Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Mar 28, 2021 at 9:52 PM Post #3,661 of 7,847
Mar 29, 2021 at 4:15 AM Post #3,662 of 7,847
Obviously I'm not trying to talk you into keeping an amp you don't enjoy, but for comparison my Jotunheim R has no audible distortion, and has never had any thermal dropouts. I keep mine on a shelf next to an RME DAC and it's run 24/7 for probably three months. The top is warmer than ambient but nothing close to "hot". Either my amp is a particularly sterling example, or yours is not working as intended.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2021 at 12:12 AM Post #3,663 of 7,847
Obviously I'm not trying to talk you into keeping an amp you don't enjoy, but for comparison my Jotunheim R has no audible distortion, and has never had any thermal dropouts. I keep mine on a shelf next to an RME DAC and it's run 24/7 for probably three months. The top is warmer than ambient but nothing close to "hot". Either my amp is a particularly sterling example, or yours is not working as intended.

Much appreciated. Pretty sure it's defective, along with probably the others that had the same issues. Waiting to hear back from my dealer on next steps for the HSA-1b. If I find out the amp takes as long as the headphones to deliver, I may order a Jot R in the interim. And hopefully, the issue isn't really with the headphone and not the amp. That would be a total blow.

Also, I have no clue why, but the thermal issues subsided after the first day. So weird but I haven't had an issue on that front again. Still getting distortion, but I've created a playlist for the time being of mainly acoustic music and the SR1A is just magical with it. So natural sounding and everything is placed just right. Best staging I've heard in a headphone for sure.

Mar 30, 2021 at 2:28 PM Post #3,664 of 7,847
Successfully cancelled my Ragnarok 2 order, as I wouldn't be receiving it until at least late April due to a parts delay. I was second-guessing it a ton, so I feel relieved. Schiit's customer service rep response was extremely quick!

I'm not currently planning to get another high-end amp in place of it. My cheapo Class D amp doesn't have any obvious issues, and my BBE 282iR Sonic Maximizer changes - improves, for my tastes - the sound much more than any amp could. In fact, I just now ordered another Sonic Maximizer because they could stop being made at any time.

Still super happy with the SR1a - there's nothing "better" to upgrade to, now. Just wish my Jotunheim R had been functional. I'm a little too embarrassed by my cancellation of the Ragnarok 2 to do an RMA anytime soon on the Jotunheim. That's mostly an excuse not to do it, yes.

Apr 2, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #3,665 of 7,847
Just tried something that may help others or I'm just late to the party. I've turned off the baffle correction on the JotR and based on a post earlier in this thread created an eq plot in roon that sounds excellent. Worth a try to increase transparency

Still wishing for a third party amp from ECP or Headamp...

Apr 2, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #3,666 of 7,847
Has anybody compared the SR1a on the HSA-1b vs the Stax SR-009s on the BHSE or the LTA Z10e?

The HSA-1b is on it's way to me, so I'll be able to soon. However, I've been comparing the two the past two nights critically (again, only acoustic or vocal heavy music.. jazz/classical/soul music/piano & guitar/vocal heavy) and I can say that the two are just... different. Short and low level analysis: SR1a amazingly open, and better soundstage; 009 more intimate with more weight to the music--outside of that, they both do everything else amazing in their own right. Both absolutely top of the line and maybe top 3 I've ever heard. Will provide in-depth impressions once I have the new amp. Bottom line though, if you haven't heard them, I'd absolutely give the 009 or 009s with a high quality stat amp a try. If you have already and would just be revisiting.. idk, that would be tough. Cost to get into a decent stat rig is heavy with not too many headphone options.

------

Aside from that.. so the Jot R will be shipped back tomorrow, was able to confirm it's very much likely the amp with a right channel issue through manipulating the cables. It's still having heat issues as well. In any event the HSA1-b is on it's way. Also.. I finally pulled the trigger on the Hifiman Shangri-La Sr. headphones. I absolutely cannot wait until I can hear it alongside the SR1a and 009. Should be very interesting. Will report back.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2021 at 7:14 PM Post #3,667 of 7,847
That's just how I do it, JP. Here's my curve:

