Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Jan 26, 2024 at 10:34 PM Post #7,531 of 7,898
I had forgotten which TI-1b output works best with my Schitt stack, so I had to do testing on that all over again. I found the 16 Ohm connection was noticeably better. A search on this thread shows similar sentiment. Should have just searched first.

As I am trying to work in the VM-1a, I am comparing it to the TI-1b (16 Ohm). It is so close. The VM-1a is a bit more relaxed and cleaner but the slightly rougher sounding Schitt stack maybe preferred on some music. At this early point on the VM-1a, the VM-1a is better but not that much better.

One reason I bought the VM-1a again is that I think it will shine with the new phones, which are said to be like the SR1a and CA-1a mixed together. I shall see.

Of note is how hot the Class A Schitt stack gets. The preamp and amp combine to be almost as hot as the VM-1a.
I find the VM-1a head and shoulders better than than better amps than the schitt amp so we all hear things differently,plus it is a huge hassle to me to use the adapters for the sr1a unless you use the Mitch filters which do it

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2024 at 11:17 PM Post #7,532 of 7,898
I think the Schitt Aegir is a great match for the TI-1b and RAAL phones. It is 20-watts of pure Class A. The same amount of power as the VM-1a in Pentode mode.

I never underestimate Schitt for quality and price. For example, I like the $2.4k Yggi+ Less Is More DAC over the $15k Lumin X1 DAC/Streamer. The streamer part is amazing on the X1, while I like the Yggi+ LIM over the DAC in the X1. That savings allowed me to buy a great 2-channel speaker. Thank you Schitt.

The only issue with the Aegir is that it has a faint mechanical noise. As you see in the photo my Aegir is right next to my office sitting position. This noise is not audible unless I get real close to the amp. The sonics of the amp are not affected by this mechanical noise. For $699, that little gremlin is OK for me.

I have a CODA #16 in my Livingroom system. That is a highly regarded amp with massive power. I will do a test with that and the TI-1b later but last time I used the #16 with the TI-1b I got even better bass out of it than what I recalled with the VM-1a (old one). The CODA has the first 100 watts in Class A and the rest Class AB. It goes from 150 } 300 | 600 watts at 8 | 4 | 2 Ohm.

Don't get me wrong, the VM-1a is the king of the hill in my house, but it is very close with the competitors using the TI-1b. As I said before Danny thinks I am wrong about the modded PeachTree GAN1. He did not listen to the Schitt stack I have visible in the photo.

However, for people that do not want to spend as much as I did. I know you can get to a very close sonic approximation with much cheaper options and the TI-1b.

Jan 26, 2024 at 11:47 PM Post #7,533 of 7,898
The DAC has 3 live outputs, and the 2 RCA outputs go into the VM-1a and the Mjolnir. I have a Benchmark cable that takes the RCA from the YGGI+ and goes into the XLR input of the VM-1a.
Apologies for the dumb question, but why not just go XLR out of the Yggi direct to the XLR in of the VM-1a?

Jan 26, 2024 at 11:49 PM Post #7,534 of 7,898
Apologies for the dumb question, but why not just go XLR out of the Yggi direct to the XLR in of the VM-1a?
You do not see it all in the photo, but my Benchmark LA4 preamp is connected to a Sanders Magtech amp and that drives Magnepan LRS+ speakers. I listen to that all day while I work, and I want XLR out of the Yggi+ to the LA4.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2024 at 12:24 AM Post #7,535 of 7,898
You do not see it all in the photo, but my Benchmark LA4 preamp is connected to a Sanders Magtech amp and that drives Magnepan LRS+ speakers. I listen to that all day while I work, and I want XLR out of the Yggi+ to the LA4.
Ah, your balanced out on the Yggi is dedicated to the LA4, so you have no choice but to adapt the RCA to XLR for the VM-1a, right? Got it. I've never tested myself, but I wonder if that SE to balanced adapter isn't part of the reason your VM-1a isn't easily distancing itself from your Schitt stack? Might be worth moving the XLRs from the LA4 to the VM-1a just to test it out for a bit. With the CA-1a (less so with the SR1a), the VM-1a is a giant leap up from my CFA3 and Zahl HM1, to my ears.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2024 at 12:26 AM Post #7,536 of 7,898
Ah, your balanced out on the Yggi is dedicated to the LA4, so you have no choice but to adapt the RCA to XLR for the VM-1a, right? Got it. I've never tested myself, but I wonder if that SE to balanced adapter isn't part of the reason your VM-1a isn't easily distancing itself from your Schitt stack? Might be worth moving the XLRs from the LA4 to the VM-1a just to test it out for a bit. With the CA-1 (less so with the SR1a), the VM-1a is a giant leap up from my CFA3 and Zahl HM1, to my ears.
I will try that out. Maybe tonight.

