Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Aug 31, 2023 at 10:10 PM Post #7,006 of 7,885
Today, I use the Yggi+ with the Aegir and TI-1b. One nice thing over the VM-1a is that I have my Benchmark LA4 preamp (now I wish I kept the HPA4) before both the Aegir and the Magtech. Which means that all my sources are available on the SR1a and LRS+.
I'll plug Schiit also: the Aegir is a fantastic amp for the SR. I had one, then two in mono using a Freya+. This was the a favorite combination for a long time.

Thanks for the tip on the LIM. I wish I was talented enough to hear real important differences in DACs, but I rarely do and spent all my coin on the VM.

Enjoy.

Aug 31, 2023 at 10:26 PM Post #7,007 of 7,885
was considering the Schiit amps (vidar, aegir and tye) for a while but decided to pull the trigger on some Atma-Sphere GaNFET monoblocks. have read nothing but good reviews on those. Will try these with the ti1b box when they arrive in hopefully a month's time.

Aug 31, 2023 at 11:07 PM Post #7,008 of 7,885
was considering the Schiit amps (vidar, aegir and tye) for a while but decided to pull the trigger on some Atma-Sphere GaNFET monoblocks. have read nothing but good reviews on those. Will try these with the ti1b box when they arrive in hopefully a month's time.
I have a PeachTree GAN1 + TweakAudio.com mods = $2200 sitting idle because my 2 other more powerful amps are better suited for the speakers. However, the modded GAN1 is pretty special, and my plan is to use the GAN1 (only supports streaming vi SPDIF) with the RAAL TI-1b + CA-1a phones (baffle compensation not supported). Since this is a one box solution it is rather easy to move around the house. I will use the unit in the Family room + backyard with a long RAAL TI-1b cable. I am just waiting for a Sonore OpticalRendu streamer to get delivered to me from Canada in a few months before I can get the GAN1 working again.

@MokhaMark Did you find 2 Aegirs better (80 watts) vs a single Aegir (20 watts). There are some use units for $500-$600. But I am happy with the single Aegir so I did not pursue a second unit (yet).

Aug 31, 2023 at 11:33 PM Post #7,009 of 7,885
@MokhaMark Did you find 2 Aegirs better (80 watts) vs a single Aegir (20 watts). There are some use units for $500-$600. But I am happy with the single Aegir so I did not pursue a second unit (yet).
I did not. I found one Aegir to be perfect for the SR1-a, even if under rated on paper for the Raal, it just worked for my type of listening which is not ever extremely loud. I noticed no improvement with two. The timbre was beautiful, and the treble very mellow compared to the Jot R for example. What the dual mono Aegir set up was great for was the Susvara, this was exciting.

Sep 1, 2023 at 4:34 AM Post #7,010 of 7,885
I met Danny for the second time at canjam London.

The first time I fell in love hard... With the sr1a! 😅

I bought a pair and the rest is history 😀

We had another long chinwag. I think he is a great guy. Totally solid.

We get on fine, to the extent that he left me in charge of the RAAL setup while he went for some refreshments! I felt very honoured by that.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2023 at 4:48 AM Post #7,011 of 7,885
Danny and David are both incredibly nice and helpful. My phone bill has suffered some, but what a fun time chatting with Danny. His music tastes coincided with mine, so it was extra fun.

Sep 1, 2023 at 8:36 AM Post #7,012 of 7,885
I know this sounds silly to ask again, I saw that DHC claims its cable are great with Raal headphone, but I highly doubt that it used the requirement of what Raal provided, so…. I am thinking if anyone is using its flagship chimera with Raal headphone?

I am curious about the sound comparing with star8

Hope someone could answer me about it.
912254FE-868C-4B49-B319-F403A7BD7097.png

Sep 1, 2023 at 10:17 AM Post #7,013 of 7,885
Danny and David are both incredibly nice and helpful. My phone bill has suffered some, but what a fun time chatting with Danny. His music tastes coincided with mine, so it was extra fun.
Ah... and let's not forget @Aleksandar R. and his endless patience explaining to us here about the intricacies of the technical aspects. Great team! :)

Sep 5, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #7,014 of 7,885
The Aperio is also limited in that you can only use the Aperio headphones with the Amp/dac unit. The SR1a combo is one of the best whole packages one can buy (minus the DAC of course).

