, they are actually more efficient than the SR, so should rock on the VM. The new amplifier is also rumored to drive conventional headphones and will likely be more expensive than the VM was, as most 300B variants are. When I spoke to Danny recently, he said he still has ONE VM1a left for sale, the last one in the US. My prediction is the new Raal 1915 headphones will reinforce the value of the VM. Of course it is possible they may still be available in Europe as special order, I do not know this.

In the meantime, I am told my pre-ordered Magna will ship in 2-3 weeks, and I may also be getting an Immanis at the same time for photography purposes. I will be very happy to report back to all of you "regulars" here how they sound on the VM and vs. the SR1a, but Danny has already confirmed to me that they sound amazing on the VM and in my experience he's always right!
I bought one of the last VM's from Danny. He may have one left.

I spoke with someone today on Audiogon. He told me he needs to raise cash for a new 2-channel speaker and is considering selling the VM and the SR1a. Send me a message if you want more details. The potential seller is in Sacramento, CA, USA.

Feb 6, 2024 at 7:32 PM Post #7,597 of 7,898
As Aleks has stated that they’re not chasing power anymore for the new phones I’m guessing that the new 300B amp will require the interface box. It could be Cigga that your VM will be the only direct-drive tube amplifier for the Raal’s that’s ever made. That might mean it will retain its value. Now there’s a thought 🤔
The first Ribbon direct drive amp was Schiit Jotunheim R, the second was HSA-1a, and later HSA-1b (now in C version by SAEQ) and the third one was VM-1a.

Yes, the upcoming 300B² will not a have a direct-drive output for ribbon headphones. It will drive speakers and headphones, but it won't be saving money for the Interface like the VM does.

RAAL 1995 Stay updated on RAAL 1995 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/raalribbon https://raalribbon.com/
Feb 6, 2024 at 8:13 PM Post #7,598 of 7,898
Yes, the upcoming 300B² will not a have a direct-drive output for ribbon headphones.
The lack of a direct drive is pretty significant in my mind. With the CA-1a, for me, the VM-1a absolutely trounces my regular amp through the interface--and that's with a pretty good regular amp (Zahl). I imagine the VM-1a's ability to direct drive has to be part of the reason. Strangely, for me, the SR1a is pretty close to equal off the Zahl+interface when using the Mitch filter vs the VM-1a. I wonder whether the Immanis will massively benefit from the direct-drive VM-1a like the CA-1a does, or whether the difference will be small or none like with the SR1a.

As an aside, I also wonder if Solaja's upcoming 300B amp will compete with the very best tube amps at the summit of summit-fi for other (non-ribbon) HPs. Could it beat the Trafomatic Primavera, for instance? That'd really be something.

Feb 11, 2024 at 10:55 AM Post #7,599 of 7,898
Strangely, for me, the SR1a is pretty close to equal off the Zahl+interface when using the Mitch filter vs the VM-1a.
With my Simaudio Moon 600i and the TI-1a... this has been my experience as well... Heck, the Jotunheim R is not that far off either.

I'm getting another set of CA-1a this week... Anxious to try them again.

High hopes!

Feb 11, 2024 at 10:56 AM Post #7,600 of 7,898
Does anyone have the hard carry case for the CA-1a?

Can you post a picture of the inside?

Feb 11, 2024 at 1:48 PM Post #7,601 of 7,898
The lack of a direct drive is pretty significant in my mind. With the CA-1a, for me, the VM-1a absolutely trounces my regular amp through the interface--and that's with a pretty good regular amp (Zahl). I imagine the VM-1a's ability to direct drive has to be part of the reason. Strangely, for me, the SR1a is pretty close to equal off the Zahl+interface when using the Mitch filter vs the VM-1a. I wonder whether the Immanis will massively benefit from the direct-drive VM-1a like the CA-1a does, or whether the difference will be small or none like with the SR1a.

As an aside, I also wonder if Solaja's upcoming 300B amp will compete with the very best tube amps at the summit of summit-fi for other (non-ribbon) HPs. Could it beat the Trafomatic Primavera, for instance? That'd really be something.
Yeah, I was interested in it when I thought it was direct drive. No reason for me to buy it without that though since I already have a good 300B tube speaker amp.

Feb 11, 2024 at 3:01 PM Post #7,602 of 7,898
the VM-1a is a special amp ...I agree it trounces anything else I have used with the SR and the CA..the HSA-1b is pretty good too..direct drive is the way to go IMHO

Feb 11, 2024 at 3:31 PM Post #7,603 of 7,898
the VM-1a is a special amp ...I agree it trounces anything else I have used with the SR and the CA..the HSA-1b is pretty good too..direct drive is the way to go IMHO
I completely agree. While it's great that RAAL made available the TI-1b & c transformers for those that want to dip their toe in without committing to a dedicated amplifier, I personally would only use an interface if I had no other amplification options available to me. The less things in the signal path, the better.

Feb 11, 2024 at 3:42 PM Post #7,604 of 7,898
Can I very humbly suggest that your statement WAS correct for those of you able to experience the obvious joy the VM-1a has given you (and will continue to give you) but the use of the present tense ‘IS the way to go’ is not futureworld according to the man himself. On the 1995 thread Alex told us today of the amps he’s used to ‘voice’ the Immanis and others also used in testing. But the important point Aleks made is that the new phones no longer need the powerful warm sounding amps like the SR1 did, that the choice now is much wider, more based on personal preference than the demands made by the phones. Also, the VM-1a is now discontinued as is the HSA-1b so the HSA-1c is I think the only direct drive amp currently being manufactured. If direct drive IS the way to go surely Alex would have maintained their availability. I’m just offering a different point of view, nothing else.

Feb 11, 2024 at 4:19 PM Post #7,605 of 7,898
I think it is quite obvious that in order for RAAL to create more of a mass manufactured product not a niche product they need to move beyond the direct drive amps because it is tough to convince people to spend a large amount of money to drive only one HP..it was tough for me to convince myself to spend the money for the VM-1a given that it could only drive the RAAL hp's like the HSA-1b did...the adapters make the HP's more available to a larger number of people and I get that...given that, I find the VM-1a far better than the alternatives amps with adapters...just my 2 cents!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back