Jan 27, 2024 at 2:58 AM Post #7,537 of 7,898
I am going back and forth between the Schitt stack and the VM-1a. The Yggi+ XLR out is now going into the VM-1a. The Schitt uses the same RCA as before. However, this time both cables are Audience AU24 SE. This is a pretty good cable and for some gear it makes a difference. For others, like my Benchmark preamp, amp, and DAC not so much.

Interestingly with the Audience AU24 SE RCA and XLR cable these 2 units now sound more alike. Obviously these 2 systems are affected by the source cable. The Benchmark cable was not bad, but it has a different sonic signature and is slightly less detailed. However, the conversion from RCA to XLR is done well.

The VM-1a with the Audience AU24 SE has a bit more air on top and a bit cleaner sound. However, again it is not that much better than the Schiit stack. As I am concentrating writing this, I have to look to see what amp I am listening too. When I concentrate, I can pick out the amp, but the Schitt stack is at that 90% level of the VM for me. This is not to disparage the VM-1a, it sounds amazing. Just like I remember when I had the Lumin X1 streaming to it. I think RAAL just made the TI-1b so good and the Class A Schitt gear is also so good for this 20-watt application, that the sound is very close.

Just now the Neil Young song Harvest Moon came on and the acoustic guitar sounded so fine on the VM-1a. I switch to the Schitt stack and that also sounds fine. I had to look again just now to see what I was listening to.

The Schitt Aegir has been compared favorably to the Nelson Pass First Watt amps. I was planning on getting the First Watt if the 15-day trial of the Aegir turned out bad. After 2 days with the Schitt stack I threw out all the shipping boxes. What I feel I have done is created a massively improved Schitt Jotunheim using the Schitt Aegir+ Mjolnir stack.

In summary, the VM-1a is a little cleaner sounding with a bit more precision. The Schitt has the sound slightly grouped together (a bit thicker). An example of this subtle extra clarity is in the Beatles song The Long and Winding Road. Around the 3:16 mark, you can hear Paul sing "Don't keep me waiting". On the VM-1a this is easier to hear. You also hear it on the Schitt stack but just not as clean. I will keep using the XLR from the Yggi+ LIM into the VM-1a. I will use RCA from the Yggi+ into the LA4 preamp, just need to find a good RCA.

The Yggi+ LIM is not all rainbows and unicorns. It has a bad feature of going to sleep. When I stream on ROON, there is sometimes a bit of a lag between songs. Schitt messes this up by going to 'sleep' (or whatever). This shows up as an occasional missed first note. I can live with that for the price and sound quality of this DAC. I talked to Schitt about this, but they did not buy my explanation.

My Benchmark AHB2 amp that is sitting idle is better than the Aegir. It will be very good with the Mjolnir and likely close the gap a bit more with the VM-1a. I need to find some cables to set this up.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2024 at 2:50 PM Post #7,538 of 7,898
This morning, I hooked up the Benchmark AHB2 amp to the Mjolnir preamp. I have a 25-foot Benchmark XLR (love this between preamp and amp) and a 25-foot cable from RAAL to hook up the amp to the TI-1b. The long RAAL cable sounds identical to the same 3-foot RAAL cable.

Using SS gear, the AHB2 has always been fatiguing with the SR1a, I never tried the CA-1a back then. Only time I liked it was with a tube Schitt Freya+ (sold). The sound today with the SS Class A Mjolnir is detailed and sharp but a slight bit fatiguing. Surprisingly it is about as detailed as the Aegir. The VM-1a is the king of detail in my setup. The VM-1a may get better with more hours.

I cannot see myself using the AHB2 with the RAAL phones.

One last test to do with the PeachTree GAN1. I am going to let that play for the day while I am out and then listen tonight.

Just removed the AHB2 ($3500) and put back the Aegir ($700), much better with the RAAL CA-1a.

I put the VM-1a on again this morning and the gap between it and the Schitt stack is getting bigger. The VM-1a is opening up. It sounded great last night but it is improved today. Nice. Now I remember why I bought the VM-1a again.

Bring on the new RAAL phones!!

