Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Jan 23, 2024 at 8:05 PM Post #7,486 of 7,847
Oh, how much I love that dismissive dig at ASR in the quote in part 4 of the 6moons review. "I'm glad to say that they won't like these any more than the previous models. The benefits here go beyond what they believe is important." Gold. Pure gold.
basically, by definition if an piece of gear is expensive it is automatically going to be attacked at ASR...they are what is called reverse snobs...so far recently they have attacked the chord dave, the susvara,the abyss and pretty much everything else in TOTL category.basically only a topping amp is worthy of purchase etc...they base everything on measurements which drives me crazy..I wasted my time there some time ago telling them they should only review gear before receiving measurements from the manufacturer...they do everything backwards..they look at the measurements and decide ahead of time that it is good or bad...so much cannot be measured...ultimately they banned me lol...I can guarentee you they will rip apart this new HP...they will mock it and mock those who buy ....nobody should waste any time there

Jan 23, 2024 at 9:47 PM Post #7,487 of 7,847
Well 6moons mentioned the price of the two new headphones. 5.7k euros for the Magna, and 8.6k euros for the Immanis. I was told $9500 for the 3 ribbon. That's a confident price. I expect it to be very, very amazing.
Is there a head-fi.org equivalent for Arab sheiks?
One info enough for me to unlike RAAL's 1995 Facebook page ; )

...to (re)like it 15 minutes later

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2024 at 10:51 PM Post #7,488 of 7,847
Interesting to hear that the VM-1a don’t need the filters. Now I’m even more curious about the new VM (VM-1b?) :)
I have both generations of convolution filters and used them most often. Until I got the VM. Now I never use them. I landed preferring the VM straight up, neat as they say. You can still use them with the VM, and IMO the filters actually give what is arguably a more "detailed" treble. But the laid back, smooth, warm nature of the VM just strikes the best balance for me with no filters.

I for one am really #$%^& nervous about these new multiple motor cans. If I find I will have to have them, I will have some 'splaining to do to my wife.

What I am most curious to learn is if they can retain the best aspects of the open baffle nature or if they will simply be a CA on steroids.

I am looking forward to finding out!

Jan 23, 2024 at 11:40 PM Post #7,489 of 7,847
My understanding is that this price includes the new Star-8 cable and the integrated interface/stand. If you already have the cable and interface (and I suspect most of us on this thread do), it'll be possible to buy the Immanis naked at a lower price.
@Aleksandar R. Will the current 6 foot Star8 cable and the TI-1B interface box work, as well as the 10 foot Start8 cable (used with HSA-1C and JotR), work with the new HPs?

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2024 at 2:53 PM Post #7,490 of 7,847
I have to state here that I am a big fan of the RAAL SR-1b/Ti-1b and its state-of-the-art speaker-like presentation that gives the most accurate rendition of a live musical event in a listening space, all for what many would term a reasonable price.

One thing bothers me about the increasing number of high-priced headphone offerings, though. That is the inevitable price escalation similar to that of speaker-based systems.

When I first entered the audiophile hobby 50 years ago there were few, if any, speakers, amps, turntables, cables, etc. that were in my mind completely unaffordable. There were a few manufacturers like Beveridge and Wilson Audio making such high-priced kit, but subsequently I witnessed a price escalation in these components to where $100K speakers, amps, even cables were commonplace and the price increase was many times the consumer price index. In other words, pricing increased disproportionately to costs and became whatever the market would bear. I guess I don't blame equipment manufacturers for getting the best prices for their products, even if that contaminates the market in the long run. Seeing $100K two-way speakers stretches credulity and gives the unmistakable impression that we audiophiles are easily separated from our money and willing to pay whatever it costs to get the best sound. I think Stereophile said it best: the ever-increasing importance of the ever-decreasing difference.

The two-channel market almost certainly bears this elitist bent of high-priced equipment: I have attended a number of speaker-based system shows and almost everyone there looks like me: white, middle-aged, college-educated males that are nearing retirement and whose declining incomes in retirement will preclude disposable income necessary to buy such stratospherically-priced speaker systems.

So yes, we all vote with our wallets but I hate to see the headphone hobby become overpriced as two-channel systems have unfortunately become.

Jan 24, 2024 at 3:40 PM Post #7,491 of 7,847
I have to state here that I am a big fan of the RAAL SR-1b/Ti-1b and its state-of-the-art speaker-like presentation that gives the most accurate rendition of a live musical event in a listening space, all for what many would term a reasonable price.

