Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Jul 13, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #4,261 of 7,898
Has anyone tried to pair the SR1a with either the Schiit Vidar or Aegis? If I go by the recommendations from Raal I would assume that the Aegis especially would be underpowered but I am also reading that some users here have had success with amps that aren't all that beefy in pure power output.

Curious if there is any feedback from the folks here.
nm. Found some feedback from the search panel 🤦‍♂️

Jul 13, 2021 at 7:52 PM Post #4,262 of 7,898
Hi,

Maybe the HSA-1b could fit your expectations. The 1266 mids are improved with more body, more presence through this amplifier.
At least this is my perception compared to other TOTL amplifiers.

I have the HSA-1b :) The TC is quite a bit better with the WA33, it's actually the best pairing with the amp out of every headphone I've tried. I'm very happy with it, just want to ensure any speaker amp I buy isn't thin, laid back or recessed in the mids, as that would exacerbate the natural issue inherent to the TC.

Jul 13, 2021 at 7:55 PM Post #4,263 of 7,898
I have the HSA-1b :) The TC is quite a bit better with the WA33, it's actually the best pairing with the amp out of every headphone I've tried. I'm very happy with it, just want to ensure any speaker amp I buy isn't thin, laid back or recessed in the mids, as that would exacerbate the natural issue inherent to the TC.
I guess its about what we prefer. I really love the WA33, but I prefer the HSA-1b as I felt the tubes took away that stat-like quickness that the ss amp could provide. So if someone is looking for a meatier more rounded presentation, then I can totally understand their preference. I prefer complete transparency, quickness and detail extraction. Great we all have options.

Jul 13, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #4,264 of 7,898
I guess its about what we prefer. I really love the WA33, but I prefer the HSA-1b as I felt the tubes took away that stat-like quickness that the ss amp could provide. So if someone is looking for a meatier more rounded presentation, then I can totally understand their preference. I prefer complete transparency, quickness and detail extraction. Great we all have options.
I agree, I also like the quickness of the hsa-1b....

Jul 13, 2021 at 8:22 PM Post #4,265 of 7,898

I agree, I also like the quickness of the hsa-1b....

And how we hear. :) I've not at all heard an improvement in speed, or any area for that matter, with the TC and the HSA-1b vs. the WA33. The TC, through the WA33 is as fast as the 009 and very close to the Raal if not as fast. However, I would need to do deeper comparison, as after a few listens with the TC/Susvara, I went back to the WA33 (which, no bias, I'm potentially replacing it lol).

I'm not ragging on the HSA-1b, as I own it, but to be very honest I didn't find it to be a *really large* improvement over the Jot R--especially considering the price. Which wasn't too surprising, as that's essentially how people responded when I posed the question before buying it in this thread. That's the main reason I'm searching for a speaker amp. I have a hunch that the Sr1a will improve a bit with a speaker amp over the HSA-1b. I'm more so curious with the Susvara in other speaker amps (given all of the impressions and chatter), but I feel that the Sr1a has the biggest potential for gain in performance.

But I'm planning to buy potentially two speaker amps and I'll keep the HSA-1b on hand to compare and report back as well. Lastly, agree on the options statement, as more than anything, what's been proven is that there are a plethora of capable amps/options for ALL of these TOTL headphones. A lot comes down to our ears. :)

Jul 13, 2021 at 9:01 PM Post #4,266 of 7,898
And how we hear. :) I've not at all heard an improvement in speed, or any area for that matter, with the TC and the HSA-1b vs. the WA33. The TC, through the WA33 is as fast as the 009 and very close to the Raal if not as fast. However, I would need to do deeper comparison, as after a few listens with the TC/Susvara, I went back to the WA33 (which, no bias, I'm potentially replacing it lol).

I'm not ragging on the HSA-1b, as I own it, but to be very honest I didn't find it to be a *really large* improvement over the Jot R--especially considering the price. Which wasn't too surprising, as that's essentially how people responded when I posed the question before buying it in this thread. That's the main reason I'm searching for a speaker amp. I have a hunch that the Sr1a will improve a bit with a speaker amp over the HSA-1b. I'm more so curious with the Susvara in other speaker amps (given all of the impressions and chatter), but I feel that the Sr1a has the biggest potential for gain in performance.

But I'm planning to buy potentially two speaker amps and I'll keep the HSA-1b on hand to compare and report back as well. Lastly, agree on the options statement, as more than anything, what's been proven is that there are a plethora of capable amps/options for ALL of these TOTL headphones. A lot comes down to our ears. :)
we all hear differently to me the 1b is a huge improvement over the jotr which I am still grateful for because it allowed me to get into the sr1a at a price I could deal with and the jotr still serves me as a solid travel option..

Jul 13, 2021 at 10:17 PM Post #4,267 of 7,898
The WA33 is great with the TCs (and other headphones, of course). I feel like if somebody wants to jump into summit-fi and get to the top quickly, I feel like almost everybody would be blown away with the WA33/TC/mDave combo (or DCS or Holo May, etc. I’m guessing)

Then depending on your budget, you can get the Elite WA33 (maybe with JPS wiring) and Sean Jacobs Power supplies for the DAVE and M-Scaler.