1617405279779.png

Apr 2, 2021 at 7:27 PM Post #3,668 of 7,847
The HSA-1b is on it's way to me, so I'll be able to soon. However, I've been comparing the two the past two nights critically (again, only acoustic or vocal heavy music.. jazz/classical/soul music/vocal heavy) and I can say that the two are just... different. Short and low level analysis: SR1a amazingly open, and better soundstage; 009 more intimate with more weight to the music--outside of that, they both do everything else amazing in their own right. Both absolutely top of the line and maybe top 3 I've ever heard. Will provide in-depth impressions once I have the new amp. Bottom line though, if you haven't heard them, I'd absolutely give the 009 or 009s with a high quality stat amp a try. If you have already and would just be revisiting.. idk, that would be tough. Cost to get into a decent stat rig is heavy with not too many headphone options.

------

Aside from that.. so the Jot R will be shipped back tomorrow, was able to confirm it's very much likely the amp with a right channel issue through manipulating the cables. It's still having heat issues as well. In any event the HSA1-b is on it's way. Also.. I finally pulled the trigger on the Hifiman Shangri-La Sr. headphones I absolutely cannot wait until I can hear it alongside the SR1a and 009. Should be very interesting. Will report back.
Nice...thanks for the comparisons. I have had my eyes on the 009s for a while, but haven't heard it yet. Congrats on the Shangri-La Sr. I have often considered buying the Shangri-La Sr headphones by themself and then pair them with a Woo Audio 3ES Elite. I'm curious to hear your comparisons with the HSA-1b and how the Shangri-La Sr. sounds. From what I've read, it should be amazing :L3000:

Apr 2, 2021 at 8:36 PM Post #3,669 of 7,847
Nice...thanks for the comparisons. I have had my eyes on the 009s for a while, but haven't heard it yet. Congrats on the Shangri-La Sr. I have often considered buying the Shangri-La Sr headphones by themself and then pair them with a Woo Audio 3ES Elite. I'm curious to hear your comparisons with the HSA-1b and how the Shangri-La Sr. sounds. From what I've read, it should be amazing :L3000:

Yea if you haven't heard it and if it's easy enough to access/give it a try, then you owe it to yourself. It's definitely that good. And I will definitely report back.. and if the Woo Wes I have for sale isn't sold soon I'll probably be trading it in + cash for the 3ES. I already inquired about it with Woo but didn't want to spend the money, but I may not have a choice lol

Apr 4, 2021 at 10:58 PM Post #3,670 of 7,847
Is there any news of when the circumaural more conventional RAAL/Requisite headphone is supposed to make an appearance? I remember Aleksander from RAAL mentioning it a few years back though I haven't seen anything since. I saw that their new amplifier has a "circumaural" switch so I anticipate it is still on? If anyone knows anything your knowledge would be much appreciated, thankyou :)

Apr 5, 2021 at 4:52 AM Post #3,671 of 7,847
I have a new combo for the SR1a that is rather cost effective and sounds great. I decided to sell my KRELL K-300i integrated because I was not going to use much of the great functionality in my current situation. So I moved my Benchmark stack downstairs to replace the KRELL. KRELL will go on sale fairly shortly.

I now have some new gear that is taking shape in my office for 2 channel and SR1a where the Benchmark stack once resided.

1) Gustard X26 Pro ($1300 on sale) https://soundnews.net/sources/dacs/gustard-x26-pro-dac-review/
2) D-Sonic Ma3-880s ($1500, https://www.d-sonic.com/product-category/stereo/)
- 400/800 watt @ 8/4 Ohm

I have a new preamp coming in but that will take another week, so I am using the Gustard DAC as a preamp DAC direct to the D-Sonic until the preamp arrives. The Gustard was a huge surprise to me. It is the best DAC I have ever owned. Read the review I linked above. I whole heartedly agree. I am currently trying both NOS and OS mode with the 3 filters. I cannot make any of them to sound bad with the D-Sonic amp. No fatigue from any of these options. I get fatigue easily and the SR1a is one that can do that if the associated gear has some hardness. Listening to the Verve's Urban Hymns, which I find sonically a harsh CD, the sound on the SR1a was not fatiguing. It was not soothing either but it was very enjoyable and managed to keep the harshness at bay.