The electrostatic world can get pretty expensive, but I'm loving my 3ES Elite and Audeze CRBN. It's actually in competition with my SR1as at the moment. I don't want to rank the 2 just yet (I still need more time with the CRBNs), but the 3ES EE/CRBNs combo is something special.
Like a lot of audio most things are a two sided coin. Aperio must be used with their HP and Energizer/AMP……..Thank God, something this good without a 1000 upgrade paths to follow. I would suggest it is possible at the end of the day to spend enough money on trying and upgrading to afford an Aperio……..also have to think the industry kinda like the upgrade path dynamic

Sep 5, 2023 at 2:13 PM Post #7,015 of 7,885
ok, so I have an issue and I know there are people on here far more informed about the product than I am so here goes....I am now on my third Jotr to go with my SR1a....the first 2 had a problem where I was hearing an awful distortion in the right channel of my first amp...in both channels in the second amp and in the left channel of my third which I received today...danny has been remarkably helpful thus far but it occured to me that it is hard to believe 3 amps could have the same issue like this....in the case of the first amp it took a few weeks for the problem to occur, in the case of the second amp it took a couple of days and in the case of the third I heard it immediately...most likely because I now know exactly what I am listening for...in any event there arent many settings to change on the amp so I decided to turn the baffle compensation off and as soon as I did the distortion disappeared and in fact to my ears it sounds better...bigger soundstage and more depth but maybe I am imagining that part...all I do know is I do not understand it and am trying to find an answer to this dilemma...I did send an e-mail to schiit to see if they have an explanation but thought I would throw it out to people here for some thoughts and help...thanks ahead of time
After >3 long years my Schiit Jot R has developed distortion in left channel. I swapped the cables & distortion changed to opposite channel. I tried both RCA & XLR sources. Same result. Tried using different source. No luck !
It is out of warranty & my purchase was from Singapore in 2020. No local (India) support possible. I’ve also checked my cables. Joints looks soldered well. Nothing loose. I’ve mailed Danny.🤞🏻
@Aleksandar R.

Sep 5, 2023 at 2:26 PM Post #7,016 of 7,885
After >3 long years my Schiit Jot R has developed distortion in left channel. I swapped the cables & distortion changed to opposite channel. I tried both RCA & XLR sources. Same result. Tried using different source. No luck !
It is out of warranty & my purchase was from Singapore in 2020. No local (India) support possible. I’ve also checked my cables. Joints looks soldered well. Nothing loose. I’ve mailed Danny.🤞🏻
@Aleksandar R.
From your description, as I understand it, I suspect there is an issue with the cable going from your headphone to your Jot R. Local cable repair should be fairly easy, quick and most economical. If that is not the case, please let me know and we'll figure out a plan-B. Best, Danny

Sep 5, 2023 at 11:01 PM Post #7,018 of 7,885
From your description, as I understand it, I suspect there is an issue with the cable going from your headphone to your Jot R. Local cable repair should be fairly easy, quick and most economical. If that is not the case, please let me know and we'll figure out a plan-B. Best, Danny
Thanks for your support
I tried SRIA with my old converter box. Its working fine. Cable is okay.
Tried Jot R as passive preamp in my speaker setup & there is noise on both channels. I’ve mailed Sean at SLT tech.

Sep 5, 2023 at 11:19 PM Post #7,019 of 7,885
Thanks for your support
I tried SRIA with my old converter box. Its working fine. Cable is okay.
Tried Jot R as passive preamp in my speaker setup & there is noise on both channels. I’ve mailed Sean at SLT tech.
Sean replied : SLT Tech are no longer distributor/dealer of Schiit Audio anymore. He has advised to contact them directly. It is so difficult to get quality support outside US. @SageM

Sep 6, 2023 at 9:20 AM Post #7,020 of 7,885
I swapped the cables & distortion changed to opposite channel.
The error follows the RCA-cable, so this part strongly points to a broken one.
Check with any different RCA.
I tried both RCA & XLR sources. Same result.
Maybe a coincidence, even a broken XLR cable.
Just one-sided error too?

Furthermore, not very likely, but:
Thoroughly check if the plugs at the SR1a are all-in.
Needs quite some force to plug correctly.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back