Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Aug 3, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #5,686 of 7,882
I was using the Accurate Sound Convolution filters for a while with 2-channle amps before I had the VM-1a. I also had a Convolution filter for my 2-channel Thiel CS3.7 (now sold) + room created by Mitch Barnett. He did this remotely from Canada and I am in the USA.

With the VM-1a I do not use any Convolution filters. When I had very neutral amps such as the Benchmark AHB2 on the SR1a the filter was needed, not so with the VM-1a or the Schitt JR. Likely, the same with the HSA-1b. I never had the filters when I had the HSA-1b in the house.

Aug 3, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #5,687 of 7,882
I was using the Accurate Sound Convolution filters for a while with 2-channle amps before I had the VM-1a. I also had a Convolution filter for my 2-channel Thiel CS3.7 (now sold) + room created by Mitch Barnett. He did this remotely from Canada and I am in the USA.

With the VM-1a I do not use any Convolution filters. When I had very neutral amps such as the Benchmark AHB2 on the SR1a the filter was needed, not so with the VM-1a or the Schitt JR. Likely, the same with the HSA-1b. I never had the filters when I had the HSA-1b in the house.
May I know how do you determine you need the filter or not?

Aug 3, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #5,688 of 7,882
May I know how do you determine you need the filter or not?
I listen to music a lot since I work from home. I also have a child that sleeps early so I use the SR1a and CR-1a a lot. I tried about 8 different 2-channel amps with the SR1a and various DACs. The worst DAC was my Benchmark DAC3B and my Benchmark LA4 preamp. Put in a Convolution filter and those 2 are OK and no more fatigue. These headphones have a of energy on top and if the associated gear is also very neutral then it was a disaster for me with fatigue.

Now with the VM-1a I use the same Benchmark DAC3B without any Convolution filter. I have no fatigue at all, and I listen way too loud for my own good (I need to cut that out).

BTW - the best 2-channel combo I used that did not give me fatigue (so no filter used) was the following. It was about 90% as good as the VM-1a | DAC3B | SR1a + CA-1a

KRELL Duo 175XD amp | CODA 07x preamp | Musetec 005 DAC | Audience FrontRow speaker cables | RAAL SR1a

Aug 3, 2022 at 1:57 PM Post #5,689 of 7,882
I am posting this again since my post seems to have disappeared.

The SRia filter was done by Mitch alone since there is no physical room to consider. I had nothing to do with that.

For my 2-channel floor standing speakers in my small office. Mitch and I worked together to measure my room with REW software and then some other things were done to create a Convolution filter specifically for my room and Thiel CS3.7's.

When I moved some furniture around and added an acoustic panel in front of my CD rack the filter he created for me was no longer ideal since the room acoustics had changed. So, I no longer use that Convolution filter either.

Aug 3, 2022 at 11:56 PM Post #5,690 of 7,882
It's really a matter of personal preference. I'm using the Accurate Sound Convolution Filters with the VM-1a and HQPlayer and I'm very happy with them. Most of my upsampling is being done at DSD 512X and I have even tried DSD 1024X with no issues although my computer runs out of steam when using the EC Modulators at 1024X. Try it and make your own decision on what's best for you.

Aug 4, 2022 at 12:54 AM Post #5,691 of 7,882
It's really a matter of personal preference. I'm using the Accurate Sound Convolution Filters with the VM-1a and HQPlayer and I'm very happy with them. Most of my upsampling is being done at DSD 512X and I have even tried DSD 1024X with no issues although my computer runs out of steam when using the EC Modulators at 1024X. Try it and make your own decision on what's best for you.
So, you select the CA output on the VM-1a (no compensation) and do it in Software?

Aug 4, 2022 at 4:52 PM Post #5,692 of 7,882
I tried implementing the OB compensation in software with Roon. It does sound very good with it switched off on my Jot R. I am experimenting with placement of the Accurate Sound filters now. The filters where made using the original interface so I am thinking they should go before the OB EQ. I placed it first in my chain for this first listen but will keep experimenting.

