Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Feb 11, 2022 at 11:48 PM Post #4,771 of 7,885
If anyone wants to trade their sr1a + Hsa1b for an Abyss TC + Superconductor cable (5ft 1/4 inch) please DM me. Cheers.

Feb 12, 2022 at 12:00 AM Post #4,772 of 7,885
A 2-channel guys RAAL SR1a setup. Debating on getting the HSA-1b or the Jotunheim for the bedroom.

The CODA #8 amp and also a KRELL 175XD stereo amp are both connected to the CODA 07x preamp (not shown) at the same time. Though only 1 amp is turned on at a time. I am using Audience Conductor SE speaker cable from the KRELL to the RAAL amp interface box. On the CODA I have Audience FrontRow speaker cable. This is really killer sound. They each sound different. Here is more on the amp sound differences.

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/krell-duo-175xd/post?postid=2339170#2339170

BTW - I only have the messy speaker wire connected from the KRELL to the RAAL when I want to hear the KRELL instead of the CODA. I also rotate the amps with my 2-channel speaker, a refurbished Thiel CS3.7.

Raal11.jpg
Raal12.jpg

Feb 12, 2022 at 6:54 AM Post #4,773 of 7,885
A 2-channel guys RAAL SR1a setup. Debating on getting the HSA-1b or the Jotunheim for the bedroom.

The CODA #8 amp and also a KRELL 175XD stereo amp are both connected to the CODA 07x preamp (not shown) at the same time. Though only 1 amp is turned on at a time. I am using Audience Conductor SE speaker cable from the KRELL to the RAAL amp interface box. On the CODA I have Audience FrontRow speaker cable. This is really killer sound. They each sound different. Here is more on the amp sound differences.

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/krell-duo-175xd/post?postid=2339170#2339170

BTW - I only have the messy speaker wire connected from the KRELL to the RAAL when I want to hear the KRELL instead of the CODA. I also rotate the amps with my 2-channel speaker, a refurbished Thiel CS3.7.

Raal11.jpgRaal12.jpg
There is a considerable price difference JOT R versus HSA-1b. If that is a non issue then the HSA-1b will give you the option to use it with just about any HP made (except electrostatics). The JOT R is dedicated to the HSA-1b (and presumably the closed RAAL HP yet to come). The HSA-1b can also drive some small desktop / bookcase speakers which could make sense for a bedroom. I own both HSA-1b and JOT R. As a Hi-Fi hobbyist things change from time to time, especially with HP's. Price aside, the only drawback to the HSA-1b is the gain adjustment is internal (at least on mine) but unless you change the equipment in front of it monthly that shouldn't be a big deal.

Feb 12, 2022 at 10:41 AM Post #4,774 of 7,885
Feb 12, 2022 at 11:20 AM Post #4,775 of 7,885
There is a considerable price difference JOT R versus HSA-1b. If that is a non issue then the HSA-1b will give you the option to use it with just about any HP made (except electrostatics). The JOT R is dedicated to the HSA-1b (and presumably the closed RAAL HP yet to come). The HSA-1b can also drive some small desktop / bookcase speakers which could make sense for a bedroom. I own both HSA-1b and JOT R. As a Hi-Fi hobbyist things change from time to time, especially with HP's. Price aside, the only drawback to the HSA-1b is the gain adjustment is internal (at least on mine) but unless you change the equipment in front of it monthly that shouldn't be a big deal.
I used to have the Meze Empy with a Benchmark HPA4 (now have Benchmark LA4). I sold both of those after I got the RAAL SR1a because I never listened to the Meze. At this point I do not imagine myself getting another headphone, maybe a second SR1a as backup. There is someone selling a SR1a + JOT R for a good price.

Thanks for that comment on the gain of the HSA-1b. I totally forgot about that. I had the HSA-1b in my house for 2 or 3 weeks last year and I did open up the case the change the jumpers.

Last night as I was looking around on comments between the JOT R and the HSA-1b I came across this quote on Stereophile.
https://www.stereophile.com/content/gramophone-dreams-53-raal-requisite-hsa-1b-headphoneloudspeaker-amplifier-page-2
Overall, I thought the Jotunheim R was slightly—I repeat slightly—leaner, drier, crisper, and more energized than the HSA-1b. This slight crisp leanness translated into a greater sense of transparency, but I preferred the weightier, more colorful presentation of RAAL's HSA-1b.

Schitt and RAAL are very close to my house. If Schitt gets back to me with an email on whether they have the JOT R available for demo in Newhall I will make that 60-mile drive today to listen and maybe buy it.

Feb 12, 2022 at 11:29 AM Post #4,776 of 7,885
...Last night as I was looking around on comments between the JOT R and the HSA-1b I came across this quote on Stereophile.
https://www.stereophile.com/content/gramophone-dreams-53-raal-requisite-hsa-1b-headphoneloudspeaker-amplifier-page-2

Schitt and RAAL are very close to my house. If Schitt gets back to me with an email on whether they have the JOT R available for demo in Newhall I will make that 60-mile drive today to listen and maybe buy it.
Yep, I agree with that assessment on JOT R vs HSA-1b so for those that do have to be budget conscious the JOT R will not be a letdown, especially if popular genres of music are the listeners main diet. I also like the SR1a driven off my PrimaLuna EVO400, particularly in Ultralinear mode which delivers around 70 watts per channel using EL34's. I am curious about that forthcoming RAAL VM-1 as that will eliminate the resistor box and what, if anything, it contributes to the sound.

