Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Jun 17, 2021 at 1:08 AM Post #4,021 of 7,883
as an owner of the sr1a and the hsa-1b(which I love) the thought of using the wa33 as a preamp doesnt seem all that cost effective lol

$250 is a silly amount of money, considering many others put similar work out for free, but I can't argue with results and I don't begrudge the man for charging what he can while he can. It's certainly the most obvious upgrade you can enjoy for $250, and likely for any amount of money.
After putting in the convolution filter, I sold a tube DAC that was made redundant for $2k and last night I removed $7K more of gear. With the filter, the $1500 400 watt @ 8 Ohm D-Sonic M3a 800s amp and Audience Conductor SE speaker wire replaced my Benchmark AHB2 amp and Audience FrontRow speaker wire. The more expensive gear went back to my floorstander. The cheaper stuff sounded great with the convolution filter, without the filter I liked the more expensive gear by a large margin. Now the more expensive gear is still a little better but the lower cost gear sounds closer to them with the filter. I look at it as earning money.

Jun 17, 2021 at 3:56 AM Post #4,022 of 7,883
Freshly opened.

A436A56A-16E4-494C-80BE-76D3A6DA11F2.jpeg

Jun 17, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #4,024 of 7,883
Listening to the Raal for only a few hours now.

Absolutely in love.
Looking forward to your impressions compared to the Susvara after a while of listening

Jun 17, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #4,025 of 7,883
Looking forward to your impressions compared to the Susvara after a while of listening
I can probably tell you now, but I probably shouldn't compare a headphone I have heard for 5 hours (despite back pain, lol) with one I have been listening to for a year.

Lots of goosebump moments in the last 5 hours, more than I thought possible, in a hobby where goosebumps are traded for kilobucks.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #4,026 of 7,883
I can probably tell you now, but I probably shouldn't compare a headphone I have heard for 5 hours (despite back pain, lol) with one I have been listening to for a year.

Lots of goosebump moments in the last 5 hours, more than I thought possible, in a hobby where goosebumps are traded for kilobucks.
Are you using their amp as well?
How do you power thr RAAL?

Jun 17, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #4,028 of 7,883
I have had these for a while now. The sound is certainly beyond amazing, but I really struggle wear this for more than 30 minutes, the main discomfort is that the headband squeezes my head a bit too tight. Is anyone else experiencing the same thing?

Another minor complain which is likely due to unique design is when I lower my head (like when I am writing), the headphone also slip down a bit.
easy solution...the headband can be bent to the size of your noggin....there is a video online from raal that shows all the manipulation you can safely do

Jun 17, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #4,029 of 7,883
Jun 18, 2021 at 7:30 AM Post #4,031 of 7,883
How NOT to wear the Raal SR1A :gs1000smile:

Attachments

• IMG_2005.jpeg
    IMG_2005.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Jun 18, 2021 at 7:56 AM Post #4,032 of 7,883
Jun 18, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #4,033 of 7,883
Jun 18, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #4,034 of 7,883
I have had these for a while now. The sound is certainly beyond amazing, but I really struggle wear this for more than 30 minutes, the main discomfort is that the headband squeezes my head a bit too tight. Is anyone else experiencing the same thing?

Another minor complain which is likely due to unique design is when I lower my head (like when I am writing), the headphone also slip down a bit.
Take one of these and call me in the morning: https://shop.zmfheadphones.com/collections/pads/products/pilot-pad

It is miles better than stock. Also may want to do as others have suggested and gently bend the metal chassis to ease the clamping pressure to your liking. With these two mods, the SR1a's are a dream to wear for hours for me. You'll have to think of something clever to keep them from slipping down on your head though. Maybe tighten the backstrap?

Jun 18, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #4,035 of 7,883
Take one of these and call me in the morning: https://shop.zmfheadphones.com/collections/pads/products/pilot-pad

It is miles better than stock. Also may want to do as others have suggested and gently bend the metal chassis to ease the clamping pressure to your liking. With these two mods, the SR1a's are a dream to wear for hours for me. You'll have to think of something clever to keep them from slipping down on your head though. Maybe tighten the backstrap?
So, I got one of those a while back and simply could not figure out how you guys are using it to make the Raal's _more_ comfortable.

It just made them feel weird on my head, so I guess YMMV?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back