Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Mar 27, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #3,631 of 7,885
the hsa-1b is a step up and I am sure you will like it I have both the jotr and hsa-1b and to be honest never noticed the problems you describe to the extent you do...in truth I think it is a hell of a bargain at its cost and a terrific option to be able to take it with you on a trip etc

Mar 27, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #3,632 of 7,885
I've never had a heat issue with mine and that one sounds extreme if its causing shutdowns. Maybe it is even effecting the sound. I'd contact Schiit about it. I think another poster or two, here or at another site may have had a similar issue.

I've run mine all day on several occasions without any issue.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #3,633 of 7,885
the hsa-1b is a step up and I am sure you will like it I have both the jotr and hsa-1b and to be honest never noticed the problems you describe to the extent you do...in truth I think it is a hell of a bargain at its cost and a terrific option to be able to take it with you on a trip etc

I think I could have a defective Jot R. But a quick search of 'distortion' in this thread shows a lot of detailed descriptions of the same issues I'm having with the combo. I'm not seeing the same issues mentioned with other amps.

I've never had a heat issue with mine and that one sounds extreme if its causing shutdowns. Maybe it is even effecting the sound. I'd contact Schiit about it. I think another poster or two, here or at another site may have had a similar issue.

I've run mine all day on several occasions without any issue.

It doesn't shutdown technically I guess.. it does the thermal probe thing where it cuts off the music once it reaches a certain temp. If I turn the amp off, give it five min and turn back on it's then good to go for another hour or so.

Mar 27, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #3,634 of 7,885
TL;DR: Really enjoying the Raal, incredible wow factor and extremely impressive. I've had the 009 at the top of my list all time, and this is the first headphone I've tried that does some of the things it does best, considerably better & with cohesion. The TC has come close in that regard by matching or even besting the 009 in some technical areas, but the lack of cohesion/presence in the midrange has the 009 clearly ahead for me. The Susvara comes close to the 009 in almost all areas but doesn't match or surpass it (besides bass). For me, that's a really huge realization/experience to have, quite a big deal. The bass *is* lighter than most of the other TOTL cans, but is of high quality and once acclimated to the sound, sounds really good and fits in the spectrum really well. Also, will be looking to replace the Jot R immediately, just a really disappointing (distortion) experience overall with it. (FYI, to avoid the Jot R issues and impact, I have been either listening to songs at moderate volume or leaning towards music with less bass impact and punch to listen louder and more critically)

-------

Whenever I get a substantial new piece of gear, I hold off on major impressions or detailed opinions.. just because they typically develop and mature over time. Will generally do the same here, but I have to say.. I have a really good handle on the SR1a already. Mainly due to them being nearly exactly what I imagined in almost every regard. Having owned the AKG K1000 four times, I expected the Raal to function and sound like a more improved K1000--that is very much the case and it improves on some of the major issues the K1000 had. That said, it still has some imperfections/issues similar to the K1000. Just a couple quick, broad thoughts.. but keep in mind I absolutely expect the sound to improve with a better/sufficient amp) :

1. The Sr1a is top three imo when it comes to realism and wow factor, along with the TC and 009. It's just insane when it comes to the presentation of the music, extremely surreal.. once acclimated to the sound. I can easily identify the differences that stick out for each and can't wait to give it time to come with detailed elaboration on this.
2. Most speaker like headphone experience.. prior to this, I had the L3000 (intimate midrange/bass) and TC (technical ability/openness/bass) as kings in that regard.
3. As hinted at, you definitely need 20-30min to really adjust to the presentation.
4. Just like the K1000, all of the positioning can be a bit daunting to sort out, but there is one key positive difference. To my ears, the K1000 had a sweet spot.. they didn't sound great all the way closed in or all the way open. The Raal sounds really good in all positions.. but that makes it even more annoying lol because it means I'll be tinkering with it more based on the song/genre/mood at the time.
5. Incredibly good with acoustic music. Probably better than the 009 and I have never heard a headphone that does it better than the 009. That's a pretty big deal to me.
6. The bass although really high quality and very tight, definitely is on the lighter side and is just not great with music that has larger quantities of, or, moderately deep/really deep extending bass. This is partly due to the design and both headphones have an issue with it. Again, after more time I'll come back and elaborate. I also have an issue with the Jot R that contributes to this problem, but it isn't just that. Lastly, I can easily say that despite this, it's performance with acoustic, vocal (emphasis) heavy music is totally worth it and that in many cases the bass is sufficient enough.
7. It's not the fault of the Raal, poor recordings for the most part are unlistenable. This is not the case with any other headphone I have. It's a bit of a bummer. Some of my favorite reference tracks, even steamed via Tidal MQ are just unlistenable.

