Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Jan 18, 2023 at 1:39 PM Post #6,286 of 7,885
The STAR-8 Interconnect cable will most probably not look the same. will not have the same RCA connectors (I need the "chuck" type strain relief that those RCA's you got don't have) and I'm planning to change the internals a little bit..

I know why Danny sent you those to try, he wanted another opinion, a beta tester, so you got the working prototypes.

So, we might send you the new version, when ready.
Thank you sir! I always appreciate your candid communication. I think it makes many of us feel extra good about owning your gear.

Great to hear you will continue to tweak the cable formula.

Jan 18, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #6,287 of 7,885
Here is one user’s wishlist for the future. As always, interesting opinions but ultimately irrelevant unless confirmed by many others:
  • Solid state amplifier with the bass of the VM1a
  • On the SR1a, leather pads that connect my head to baffles even when fully open. Today I have to bend the pads 180 degrees over.
  • Fix the male XLR connector pins on the VM1a to be straight like they are on the HSA1b. I have tried two VM1a copies, both with wind eyed pins.
  • Motor on the stepped attenuator to allow remote control. Compare to Violectric.
  • Clarity on support and development situation five years from now.
  • A 7ft version of the Star8 ear speaker cable
  • A cheaper version of the Star8 cable system.

Jan 18, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #6,288 of 7,885
WP_20200226_10_38_01_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2023 at 4:09 AM Post #6,289 of 7,885
For anyone using a Benchmark DAC3B with the VM-1a. What source input are you using? Last night, by accident I discovered some fine sound via the SPDIF input via a Lumin X1 fibre stream into the Benchmark DAC3B. I wanted to test this out some more today. I got 2 Sonore OpticalRendu's and GROUPED streamed from ROON into the DAC3B. I was able to switch DAC3B inputs from USB to D4 (SPDIF) fairly quickly. I came to the conclusion that the SPDIF sounded better than the USB of the DAC3B. I was using WyWIre USB and SPDIF cable for the 2 oR streams. I had to use something called a Sonore UltraDigital to convert from USB to SPDIF on 1 of the streams. The other oR was streaming USB to the DAC. All streams sourced from fibre.

After about 3 hours of listening, I felt the SPIF had more detail. Both are fatigue free, though the SPDIF seems a little cleaner on top. Going forward, I will use SPDIF to my DAC3B and VM-1a.

My Benchmark DAC3B is preferred by me over the Lumin X1 DAC for the VM-1a. The X1 was really good but there is something about the DAC3B and VM-1a that works for me. On 2-channel gear the DAC3B is my worst DAC, behind the Lumin X1 and Musetec 005.

BTW - I have 2 005 DAC's and I am selling one now that I have the Lumin X1. The 005 DAC is in the same league as the X1. Though the X1 has great fibre streaming. I got the X1 for half-price otherwise it is hard to justify the MSRP.

I do not like the 005 direct to the VM-1a though with the RAAL adapter box and a 2-channel amp the 005 is amazing.

Jan 19, 2023 at 4:34 AM Post #6,290 of 7,885
I got the X1 for half-price otherwise it is hard to justify the MSRP.
You’re very lucky. If you only have X1, would you say that the X1 has good enough synergy with CA1a and SR1a? I’m contemplating to upgrade my T2 to P1 as it also has fibre connection but cost less than X1 new. Too bad it’s very hard for me to find a used X1 here.

Jan 19, 2023 at 5:54 AM Post #6,291 of 7,885
I'm using a melco S100 switch, fiber into it via a sonore optical module deluxe v2, and then ethernet from the s100 into the meitner ma3. the ma3 upsamples everything into dsd1024 and it makes for a very very smooth listen with the sr1b, especially with the vm1a in triode mode.

Jan 19, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #6,292 of 7,885
You’re very lucky. If you only have X1, would you say that the X1 has good enough synergy with CA1a and SR1a? I’m contemplating to upgrade my T2 to P1 as it also has fibre connection but cost less than X1 new. Too bad it’s very hard for me to find a used X1 here.
I spent a 5-hour listening session with the CA-1a | VM-1a | X1. It was excellent. I think I like the tiny bit of extra edge with the DAC3B. Now that is not a good thing for a DAC to have but I like it with the VM-1a. I do not have the SR1a for a few more weeks so I cannot tell you how it sounded but I expect similar.

