Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Sep 6, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #7,021 of 7,880
Yep, fully seated connectors at the HP were an issue I had early on but once I got it right it was never an issue again. You can push hard and not worry about breaking anything.

Sometimes putting a gentle twist on places where cables meet connectors or the connectors themselves can tell you if it's an intermittent issue with the cable.

Of course, an issue with the Jot R itself is possible.

Sep 6, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #7,022 of 7,880
I think the collective message from the posters above is to make absolutely sure the fault is with the JotR before you go through all the grief of sending it in for repair, only to have them send it back saying there is nothing wrong with it.

Sep 8, 2023 at 6:48 AM Post #7,023 of 7,880
Hi There- I was wondering if anyone in the Bay Area, California has a RaaL they could let me try for a few minutes? I'm considering buy with the amp...and would love to know the experience before the commit. I have near every ZMF headphone...and happy to bring and share them for compare :)

Thank you!

Sep 9, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #7,025 of 7,880
Hi - Sorry to bother you guys - anyone in the Bay I can please try for a few minutes? Thank you!
You should try to make it down to the SoCal CanJam the end of the month. Great opportunity to demo all the RAAL-requisite stuff there!

Sep 9, 2023 at 11:14 PM Post #7,027 of 7,880
I’m going to try!! Thank you!!
They will not be at CanJam L.A. Maybe other amp vendors may have the RAAL phones.

If you can make it to S. Cal. just stop by Requisite in Ventura and hear the phones there. Another place to hear the SR1a is at the SchittR in NewHall, CA. They are about 30 minutes from Ventura, CA. Double check with Schitt just to be sure.

I am currently using the $800 'Class A' Aegir amp with the SR1a. A very nice match.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2023 at 9:13 AM Post #7,030 of 7,880
If you make it to SoCal you are welcome to come by to hear my SR-1b/TI-1b driven by a Benchmark HPA4 headphone amp. I live in Ojai which is about 20 minutes from RAAL Requisite in Ventura.

Sep 10, 2023 at 7:25 PM Post #7,031 of 7,880
They will not be at CanJam L.A. Maybe other amp vendors may have the RAAL phones.

If you can make it to S. Cal. just stop by Requisite in Ventura and hear the phones there. Another place to hear the SR1a is at the SchittR in NewHall, CA. They are about 30 minutes from Ventura, CA. Double check with Schitt just to be sure.

I am currently using the $800 'Class A' Aegir amp with the SR1a. A very nice match.
Pretty sure RAAL-requisite will be at CanJam SoCal. Danny told me he was planning to attend.

Sep 10, 2023 at 8:31 PM Post #7,032 of 7,880
Pretty sure RAAL-requisite will be at CanJam SoCal. Danny told me he was planning to attend.
I spoke to him on Friday when I was buying a headphone cable for the TI-1b. He said that there is another show he will be attending instead.

BTW - that cable was for the Holo Serene preamp. It is similar to the Benchmark HPA4 but without a front facing headphone jack. It has dual XLR outputs with 1 set lower powered to hook up headphones. I managed to get that working with the cable I got on Friday and it sounds pretty good (via the TI-1b). I am now starting to have a lot of SR1a endpoints.

Sep 11, 2023 at 7:30 AM Post #7,033 of 7,880

If they still have a pair of SR1a at the SchittR, I hope someone takes a listen on the Mjolnir 3. It's getting great reviews. Not sure if the 2 watts will be sufficient. The Aegir is not too much power for the TI-1b?

Sep 11, 2023 at 7:32 AM Post #7,034 of 7,880
If they still have a pair of SR1a at the SchittR, I hope someone takes a listen on the Mjolnir 3. It's getting great reviews. Not sure if the 2 watts will be sufficient. The Aegir is not too much power for the TI-1b?
I don’t think there’s any way the M3 will be sufficient unfortunately

Sep 11, 2023 at 10:31 AM Post #7,035 of 7,880
The Aegir is likely just about the right amount of power. I do not know if the 20 watts in Pentode mode of the VM-1a translates to the same on the Aegir. The Aegir is about 90% as good as the VM-1a. This is with the Benchmark LA4 preamp and the Schitt Yggi+ Less is More DAC. I sold the VM-1a to raise cash for a Magtech amp for my Magnepan LRS+.

The original plan was to use the LA4 preamp with output (RCA and XLR) to 2 amps and turn on only 1 amp when needed. However, I did not realize the Magtech did not have a STANDBY button and automatically went into STANDBY mode. This meant I had to do a hard OFF from the switch on the back. I was told this was not the best way to use the amp from the designer. I also messed up one day and had both the Aegir and Magtech turned on at the same time.

For those reasons, I ordered the Schitt Mjolnir preamp last week. It should arrive this week after they build it. Good to hear that it is getting good reviews. It seemed like something that would work well with the Aegir and SR1a. Maybe even better than the LA4, though I really liked the Aegir and LA4 pairing.

My Holo Serene preamp in my Livingroom system is now hooked up to the RAAL CA-1a and that preamp outputs 2 watts on the second XLR left and right outputs. I use a special cable and then the RAAL TI-1b cables to make it work and the 2 watts seems sufficient. The Mjolnir 2-watts is supposed to be very robust with the strong power supply behind it. The 2-wattts will be for the CA-1a and the 20-watts of the Aegir will be for the SR1a via the TI-1b.

I also use the Schitt JR which is in my office. The Schitt Yggi+ has 3 outputs on the back and I am able to use the single DAC to 3 preamps at once, the JR, LA4, and Mjolnir.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back