The D-Sonic amp was also a good fit with the SR1a. It is a warmish rounded sound that matches well with the SR1a. It also has a ton of power and I noticed that power when I listened Neil Peart's drumming on Signals and Grace Under Pressure. I love the drumming on those 2 albums and the D-Sonic via the SR1a really made the power of the percussion stand out. This was also done without harshness. The best I ever heard this drumming was on the D-Sonic and SR1a.

I also tried the D-Sonic with my Benchmark HPA4 preamp (before I moved it) with the AudioMirror Tubadour III SE tube DAC. That had some additional warmth over the Gustard. I am not sure if one was better than the other. I liked both a lot.

I am looking forward to the preamp that is arriving which will be a SET based unit and is supposed to be tube like but also very detailed.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #3,672 of 7,847
Is there any news of when the circumaural more conventional RAAL/Requisite headphone is supposed to make an appearance? I remember Aleksander from RAAL mentioning it a few years back though I haven't seen anything since. I saw that their new amplifier has a "circumaural" switch so I anticipate it is still on? If anyone knows anything your knowledge would be much appreciated, thankyou :)
There is the “Gold Planar GL 1200” true ribbon circumaural headphone, not much info around.
Uses a Ribbon driver that looks like it took some constructional detail (center magnet) from SR1a.

In the Drop discussion someone mentioned it can be driven from the Jothunheim R, else it works via an interface box from a power amp like the SR1a.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #3,673 of 7,847
Hi y’al... I’m going to have my sr1a+hsa-1b in a couple of days. My source is dCS Bartók. If anybody has experience with this combo I’d like to hear if adding a line stage is beneficial. Also if xlr vs rca makes a significant difference. Even if no experience with the Bartók, do people generally add a preamp for headphones into hsa-1b?

thanks.

Apr 5, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #3,674 of 7,847
I am using my dave/blu2 straight into my hsa-1b....

Apr 5, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #3,675 of 7,847
I have a new combo for the SR1a that is rather cost effective and sounds great. I decided to sell my KRELL K-300i integrated because I was not going to use much of the great functionality in my current situation. So I moved my Benchmark stack downstairs to replace the KRELL. KRELL will go on sale fairly shortly.

I now have some new gear that is taking shape in my office for 2 channel and SR1a where the Benchmark stack once resided.

1) Gustard X26 Pro ($1300 on sale) https://soundnews.net/sources/dacs/gustard-x26-pro-dac-review/
2) D-Sonic Ma3-880s ($1500, https://www.d-sonic.com/product-category/stereo/)
- 400/800 watt @ 8/4 Ohm

I have a new preamp coming in but that will take another week, so I am using the Gustard DAC as a preamp DAC direct to the D-Sonic until the preamp arrives. The Gustard was a huge surprise to me. It is the best DAC I have ever owned. Read the review I linked above. I whole heartedly agree. I am currently trying both NOS and OS mode with the 3 filters. I cannot make any of them to sound bad with the D-Sonic amp. No fatigue from any of these options. I get fatigue easily and the SR1a is one that can do that if the associated gear has some hardness. Listening to the Verve's Urban Hymns, which I find sonically a harsh CD, the sound on the SR1a was not fatiguing. It was not soothing either but it was very enjoyable and managed to keep the harshness at bay.

The D-Sonic amp was also a good fit with the SR1a. It is a warmish rounded sound that matches well with the SR1a. It also has a ton of power and I noticed that power when I listened Neil Peart's drumming on Signals and Grace Under Pressure. I love the drumming on those 2 albums and the D-Sonic via the SR1a really made the power of the percussion stand out. This was also done without harshness. The best I ever heard this drumming was on the D-Sonic and SR1a.

I also tried the D-Sonic with my Benchmark HPA4 preamp (before I moved it) with the AudioMirror Tubadour III SE tube DAC. That had some additional warmth over the Gustard. I am not sure if one was better than the other. I liked both a lot.

I am looking forward to the preamp that is arriving which will be a SET based unit and is supposed to be tube like but also very detailed.
Thanks for the tip on the D-Sonic. I think I may spring for this to use with my SR1a. The TToby is just not powerful enough and is perhaps a bit too bright. Seems like this will have better synergy all around - power as well as the tonality. The TToby is working out great to drive my 1266 TC so I'll still keep it for that but the SR1a needs something else. Any other amp options to recommend and look into at around this price point and footprint?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back