Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Jun 13, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #4,006 of 7,883
as an owner of the sr1a and the hsa-1b(which I love) the thought of using the wa33 as a preamp doesnt seem all that cost effective lol
Oh I definitely wouldn't if I didn't already have it here lol. In general I don't like adding another unit in between the DAC and Amp, but am seeing some benefit. I'm leaning towards just using the HSA-1b, but want to make sure I'm using the most optimized settings before doing so. :)

Jun 13, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #4,007 of 7,883
For people using the Raal with the HSA-1b and the WA33 or any other amp as a preamp, how do you have each dialed in volume wise (and your DAC)? To my ears, the Raal sounds a bit more transparent through the HSA-1b by itself, but seems to have slightly better bass through the Woo. These are not huge differences, but just trying to settle on whether I use the Woo as a pre or just have the HSA straight from the Dave. Any insight is appreciated!
11 o'clock on the WA33 (in pre amp mode, Low ohm, high volume gain), then whatever you want on the HSA-1b. I keep my DAVE volume at -6, as directed by Woo Audio.

Jun 13, 2021 at 7:32 PM Post #4,008 of 7,883
I have my dave/blu2 set at 0 into my hsa-1b in order to get enough volume and have some room

Jun 13, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #4,009 of 7,883
11 o'clock on the WA33 (in pre amp mode, Low ohm, high volume gain), then whatever you want on the HSA-1b. I keep my DAVE volume at -6, as directed by Woo Audio.

Appreciate it, I should probably try low impedance as I haven't. I'll check out these exact settings.

Jun 14, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #4,010 of 7,883
Count me in as another convolution devotee. I've long used EQ settings similar to those Amir specified in his review, and really enjoyed them. They put out significant, tactile bass for one, and while I'm not a bass head, I am a bass player, and I appreciate realistic reproduction of all instruments. Mitch's convolution settings are significantly better than Amir's EQ, and seem to remove a little honkiness from the sound that is evident when switching back and forth.

I couldn't say which is more accurate with any fidelity, but I can tell them apart 100% of the time, and my preference is similarly 100% in favor of Mitch's.

$250 is a silly amount of money, considering many others put similar work out for free, but I can't argue with results and I don't begrudge the man for charging what he can while he can. It's certainly the most obvious upgrade you can enjoy for $250, and likely for any amount of money.

Jun 16, 2021 at 6:45 PM Post #4,011 of 7,883
I'm going to make a bold statement, but the SR1as (with the filters and the hsa-1b) are now my favorite pair of headphones for everything except hip-hop. They just sound so good now with the 3rd filter from Mitch's collection. I can't wait to hear them with the silver cable. Amazing pair of ear speakers :L3000:

If there was just a bit more slam and extension, the SR1as would be near perfect. Maybe an SR2a will be even better :thinking:

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2021 at 7:33 PM Post #4,012 of 7,883
without the filter they are my favorite out of the hsa-1b fed by the dave/blu2 although I love the abyss and susvara...I tend to shy away from EQ but I am tempted

Jun 16, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #4,013 of 7,883
without the filter they are my favorite out of the hsa-1b fed by the dave/blu2 although I love the abyss and susvara...I tend to shy away from EQ but I am tempted
If this process can be put in a box so I could connect it between my Yggdrasil and HSA-1b I'd try it.

Jun 16, 2021 at 8:23 PM Post #4,014 of 7,883
I'm going to make a bold statement, but the SR1as (with the filters and the hsa-1b) are now my favorite pair of headphones for everything except hip-hop. They just sound so good now with the 3rd filter from Mitch's collection. I can't wait to hear them with the silver cable. Amazing pair of ear speakers :L3000:

If there was just a bit more slam and extension, the SR1as would be near perfect. Maybe an SR2a will be even better :thinking:

I'm headed out of town soon, but after that I'm getting right on these filters. Too much consistently good feedback.

I had a few very long sessions this past weekend and this week and the Sr1a truly is amazing. Especially with Acoustic--probably the best in that regard. I still can't call a 'best' between the TC/Susvara/009/Sr1a.. but I totally get how someone could based on what they prefer/genres they listen to. Out of your collection, which of your headphones get the most head time?

