Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Jan 17, 2022 at 12:28 AM Post #4,741 of 7,871
I moved my Benchmark LA4 preamp to my Livingroom system (all Benchmark) and replaced it with the Schitt Freya+, which was in a bedroom. The Schitt is mainly going to work on my 2 channel speakers. However, I wanted to try it with my RAAL SR1a amp interface box. I have a CODA #8 amp for this amp interface box. The Schitt Freya+ caused a huge hum on the SR1a so I stopped that test. On my 2 channel speakers the Freya+ is connected to a KRELL Duo 175XD and it sounda really good, without any hum. I wonder why the Freya+ does not play nice with the CODA #8 and/or the amp interface box. Anyways, this is not a big deal since my main preamp for the SR1a and speakers is the CODA 07x,

EDIT: Seems my XLR from the Freya+ to the CODA #8 is faulty. I tried another XLR and the hum went away.

EDIT2: The Freya+ | Benchmark AHB2 | Musectec 005 | RAAL SR1a = incredible sound. Even with the cheaper Topping D90SE DAC it was very good.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2022 at 4:26 PM Post #4,742 of 7,871
As a point of interest, Mal Valve is now making two amplifiers that can power the Raal SR1A ; the Mal Valve Head Amp One and the Mal Valve Head Amp Five. These are two relatively new headphone amps that sit atop the Mal Valve line; the Five being the new king of the hill, so to speak. They both also power electrostatic headphones and both have adjustable polarization voltage for Stax or ESL headphones. The Mal Valve Five having up to 2400v on the rails for their electrostatic outputs. The Five also powers dynamic and planar headphones with the choice of running them via and OTL circuit or a transformer coupled circuit. Nice to have the choice. We are thrilled to be bringing these into the US and Canada. Unlike so many things, the ability to tackle more than one task, hasn't resulted in a compromise to the sound.

The Mal Valve One is meant for those who have a preamp or volume control with which they are already happy. It is a true stereo amp. Buy adding off board output transformers either the One or Five can drive almost any loudspeaker. The output transformers are meant to sit on the floor or behind the speakers or situated behind a rack...each output transformer weighs in excess of 45 pounds....ridiculously over-built...but the extra magnetic size and the size of the winding makes for a fantastic
result.

The technical ability and precis would have me writing for pages, so I'll just provide a link for any curious folks to contact me.

We also offer the option to connect the RAAL SR1a directly to the Head Amp Five without a series resistor.
There are 2 possibilities:
a. Internal special transformer with 0.2 ohm winding in the head amp five and device connector plug for the headphone,
b. External output transformer for loudspeakers with additional 0.2 Ohm winding and device connector plug for the headphone.
In addition, the headphones can also be connected with the RAAL series resistor to the 4 Ohm loudspeaker output of the
output transformer.

The Head Amp One can only drive the RAAL via the outboard output transformers. The reviews for the Mal Valve 3 v.4 have been
astounding. The Head Amp One and Five are even more accomplished with a sound that is even more transcendent.

Thanks for the read...I hope you get an opportunity to hear these amplifiers. They are truly special.

PowerAmp1vorne.jpg

Power Amp1-hinten.jpg

headDriverFront.jpg

Mal Valve Head Amp 5.PNG

Jan 28, 2022 at 10:43 PM Post #4,744 of 7,871
Jan 28, 2022 at 10:44 PM Post #4,745 of 7,871
Is the ribbon type switch on the VM-1a to toggle between sr1a and the upcoming circumaural?

Jan 28, 2022 at 10:59 PM Post #4,746 of 7,871
1) How did you get that schitt (the tube Raal)?
2) How does it sound?
1. I bothered Danny @Raalrequisite and called every week or two for updates on the tube Amp. I am the first buyer of the amp. I bought one of the first articles I belive. Might take a month or two until production units are available. Might be able to order and have em built to order tho.

2) sounds somehow more detailed than my hsa1b and my hsa1b sounds thin and harsh in comparison at least when the vm is in Triode mode.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2022 at 12:03 AM Post #4,748 of 7,871
Jan 29, 2022 at 12:11 AM Post #4,749 of 7,871
Have you tried a tube preamp with the HSA-1b? If so, how does that compare to the Raal tube

I have been running my hsa1-b with a Freya plus tube pre.

But I did my comparisons with with with the amps directly from the dac.

What I have shared so far are comparisons from my first two hours with the amp.
In the next week or so I will post updates.

Jan 29, 2022 at 12:22 AM Post #4,750 of 7,871
I have been running my hsa1-b with a Freya plus tube pre.

But I did my comparisons with with with the amps directly from the dac.

What I have shared so far are comparisons from my first two hours with the amp.
In the next week or so I will post updates.
Thanks for the impressions. I look forward to more updates :beerchug:

Jan 29, 2022 at 12:30 AM Post #4,751 of 7,871
The Freya+ | Benchmark AHB2 | Musetec 005 DAC is a really unique sound with the SR1a. It is not very warm sounding like my other RAAL SR1a amps. It is very clear. detailed, and non-fatiguing. I no longer have this combo for the SR1a but I do keep the Freya+ and the AHB2 together in another system since I love this combo. The Freya+ with 2 of my other warmer amps, the CODA #8 and KRELL 175XD were not as impressive to me as the AHB2 and Freya+. I was planning on selling the Freya+ but now that I have heard it with the AHB2 I am keeping it.

The Freya+ | AHB2 | Benchmark DAC3B was not a good combo with the SR1a, since it was slightly fatiguing. Though this is the gear I use in my living room with KEF LS50 + KEF KC62 sub and it is not fatiguing and sounds great.

Jan 29, 2022 at 12:38 AM Post #4,752 of 7,871
2) sounds somehow more detailed than my hsa1b and my hsa1b sounds thin and harsh in comparison at least when the vm is in Triode mode.
More detailed than the HSA1b?! I think my head just exploded.

Jan 29, 2022 at 3:22 PM Post #4,753 of 7,871
the 1b is incredibly detailed...so much so that I make sure not to listen to any of my other HP's straight out of the sr1a because they all sound too thick and congested despite the fact that they are incredible HP's...what amazes me is how much of a difference placement of the sr1a makes...by moving them forward or backwards you can literally change the sound completely...making them louder and changing the imagining...I have recently moved them closer to my ears rather than forward on my face...obviously you can change the sound stage as well by widening or narrowing...they are for me the most unique and most interesting of all of my HP's...there is no best but I do love them and on a relative basis given all the insane price increases they are a bargain especially in the used market

Jan 30, 2022 at 3:53 PM Post #4,754 of 7,871
the 1b is incredibly detailed...so much so that I make sure not to listen to any of my other HP's straight out of the sr1a because they all sound too thick and congested despite the fact that they are incredible HP's...what amazes me is how much of a difference placement of the sr1a makes...by moving them forward or backwards you can literally change the sound completely...making them louder and changing the imagining...I have recently moved them closer to my ears rather than forward on my face...obviously you can change the sound stage as well by widening or narrowing...they are for me the most unique and most interesting of all of my HP's...there is no best but I do love them and on a relative basis given all the insane price increases they are a bargain especially in the used market
I agree. My 1b is also wonderfully detailed, but tonally beautifully as well.
If the new tube amp is substantially better in these aspects it will really be something. The SR1a/1b combo could use more bass on some rock/electronic music, but for classical and jazz the bass seems mostly about right. Hard to listen to my Stax sometimes. Well, almost all of the time.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2022 at 4:18 PM Post #4,755 of 7,871
agreed the 1B is a great compliment to the sr1a....hard to imagine much better

Users who are viewing this thread

Back