BTW - Last night, I realized that with my 3 existing Sonore OpticalRendu’s and the new Lumin X1 and the Sonore UltraDigital (with SPDIF and i2s). I have 6 ways to stream with fibre as a part of the stream. I think I am going to sell 2 of my OpticaRendu’s if the Musetec i2s is good or close to the Musetec 005 USB.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #6,293 of 7,885
I spent a 5-hour listening session with the CA-1a | VM-1a | X1. It was excellent. I think I like the tiny bit of extra edge with the DAC3B. Now that is not a good thing for a DAC to have but I like it with the VM-1a. I do not have the SR1a for a few more weeks so I cannot tell you how is sounded but I expect similar.

BTW - Last night, I realized that with my 3 existing Sonore OpticalRendu’s and the new Lumin X1 and the Sonore UltraDigital (with SPDIF and i2s). I have 6 ways to stream with fibre as a part of the stream. I think I am going to sell 2 of my OpticaRendu’s if the Musetec i2s is good or close to the Musetec 005 USB.
The X1 was my second fav DAC with the VM-1a. It is a great match.

Jan 20, 2023 at 5:07 PM Post #6,294 of 7,885
Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Feb 2, 2023 at 12:51 AM Post #6,295 of 7,885
I had a visitor over today who came over to listen and possibly buy my 2nd Mustec 005 DAC. We listened and he loved it and bought it. He loved my Benchmark LA4 preamp and said he will get the HPA4 so as to also listen to headphones. I told him that you may not need to do that and turned on the VM-1a + Benchmark DAC3B + CA-1a + Lumin X1 to stream SPDIF to the DAC3B.

I cued up WHOLE LOTTA LOVE from Led Zeppelin IV which I think is amazing on the VM-1a and CA-1a. His response, "Wow, wow, pause, wow, wow, then laughter". So he is now going to get the LA4 preamp, and I am sure the CA-1a or SR1a to listen with his PASS Labs amp. I did not have the SR1a at home to demo that. I love the reactions I get when I play this amp for people.

BTW - I sold 2 of my great Musetec 005 DACs this week since I bought a used Lumin X1 and need cash to pay for it. I am doing fibre optic streaming to the X1 and that supports 2 additional streaming outputs, SPDIF and USB. The SPDIF is going into the Benchmark DAC3B which connects to the VM-1a. I shockingly like the DAC3B over the Lumin X1 on the VM-1a. The X1 is really good on the VM-1a but the DAC3B is still my fav on the VM-1.

This all this means is that I have 2 Sonore OpticalRendu's that are no longer being used. The Rendu's are in my opinion a little more refined streamer than the X1. The X1 is more in your face and louder. I will be selling 2 of my OpticalRendu's + LPS. I am keeping a 3rd OpticalRendu to stream for a modded PeachTree GAN1 amp that I think I get back next week. I need to add a module called a Sonore UltraDigital to convert the OpticalRendu USB to SPDIF which goes into the GAN1. This amp is only for my SR1a phones. It is a bit like a portable amp since it is so light and takes only a SPDIF input. Since the GAN1 has no onboard volume, I control that via ROON.

Edit: The song was WHEN THE LEVEE BREAKS

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2023 at 10:06 AM Post #6,296 of 7,885
@Aleksandar R. Quick Q from a noob: is the Deluxe cable recommended to be used with the TI-1b? I do recall reading it was developed to be used with the Jot R.

Thank you! :)

Feb 6, 2023 at 4:58 PM Post #6,297 of 7,885
@Aleksandar R. Quick Q from a noob: is the Deluxe cable recommended to be used with the TI-1b? I do recall reading it was developed to be used with the Jot R.

Thank you! :)
Hi Kiats,

No, it will kill highs too much. While it's large onductance was very nice for the JotR, it is way too high for the transformer interface.

RAAL 1995 Stay updated on RAAL 1995 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/raalribbon https://raalribbon.com/
Feb 6, 2023 at 9:43 PM Post #6,298 of 7,885
wait, am i misunderstanding?..you are saying the star 8 shouldnt be used with the CA or sr1a when using the TL-1B...I am confused..I use mine with both my sr1a and ca-1a with both my hsa-1b as well as the tl-1b...

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2023 at 9:52 PM Post #6,299 of 7,885
I have a Star 8 cable that I use with my SR-1b and Ti-1B transformer interface and it works great. I believe the Star 8 was designed with the correct impedance to use between the two to minimize a reduction in power output of your power amp. I can also vouch for the improved sonics of the Star 8 versus the stock SC2 cable.

Feb 6, 2023 at 9:53 PM Post #6,300 of 7,885
wait, am i misunderstanding?..you are saying the star 8 shouldnt be used with the CA or sr1a when using the TL-1B...I am confused..I use mine with both my sr1a and ca-1a with both my hsa-1b as well as the tl-1b...
I think he was referring to the Deluxe cable intended for the Jot R, not the Star 8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back