Two years ago, when I got the VM-1a for the first time, I was floored by how good Zep's "When the Levee Breaks" sounded. I actually played it 10x in a row, it was so good. I am getting that same sound this morning. It was really good the last couple of days but today it is at another level.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2024 at 11:45 AM Post #7,539 of 7,898
This morning, I hooked up the Benchmark AHB2 amp to the Mjolnir preamp. I have a 25-foot Benchmark XLR (love this between preamp and amp) and a 25-foot cable from RAAL to hook up the amp to the TI-1b. The long RAAL cable sounds identical to the same 3-foot RAAL cable.

Using SS gear, the AHB2 has always been fatiguing with the SR1a, I never tried the CA-1a back then. Only time I liked it was with a tube Schitt Freya+ (sold). The sound today with the SS Class A Mjolnir is detailed and sharp but a slight bit fatiguing. Surprisingly it is about as detailed as the Aegir. The VM-1a is the king of detail in my setup. The VM-1a may get better with more hours.

I cannot see myself using the AHB2 with the RAAL phones.

One last test to do with the PeachTree GAN1. I am going to let that play for the day while I am out and then listen tonight.

Just removed the AHB2 ($3500) and put back the Aegir ($700), much better with the RAAL CA-1a.

I put the VM-1a on again this morning and the gap between it and the Schitt stack is getting bigger. The VM-1a is opening up. It sounded great last night but it is improved today. Nice. Now I remember why I bought the VM-1a again.

Bring on the new RAAL phones!!

Two years ago, when I got the VM-1a for the first time, I was floored by how good Zep's "When the Levee Breaks" sounded. I actually played it 10x in a row, it was so good. I am getting that same sound this morning. It was really good the last couple of days but today it is at another level.
I think 150 hours are needed for the wm1a, capacitors and other components like tubes can only improve.
Is your set of tubes the original ones?

Jan 28, 2024 at 1:00 PM Post #7,540 of 7,898
I think 150 hours are needed for the wm1a, capacitors and other components like tubes can only improve.
I find this interesting... At what point do the stop "improving" and start going the other way?

Jan 28, 2024 at 1:33 PM Post #7,541 of 7,898
Danny provided me all original tubes as before except for a General Electric 6SN7 made in 1960. That tube went in the front row center position. This sounds better than what I remember from my previous incarnation of the VM-1a.

BTW - I am finally getting the PeachTree GAN1 setup. Doing it in the office and will give it 12 hours before I listen. Take a look at the crazy looking mods. Going to compare with the Schitt stack and the VM-1a.
IMG_1777.jpg

Jan 28, 2024 at 1:50 PM Post #7,543 of 7,898
After I sold the VM-1a I felt that the Schit stack was about 90% of the VM-1a sound. Now a lot of that was on memory but I thought the Schitt was great. Now after doing this side-by-side, the Schitt stack is more like 70% of the VM-1a. I wonder how much of that is the different tube and of course the amp breaking in more.

Danny told me a few years ago that the VM-1a tubes should last a very long time. It would depend on how you use it.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2024 at 2:26 PM Post #7,544 of 7,898
After I sold the VM-1a I felt that the Schit stack was about 90% of the VM-1a sound. Now a lot of that was on memory but I thought the Schitt was great. Now after doing this side-by-side, the Schitt stack is more like 70% of the VM-1a. I wonder how much of that is the different tube and of course the amp breaking in more.

Danny told me a few years ago that the VM-1a tubes should last a very long time. It would depend on how you use it.
Once you get a handle on the sound of the Mullard EL34 output tubes, try some Tung-Sol EL34B's in there. I think they are the best current EL34 tube out there....very even handed, they do everything VERY well. Better, more defined bass than the Mullard's....slightly less warm.

If money doesn't matter, the Shuguang Black Treasure 6CA7-Z's are the very best EL34 variant there is....mind blowing, but pricey.
I find the Mullard's to be middle of the road sonically, but to an amplifier manufacturer, they are a popular choice because price and availability are of utmost importance, so they leave to the exotic tube rolling to the enthusiast.

Jan 28, 2024 at 2:28 PM Post #7,545 of 7,898
Once you get a handle on the sound of the Mullard EL34 output tubes, try some Tung-Sol EL34B's in there. I think they are the best current EL34 tube out there....very even handed, they do everything VERY well. Better, more defined bass than the Mullard's....slightly less warm.

If money doesn't matter, the Shuguang Black Treasure 6CA7-Z's are the very best EL34 variant there is....mind blowing, but pricey.
I find the Mullard's to be middle of the road sonically, but to an amplifier manufacturer, they are a popular choice because price and availability are of utmost importance, so they leave to the exotic tube rolling to the enthusiast.
Thanks for the suggestions. Where do you buy these tubes?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back