Here is what the settings look like in Roon.

Screen Shot 2022-08-04 at 13.44.19.png

Aug 5, 2022 at 10:09 AM Post #5,694 of 7,882
I tried implementing the OB compensation in software with Roon. It does sound very good with it switched off on my Jot R. I am experimenting with placement of the Accurate Sound filters now. The filters where made using the original interface so I am thinking they should go before the OB EQ. I placed it first in my chain for this first listen but will keep experimenting.

Here is what the settings look like in Roon.

Screen Shot 2022-08-04 at 13.44.19.png
Is this an 'official' config?
It's a little hard to get the transition exactly right with Roon's limited view.
Seems close to what I got when trying to replicate the physical filters.
I measured them and they show as follows for those interested (note that the bandwidth shown below tests upto 100khz not 20khz):

1659708464200.png

Aug 5, 2022 at 10:27 AM Post #5,695 of 7,882
I don't have ROON, so had to do it in JRiver, but even if it's off, the error isn't greater than 0.5dB at any place.
If I could have the curve to see, I could have tweaked it better, but JRiver doesn't show it as ROON does.
It looks like ROON has graph zoom settings, so it should be easy to nail it.

RAAL 1995 Stay updated on RAAL 1995 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/raalribbon https://raalribbon.com/
Aug 5, 2022 at 11:39 AM Post #5,696 of 7,882
I saw the post of the jriver config and like playing with things so I thought I would give it a try. I like the way this sounds over the filter on my Jot R for some music and it is nice to have a starting point for further experimentation. I don't think I would use it all the time but I can see it opening some doors in use with the new transformer interface. I really need to grab one of those!

Aug 5, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #5,697 of 7,882
Question: What (near field) speakers have you tried using the HSA1b?

I’m looking for ideas on good pairings.
For my bench, at the shop, I've been using the HSA-1b to drive a pair of NS-10 monitors, for over two years. Working very well. I'm not suggesting NS-10s to audiophiles but, they are quite necessary as reference when working with artist, producers and engineers.

At the other end of the spectrum, a HSA-1b owner recently called to report he's using his HSA-1b to drive his Magnepan speakers. He was very surprised by the results and preferred the HSA-1b over his 300-watt amp.

The speaker output is very good sounding and part of what makes the HSA-1b a very handy device.

Aug 5, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #5,698 of 7,882
It will absolutely work with any unbalanced output, you just need a converter cable from the standard headphone jack 6.35mm -> 4-pin XLR, like the following: 6.35mm male to 4-pin XLR male Amazon link.

The basic rule is that you can always go from unbalanced output -> balanced input, but NOT the other way around.

We are now offering three interface cables for the TI-1a & TI-1b. The cable series is "ITI" (Input to Transformer Interface).
ITI-XLR is 4-pin XLR to 4-pin XLR (Standard with TI)
ITI-TRS is 4-pin XLR to 6.3mm TRS (Optional for TI)
ITI-BAN is 4-pin XLR to Banana Plugs (Optional for TI)

Aug 5, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #5,699 of 7,882
We are now offering three interface cables for the TI-1a & TI-1b. The cable series is "ITI" (Input to Transformer Interface).
To reduce confusion, consider:
ITI-TRS is 6.3mm TRS to 4-pin XLR (Optional for TI)
ITI-BAN is Banana Plugs to 4-pin XLR (Optional for TI)

Aug 5, 2022 at 5:12 PM Post #5,700 of 7,882
To reduce confusion, consider:
ITI-TRS is 6.3mm TRS to 4-pin XLR (Optional for TI)
ITI-BAN is Banana Plugs to 4-pin XLR (Optional for TI)
I don't find the original naming that confusing, maybe others do. But I do see what you mean.

So "CTI" (Cable to Transformer Interface) making it non-directional? Also -BNA or -SPK for banana/speaker plugs?

Naming is hard...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back