One thing bothers me about the increasing number of high-priced headphone offerings, though. That is the inevitable price escalation similar to that of speaker-based systems.

When I first entered the audiophile hobby 50 years ago there were few, if any, speakers, amps, turntables, cables, etc. that were in my mind completely unaffordable. There were a few manufacturers like Beveridge and Wilson Audio making such high-priced kit, but subsequently I witnessed a price escalation in these components to where $100K speakers, amps, even cables were commonplace and the price increase was many times the consumer price index. In other words, pricing increased disproportionately to costs and became whatever the market would bear. I guess I don't blame equipment manufacturers for getting the best prices for their products, even if that contaminates the market in the long run. Seeing $100K two-way speakers stretches credulity and gives the unmistakable impression that we audiophiles are easily separated from our money and willing to pay whatever it costs to get the best sound. I think Stereophile said it best: the ever-increasing importance of the ever-decreasing difference.

The two-channel market almost certainly bears this elitist bent of high-priced equipment: I have attended a number of speaker-based system shows and almost everyone there looks like me: white, middle-aged, college-educated males that are nearing retirement and whose declining incomes in retirement will preclude disposable income necessary to buy such stratospherically-priced speaker systems.

So yes, we all vote with our wallets but I hate to see the headphone hobby become overpriced as two-channel systems have unfortunately become.
Here, here ... wanted to write something like that, but was too lazy. Well done.

Jan 24, 2024 at 4:09 PM Post #7,492 of 7,847
Too bad I just invested on a Bartok Apex and a Zähl HM1, I’ll have to pass on this one even should It prove to be the best headphones around…

Jan 24, 2024 at 4:23 PM Post #7,493 of 7,847
Too bad I just invested on a Bartok Apex and a Zähl HM1, I’ll have to pass on this one even should It prove to be the best headphones around…
I feel your pain :) I would give the DCA Expanse a listen as well. That's my current benchmark bar none.

Jan 24, 2024 at 4:24 PM Post #7,494 of 7,847

Exactly! Very well stated.

Jan 24, 2024 at 6:39 PM Post #7,496 of 7,847
I gotta say, I think the super premium price of the Immanis is a mistake. What, are like 30 people going to buy it in 2 years? I spoke with the Spirit Torino people at Can Jam NYC last year and they said only like 40 people bought the Valkyria, and up to that point it had been out for several years. I mean, some of us on here will buy it (likely myself too), but will a lot of people buy it? No.

I don't know if there is beef between Raal and Requisite, but given that Requisite is not part of this new venture, there probably is. Wildly speculating here, but I could see this headphone being a sticking point for them. $9500 goes against their initial philosophy. All I gotta say, is it better be very, very good
ufdup.png

Jan 24, 2024 at 6:47 PM Post #7,497 of 7,847
they should have a special discount for the ppl who already own sr1b and ca1a.. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

9500-({price of 1b+ca1a}/2 or 3)

Then I'd get one for sure. hahaha oh well worth a shot..

Jan 24, 2024 at 6:55 PM Post #7,498 of 7,847
@Aleksandar R. Will the current 6 foot Star8 cable and the TI-1B interface box work, as well as the 10 foot Start8 cable (used with HSA-1C and JotR), work with the new HPs?
Yes. Full compatibility with everything.

I gotta say, I think the super premium price of the Immanis is a mistake. What, are like 30 people going to buy it in 2 years? I spoke with the Spirit Torino people at Can Jam NYC last year and they said only like 40 people bought the Valkyria, and up to that point it had been out for several years. I mean, some of us on here will buy it (likely myself too), but will a lot of people buy it? No.

I don't know if there is beef between Raal and Requisite, but given that Requisite is not part of this new venture, there probably is. Wildly speculating here, but I could see this headphone being a sticking point for them. $9500 goes against their initial philosophy. All I gotta say, is it better be very, very good
ufdup.png
There is no inherited initial philosophy.
RAAL 1995 has a new initial philosophy.
Danny is a crucial part of this.
We could have called it "Rings of Saturn Audio", but RAAL 1995 sounded nicer to me! :)

RAAL 1995 Stay updated on RAAL 1995 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/raalribbon https://raalribbon.com/
Jan 24, 2024 at 8:10 PM Post #7,499 of 7,847
@Aleksandar R.

I'm not exactly sure what the term is... But if there is a traveling demo set of the new headphones.. I'd like to be put on the list.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2024 at 8:15 PM Post #7,500 of 7,847

Users who are viewing this thread

Back