Jun 16, 2021 at 9:14 PM Post #4,015 of 7,883
I'm headed out of town soon, but after that I'm getting right on these filters. Too much consistently good feedback.

I had a few very long sessions this past weekend and this week and the Sr1a truly is amazing. Especially with Acoustic--probably the best in that regard. I still can't call a 'best' between the TC/Susvara/009/Sr1a.. but I totally get how someone could based on what they prefer/genres they listen to. Out of your collection, which of your headphones get the most head time?
I’m pretty diligent about swapping out headphones every day. I go TCs 1 day, Susvara the next, LCD-4 following that, then SR1as.

However, I’ve broken my rules and listened to the SR1as three days in a row now. These filters have transformed the SR1as for me.

Here’s what genres I think work the best with each headphone

LCD-4: Sludge, groove metal and Stoner Rock (doom)

Susvaras: Black metal and indie female vocals. Indie bands, in general.

TCs: Hip hop, electronica, powerviolence grindcore,

Sr1as: Death metal, grindcore, acoustic guitar

Jun 16, 2021 at 9:42 PM Post #4,016 of 7,883
sr1a's,death metal wow lol....about as extreme as I get is some zep or sabbath or deep purple...otherwise mostly blues and jazz

Jun 16, 2021 at 9:49 PM Post #4,017 of 7,883
sr1a's,death metal wow lol....about as extreme as I get is some zep or sabbath or deep purple...otherwise mostly blues and jazz
The speed of the SR1as makes very fast music sound so good. It’s very impressive technology wise. It’s hard to explain though. It’s just, umm, fast and precise. The Susvaras are fast too, but the SR1as I think are faster. What’s so good about the Sr1as, is that you can have extremely dense sounds and extremely fast sounds going all over the soundstage, but you can also pick out the other instruments really easy too. Lesser headphones would be overwhelmed with the layering and separation of complex, fast metal. I think the TCs and Susvaras can do it well too, but not as good ad the SR1as. The LCD-4 is slower, but the midrange is magical. Guitars sound so crunchy (which is a good thing in my book)

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2021 at 9:56 PM Post #4,018 of 7,883
I agree, the thing I find so impressive about the sr1a is not only the detail and clarity but the ability to pick out individual instruments and even harmonies in the background I never heard before...also some spooky chatter in the recording likely not meant to be there...I also have learned the lyrics to many songs I couldnt make out with other HP's...it really is a remarkable technology

Jun 17, 2021 at 12:27 AM Post #4,019 of 7,883
The speed of the SR1as makes very fast music sound so good. It’s very impressive technology wise. It’s hard to explain though. It’s just, umm, fast and precise. The Susvaras are fast too, but the SR1as I think are faster. What’s so good about the Sr1as, is that you can have extremely dense sounds and extremely fast sounds going all over the soundstage, but you can also pick out the other instruments really easy too. Lesser headphones would be overwhelmed with the layering and separation of complex, fast metal. I think the TCs and Susvaras can do it well too, but not as good ad the SR1as. The LCD-4 is slower, but the midrange is magical. Guitars sound so crunchy (which is a good thing in my book)

I agree, the thing I find so impressive about the sr1a is not only the detail and clarity but the ability to pick out individual instruments and even harmonies in the background I never heard before...also some spooky chatter in the recording likely not meant to be there...I also have learned the lyrics to many songs I couldnt make out with other HP's...it really is a remarkable technology

Very much agree with both of these posts. The layering and ability to pin point every instrument and sound across the spectrum with the Sr1a is just insane. Absolutely one of the greatest things about it.

Jun 17, 2021 at 1:02 AM Post #4,020 of 7,883
I have had these for a while now. The sound is certainly beyond amazing, but I really struggle wear this for more than 30 minutes, the main discomfort is that the headband squeezes my head a bit too tight. Is anyone else experiencing the same thing?

Another minor complain which is likely due to unique design is when I lower my head (like when I am writing), the headphone also slip down a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back