Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Apr 5, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #3,676 of 7,885
Hi y’al... I’m going to have my sr1a+hsa-1b in a couple of days. My source is dCS Bartók. If anybody has experience with this combo I’d like to hear if adding a line stage is beneficial. Also if xlr vs rca makes a significant difference. Even if no experience with the Bartók, do people generally add a preamp for headphones into hsa-1b?

thanks.
I had not realised that you already had committed to purchasing an SR1a.

Congratulations to you for your new pieces of equipment.

Apr 5, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #3,677 of 7,885
I had not realised that you already had committed to purchasing an SR1a.

Congratulations to you for your new pieces of equipment.
thanks.

Last week I didn’t know they existed; today I don’t think I’ll survive without them. 🤯 I go through a hifi phase every seven years. I’m quite similar to cicadas I guess.

Apr 6, 2021 at 6:03 PM Post #3,678 of 7,885
Having come to the conclusion that the TToby just doesn't have enough juice to drive the SR1a to its full potential, I decided to try this Class D amp based on the Purifi 1ET400A modules. It's reasonably priced and very compact and light, which is something I have to take into consideration to fit into my system.

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...eo-amplifier-purifi-2x400w-4-ohm-p-14557.html

I should receive this in a week or two. It certainly has way more than enough power and reports are that it's totally neutral but still doesn't sound like a typical Class D amp which, of course, is a good thing. I'm not much of a hifi power amp guy at all but this Purifi 1ET400A module seems to be getting rave reviews. I'm hopeful that this will take care of the low-end distortion issues I've been experiencing with the TToby and also be more full-bodied sounding.

Apr 6, 2021 at 6:12 PM Post #3,679 of 7,885
Having come to the conclusion that the TToby just doesn't have enough juice to drive the SR1a to its full potential, I decided to try this Class D amp based on the Purifi 1ET400A modules. It's reasonably priced and very compact and light, which is something I have to take into consideration to fit into my system.

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...eo-amplifier-purifi-2x400w-4-ohm-p-14557.html

I should receive this in a week or two. It certainly has way more than enough power and reports are that it's totally neutral but still doesn't sound like a typical Class D amp which, of course, is a good thing. I'm not much of a hifi power amp guy at all but this Purifi 1ET400A module seems to be getting rave reviews. I'm hopeful that this will take care of the low-end distortion issues I've been experiencing with the TToby and also be more full-bodied sounding.
The JotR is also a good option if you don’t like that amp. The JotR is like $700 without an internal dac. If you wanna go even further, you can get an HSA-1b. It’s like $4500 though. I’m a fan of it

Apr 6, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #3,680 of 7,885
The JotR is also a good option if you don’t like that amp. The JotR is like $700 without an internal dac. If you wanna go even further, you can get an HSA-1b. It’s like $4500 though. I’m a fan of it
Yes, I am certainly aware of the JotR and HSA-1b but I already had the TToby so I kind of committed to amp-rolling with the SR1a and the interface box. I'll probably add the JotR for convenience and travel usage down the line. Like tube-tasting, I'd like to get to know solid-state power amps more.

Apr 6, 2021 at 6:20 PM Post #3,681 of 7,885

That Purifi is likely going to sound like a poor version of the Benchmark AHB2. The AHB2 is not ideal with the SR1a. I have tested this extensively with my 2 AHB2's. I say poor version of the Purifi because of comments on SoundstageNetwork.com that rave on the proto that Bruno sent them. They then said none of the commercial amps they heard with the Purifi module are as good as the prototype. I would wait to buy a Purifi and I would not pair it with an SR1a.

Apr 6, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #3,682 of 7,885
That Purifi is likely going to sound like a poor version of the Benchmark AHB2. The AHB2 is not ideal with the SR1a. I have tested this extensively with my 2 AHB2's. I say poor version of the Purifi because of comments on SoundstageNetwork.com that rave on the proto that Bruno sent them. They then said none of the commercial amps they heard with the Purifi module are as good as the prototype. I would wait to buy a Purifi and I would not pair it with an SR1a.
Well, I guess I'll see how it goes. I can certainly to put it to other use for my business purposes if it doesn't pan out.

Apr 6, 2021 at 8:16 PM Post #3,683 of 7,885
I am looking to buy one of these but before I do, I wanted to see if there were any quality control issues or common driver issues or any special precautions I should take when using or storing these earspeakers. Thanks!

Apr 7, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #3,685 of 7,885
How do you like it for AB-1266 or Susvara? Very curious about this amp.
I prefer the TCs and Susvaras out of my WA33 EE JPS. The HSA-1b drives the TCs pretty well, but I feel it's not powerful enough for the Susvaras (though many other posters disagree). I like that I now have a good solid state amp, but the WA33 is better (it, of course, costs a lot more too, so it may not be a fair comparison).

Apr 7, 2021 at 9:37 AM Post #3,686 of 7,885
I prefer the TCs and Susvaras out of my WA33 EE JPS. The HSA-1b drives the TCs pretty well, but I feel it's not powerful enough for the Susvaras (though many other posters disagree). I like that I now have a good solid state amp, but the WA33 is better (it, of course, costs a lot more too, so it may not be a fair comparison).
I see you are in Houston. Do you by chance know if there is any store in Houston that provides demos for the SR1a? If so, I could maybe wait until stores open back up and then demo it to avoid buying it blindly.

Apr 7, 2021 at 9:41 AM Post #3,687 of 7,885
I am looking to buy one of these but before I do, I wanted to see if there were any quality control issues or common driver issues or any special precautions I should take when using or storing these earspeakers. Thanks!
As I think back on the many TOTL phones I've purchased over the past 5 years and following all the dedicated threads for these models, I think the SR1a may have had significantly less complaints than any others and in my case that includes the Utopia, 1266, and various Senns and a few others. I think I remember 1 post on this thread about a bad ribbon driver, but that, I think, is all.
And I believe Danny sent out immediate replacement.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2021 at 9:41 AM Post #3,688 of 7,885
I see you are in Houston. Do you by chance know if there is any store in Houston that provides demos for the SR1a? If so, I could maybe wait until stores open back up and then demo it to avoid buying it blindly.
Unfortunately, no. One of my friends calls Houston a barren wasteland for hi-fi audio. I kind of agree. I've been buying my stuff blind after extensive research. Maybe you could ask an online dealer for an in-home demo?

Apr 7, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #3,689 of 7,885
Unfortunately, no. One of my friends calls Houston a barren wasteland for hi-fi audio.
Yeah that seems to be the case.
There does seem to be a dealer in Austin, but he is much more interested in trying to sell to me outright rather than provide a demo it seems :smile:

Apr 7, 2021 at 10:12 PM Post #3,690 of 7,885
I was foolish enough to buy the SR1a's blindly (one of the few things I didn't try before I purchased). It paid off in a major way as they are superb. Truly. Just make sure you buy them for the right reasons with the right expectations. The bass is quite light, lighter than I expected actually, but you can shore it up a bit with some EQ. These things are phenomenal for acoustic and/or classical music and the soundstage and imaging are flat out nuts. I much preferred them over the Susvaras for acoustic in particular. Also, SR1a's should be outlawed for use in FPS gaming as isn't fair to your opponents 😂

Lastly, remember that if you buy directly from Raal they come with a 14 day return policy. You don't have much to lose, except for maybe the cost of return shipping.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back