I read in another thread that the TC/WA33/mDAVE is the “generic” end-game setup, because a relatively large number of us have those components. That could be true, but it doesn’t mean the result is bad. It’s the generic “end-game” setup for a reason. :L3000:

Jul 13, 2021 at 11:16 PM Post #4,268 of 7,898
The WA33 is great with the TCs (and other headphones, of course). I feel like if somebody wants to jump into summit-fi and get to the top quickly, I feel like almost everybody would be blown away with the WA33/TC/mDave combo (or DCS or Holo May, etc. I’m guessing)

Then depending on your budget, you can get the Elite WA33 (maybe with JPS wiring) and Sean Jacobs Power supplies for the DAVE and M-Scaler.

I read in another thread that the TC/WA33/mDAVE is the “generic” end-game setup, because a relatively large number of us have those components. That could be true, but it doesn’t mean the result is bad. It’s the generic “end-game” setup for a reason. :L3000:
Well-put.

Jul 13, 2021 at 11:18 PM Post #4,269 of 7,898
I love the TC off SS speaker amp. Unleashes its true potential w.r.t dynamic slam and punch, detail retrieval, sound stage, and also sounds musical when the track calls for it.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2021 at 11:20 PM Post #4,270 of 7,898

Absolutely. There's a reason the Woo/JPS/Abyss partnership exists. I can't really put my finger on why, but it's just a really good combo. Pretty much full proof. I would think a more traditionally "tubey" amp would be a better fit. But alas.

All of that said. Was impressed with how well my $700 marantz stereo amp held it's own with the Woo w/the Susvara. Slightly harder hitting bass, and just slightly behind in all other categories. Didn't have the same impression with the TC (still very good, especially for the price). But the Sr1a is more demanding, so as soon as the Raal interface box gets here that'll be the first default comparison I make until getting another amp in. :)

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2021 at 11:22 PM Post #4,271 of 7,898
Absolutely. There's a reason the Woo/JPS/Abyss partnership exists. I can't really put my finger on why, but it's just a really good combo. Pretty much full proof. I would think a more traditionally "tubey" amp would be a better fit. But alas.

All of that said. Was impressed with how well my $700 marantz stereo amp held it's own with the Woo w/the Susvara. Slightly harder hitting bass, and just slightly behind in all other categories. Didn't have the same impression with the TC (still very good, especially for the price). But the Sr1a is more demanding, so as soon as the Raal interface box gets here that'll be the first default comparison I make until getting another amp in. :)
Look forward to your impressions after you try some of the best in the stereo amp world, which I am sure, you will get to, soon enough, lol. 🙂

Jul 14, 2021 at 2:47 AM Post #4,272 of 7,898
[about WA33] I prefer complete transparency, quickness and detail extraction.
You should really try Viva Egoista 845, it surprises me how transparent it sounds. Cannot compare to WA33 (haven't heard it) nor AIC-10 (yet to hear)
[about HSA-1b] So if someone is looking for a meatier more rounded presentation, then I can totally understand their preference.
I really want to try this amp, as Bartok's SS headphone amp sound very similar to Viva (just worse), I would like to complement 1266 with an amp, that changes its midrange presentation and brings it closer to Susvara/HE-1.

Jul 14, 2021 at 3:00 AM Post #4,273 of 7,898
I really want to try this amp, as Bartok's SS headphone amp sound very similar to Viva (just worse), I would like to complement 1266 with an amp, that changes its midrange presentation and brings it closer to Susvara/HE-1.

Well, that's the Riviera AIC-10 equipped with a Mullard tube (sorry for the OT).
I know it is expensive and I know that you always tried to demo it at home without success, but I could not resist to post this, sorry :stuck_out_tongue:

By the way, I am also very tempted to re-try the SR1a (which I sold a few months ago) with the HSA-1b, or with the upcoming (?) tube amp from RAAL, I honestly miss the uniqueness of this thing.

Jul 14, 2021 at 3:07 AM Post #4,274 of 7,898
I know it is expensive and I know that you always tried to demo it at home without success, but I could not resist to post this, sorry :stuck_out_tongue:
I have a head-fier coming over tonight with his AIC-10, so perhaps I will buy that one over ultra transparent Viva :)

By the way, I am also very tempted to re-try the SR1a (which I sold a few months ago) with the HSA-1b, or with the upcoming (?) tube amp from RAAL, I honestly miss the uniqueness of this thing.
Please do and report back! I will only be able to check out RAAL's stack end of August.

Jul 14, 2021 at 3:32 AM Post #4,275 of 7,898
Well, that's the Riviera AIC-10 equipped with a Mullard tube (sorry for the OT).

Do we know anything about the tubeamp?
Which tube types are used?
Is it Raal only like JotR or for all headphones like HSA-1B?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back