Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Jul 10, 2023 at 10:45 AM Post #6,886 of 7,882
We're not selling them any more, but better and upgraded versions are (or will be) available from their original manufacturers and all of our dealers can carry them if they want, and some do.

From our point of view, after the TI got introduced, we don't need to compete with other headphone amp manufacturers.
It makes our effort more concentrated on headphones and the new situation makes for better coverage at Shows.
Now we are exhibiting with Viva Audio, Aries Cerat, SAEQ, Auris Audio, Ferrum, iFi, Mal Valve...
Yes, the TI-1b is a real game changer. It is transparent and so effective.

When I auditioned the SAEQ range of amps (aside from the HSA-1c), the TI-1b worked wonderfully with them. Yet the amps lost none of their basic sonic characteristics. :)

Jul 10, 2023 at 11:10 AM Post #6,887 of 7,882
All the talk about the TI-1b + barrels has made me extremely curious, am going to have to "pull the trigger". Just hard to believe the SR1a could sound much better than it already does. On some music, I could use a bit more bass, but all in all the best HP I've ever tried.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #6,888 of 7,882
I agree.

Jul 10, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #6,889 of 7,882
Do we have an official statement regarding this?

I understand that the amp range isn't required with the Transformer Interfaces but at the same time these amps were regarded as "the best way" to Power the Raals
The VM-1a is still my best SR1a/CA-1a amp. I have an amazing CODA #16 amp I use with the TL-1b but it still does not reach the heights of the VM-1a, close though.

I was thinking of selling the VM-1a since the TL-1b is close, but I knew I would regret it.

Jul 10, 2023 at 11:21 AM Post #6,890 of 7,882
I checked out the SAEQ website a few days ago but saw no mention of the VM-1a.

Jul 10, 2023 at 12:03 PM Post #6,891 of 7,882
Rather than use the open baffle compensation barrels I used the parametric equalizer in Roon with the settings prescribed by Alexander R that essentially accomplished the same thing. However, I found the most recent Mitch convolution filters that not only correct for frequency aberrations but also provide for the open baffle effect compensation. IMO these filters further raise the sound of the SR-1b, maybe not a night-and-day difference but an improvement well worth the $200 asking fee. And yes, the only drawback of the SR-1b is the lack of bass impact on some recordings but usually with their superior speed, detail, transparency, and spaciousness I don't find myself missing the bass all that much. IMO most headphones are too bass-prominent anyway, unrealistically so.

Jul 10, 2023 at 12:11 PM Post #6,892 of 7,882
Has anyone tried the TL-1b with a HeadAmp GSX MK2? Although my primary listening is STAX I have been tempted to try a CA-1a

Jul 10, 2023 at 2:14 PM Post #6,895 of 7,882
Any one know how long the HPL Cable for connecting XLR headphone amp output to the TI-1b transformer in is?
Looks like a fairly short jumper in the website picture.
Thanks.

EDIT: I found a picture of it in Trance-Gott's review of here

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/raal-requisite-sr1b.25951/reviews#review-28861

It is short. Can a longer one be used or the the impedance loading / matching require that short length?

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #6,896 of 7,882
If anyone wants to jump in the SR1a game, I'm letting my mint set go due to it not getting enough head time. Also optional TI-1b.

Just want to pass on the good sound to anyone who may be curious :)

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jul 10, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #6,897 of 7,882
Any one know how long the HPL Cable for connecting XLR headphone amp output to the TI-1b transformer in is?
Looks like a fairly short jumper in the website picture.
Thanks.

EDIT: I found a picture of it in Trance-Gott's review of here

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/raal-requisite-sr1b.25951/reviews#review-28861

It is short. Can a longer one be used or the the impedance loading / matching require that short length?
I measured the umbilical cable that connects the TI-1b to your headphone amp and it is 14.5 inches tip-to-tip. RAAL Requisite can make a custom cable of a longer length with reportedly little if any degradation in sound due to the higher impedances it carries. The cable that connects the TI-1b to the SR-1a/b or CA-1b has a much greater effect on the much lower impedances it sees and its length has to be optimized, 6 feet in my case.

Jul 10, 2023 at 3:47 PM Post #6,898 of 7,882
That's longer then I guess-timated from looking at the picture. Maybe still to short to run it to the 5/16 " thick glass shelf below the Rag2 even over the front of the shelf. I may be able to put the TI alongside the Rag 2 but on it's side. But that could also be tight, in which case I might be able to sit it on top of the Rag 2 which is supposed to run much cooler than its predecessor thanks to the heat sinks and maybe as I'll only be running the amp as a headphone amp. If neither scenario works I'll get a custom length cable made so I can sit it on the shelf below the amp. I'll get this done one way or another, I need remote volume control and I'm not about to abandon my SR1a over a length of wire, LOL!

That takes care of all pre-purchase questions I can come up with. Time to buy.

Thanks to all.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2023 at 4:11 PM Post #6,899 of 7,882
We're not selling them any more, but better and upgraded versions are (or will be) available from their original manufacturers and all of our dealers can carry them if they want, and some do.
Does that mean Solaja Audio is working on an upgrade to the VM-1a that will best the current version? Very intriguing . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back