Feb 12, 2022 at 11:55 AM Post #4,777 of 7,885
I am curious about that forthcoming RAAL VM-1 as that will eliminate the resistor box and what, if anything, it contributes to the sound.

I was also thinking that the resister box would be a detriment but after trying a lot of different sounding amps with the box I found out that I could hear the sonic character of each amp very clearly. So maybe the box is not too bad, though a simpler or cleaner signal path should be better. I do find that my current sound is amazing and the best I have heard with the SR1a.

Here are the 2-channel amps I tried over the last 12 months.

- D-Sonic M3a 800s (Class D with massive power and very good with the SR1a but not as clean on top)

- Benchmark AHB2 stereo and mono. Too fatiguing, until I used it with the Schitt Freya+ and my Musetec 005 DAC. This is a much clearer sound (not warm) than what I have now. It was also not fatiguing. The AHB2 are my favorite 2 channel amps but they cannot be used with all hard to drive speakers.

- CODA #8 and KRELL 175XD sounds exactly as the dealer's comments below on the SR1a. He is referring to speakers.
These are two fantastic power amplifiers, the Krell is a bit more liquid and has a lot of the flow of a tube amp. The Coda is a bit more omph in the bass but does not have as rich of a presentation as the krell both amplifiers are super musical, the Coda is a bit more clean overall the Krell a bit lusher.

- KRELL K-300i integrated amp. Just loved this and the simplicity of the unit with ROON READY and internal DAC. I sold this last week and need to replace it with either the HSA-1b or the JOT R.

- LSA Voyager 350 GAN (with EVS mods). This sounded like the AHB2 (after the mods) and needed some warmth to make it work with the SR1a.

- Parasound A21+. A nice warm amp for the RAAL. Though a little less smooth than the KRELL's. I traded it in for the KRELL 175XD which had the little extra smoothness or refinement I was missing.

I sold all the amps listed above and kept the CODA, KRELL, and Benchmark for the long term.

BTW - I drove to RAAL in Ventura last Sept to hear the RAAL VM-1, however, the customs or shipper had broken the unit and I could not hear it. I may have been lucky with that, since I may have saved some money. Danny at RAAL was very complimentary on the VM-1.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2022 at 1:06 PM Post #4,778 of 7,885
To my ears the resistor box was a different, not better or worse sound, than using the direct outputs on the JOT R or HSA-1b. Both have that bass compensation built in (as it's needed) so still not the purest, and the VM-1 will have it as well. Plus I EQ the with Lokius using the 20Hz band with my SR1a so there's no absolute purety in my chain. I could quite easily live with any 1 of the 3 options I have. But I also like my Susvara straight up with no compensation and l still enjoy my HD800 and HD800S especially when using them with my oppo watching movies, the light weight is good for that. My choice of HP for the day depends on my mood and the SQ of the recordings I'm listening to in any given session.

Feb 13, 2022 at 6:38 PM Post #4,780 of 7,885
Has anyone used the kinki ex-m7 power amp with the Raal and could offer any comments?

Thankyou

I have used this combo before.
the M7 most definitely has enough power to drive the Raal. I'd say the final sound is much more dependant on your pre than the M7 (i have used a few pres with the M7).

Feb 13, 2022 at 6:43 PM Post #4,782 of 7,885
Thankyou

Pre is the Pass Labs HPA1 - XA25 is the other option im looking at but double the price.

I've not tried the XA25 before.
But I think the M7 will not disappoint. I'm using it for all my headphones (and previously the Raal) and have used it for a speaker setup as well.
If you are looking for a more clinical and neutral sound, I liked (and regret selling) the Apollon stereo 1et400a power amplifier. the M7 build quality knocks the Apollon out of the park though...

Feb 13, 2022 at 7:08 PM Post #4,783 of 7,885
Try the Schitt Freya+ on the 15-day home trial with the Kinki M7. I think the Freya+ and Benchmark AHB2 (very neutral) are great. A clean, clear, non-fatiguing sound. The Freya+ is not too tubey.

Feb 13, 2022 at 7:11 PM Post #4,784 of 7,885
Try the Schitt Freya+ on the 15-day home trial with the Kinki M7. I think the Freya+ and Benchmark AHB2 (very neutral) are great. A clean, clear, non-fatiguing sound. The Freya+ is not too tubey.

Yea I had the AHB2 and agree it is really neutral. Great little amp nice build but watch out for the sharp edges in the heat sink fins (I have cut myself a few times).

Feb 13, 2022 at 7:14 PM Post #4,785 of 7,885
Yea I had the AHB2 and agree it is really neutral. Great little amp nice build but watch out for the sharp edges in the heat sink fins (I have cut myself a few times).
The SR1a was designed in Serbia using the AHB2. However, this amp requires something warm in front of it if using it with the RAAL. My sold state CODA 07x (tubey) was not warm enough to tame the RAAL. While the Freya+ ($1000) does tame it. The 07x is a much better preamp, but I am talking about taming the beast here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back