On to the Jot R.... I have to say I am incredibly disappointed in this amp. For starters, it cut off due to heat literally 40min into the very first session.. that has been a major issue ever since. This is in a cool, well ventilated room/setup (this amp wouldn't stand a chance in summer months). Whether using the WA33 as a preamp or not. Balanced or SE Dave. Onto the second and most glaring issue... distortion. The consistent distortion with this amp and the Raal is simply unacceptable. I do want to be clear, it's not an insane level or amount of distortion.. it's low level but is apparent with any song that isn't essentially void of deep bass impact--have to virtually avoid half of my music collection. Again, with the WA33 or not, or SE or Balanced Dave. It doesn't matter, just pretty bad in general. Some distortion, on some tracks, at higher volume.. with this headphone design is to be expected. I am very familiar as the K1000 has the same exact design challenges (just google K1000 distortion or buzzing). However, there is far more consistent distortion than I've ever experienced with the K1000. Couple things on this:

1. With the baffle switch set to off, it is much less of an issue.. but the SQ decreases very noticeably.
2. Baffle switch set to on, it's not an issue at all with music with minimal bass impact/punch
2. I've had tried virtually every volume setting between the WA33, Dave, and Jot R. SQ is even worse with just the Jot R. I've searched this thread and have tried every recommended setting or change. There's a bit less with some positions than others (WA33 @ 9-10 o'clock, Jot R @ noon for example) but still an issue
3. I could assume I have a defective unit, but the amount of consistent calling out on this issue when searching this thread suggests otherwise. Or, if it is, and all of the others also were then it suggests an even larger issue

In any event, I'm going to contact my dealer today. I'll be sending this back if possible and exchanging with an HSA1b asap. I have no desire to try another Jot R unit--at all. And again, can't wait to actually give more detailed impressions and comparisons regarding the K1000, 009, TC etc.
I think it's time you either sell the STAX or upgrade to the DIY T2 for full-scale comparison. And then uberamp awaits you.

Sorry to hear about your Schiit. I really do feel it was a design flaw. It's a safety measure and simply very annoying to deal with.

Mar 27, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #3,635 of 7,885
I think it's time you either sell the STAX or upgrade to the DIY T2 for full-scale comparison. And then uberamp awaits you.

I do want to be clear that I'm not saying the Sr1A bests the 009, it's just the first headphone for me that's clearly at the same level of performance or higher in some regards/areas that no other has been for me (openness, midrange, highs, vocals, details, imaging all at once). The 009 is also better than or at the same level as the Raal in some regards even with just the BHSE. I'm not sure I'll ever land on a single headphone as 'best', as I can clearly see pros and cons for both of these, as well as the TC and Susvara.

Only thing keeping me from the T2 is the price tag. I don't think I can justify having a $7k amp for conventional headphones, $5k amp for the Raal, and $10k amp for the Stax lol. That's actually what kept me away from the Raal so long, and here I am about to end up with the HSA-1b anyway. This hobby is ridiculous lol.

As for the uberamp mentioned, assuming it can also be used with conventional headphones, as the HSA-1b can? If so that sounds like a really good option. If I find a single unit good enough, that opens up more options on the Stax side.

Sorry to hear about your Schiit. I really do feel it was a design flaw. It's a safety measure and simply very annoying to deal with.

And thanks, very very annoying. There had to have been a better way to engineer it.

Mar 27, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #3,636 of 7,885
I do want to be clear that I'm not saying the Sr1A bests the 009, it's just the first headphone for me that's clearly at the same level of performance or higher in some regards/areas that no other has been for me (openness, midrange, highs, vocals, details, imaging all at once). The 009 is also better than or at the same level as the Raal in some regards even with just the BHSE. I'm not sure I'll ever land on a single headphone as 'best', as I can clearly see pros and cons for both of these, as well as the TC and Susvara.

Only thing keeping me from the T2 is the price tag. I don't think I can justify having a $7k amp for conventional headphones, $5k amp for the Raal, and $10k amp for the Stax lol. That's actually what kept me away from the Raal so long, and here I am about to end up with the HSA-1b anyway. This hobby is ridiculous lol.

As for the uberamp mentioned, assuming it can also be used with conventional headphones, as the HSA-1b can? If so that sounds like a really good option. If I find a single unit good enough, that opens up more options on the Stax side.

And thanks, very very annoying. There had to have been a better way to engineer it.
TC is still bestesttt.

I'll try to get Kevin to work on a RAALSTAX. 1. It's gonna be costly. 2. It's gonna be big and ****ing heavy. :laughing:

uberamp can be configured any way you'd like. I would personally say no, I am not a fan of concessions. So limit them when possible. As well, there might only be 2-3 builders I would trust. Similar confidence as the T2. We saw how the circlotron, uh, did not work out.
:deadhorse:

Mar 27, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #3,637 of 7,885
TL;DR: Really enjoying the Raal, incredible wow factor and extremely impressive. I've had the 009 at the top of my list all time, and this is the first headphone I've tried that does some of the things it does best, considerably better & with cohesion. The TC has come close in that regard by matching or even besting the 009 in some technical areas, but the lack of cohesion/presence in the midrange has the 009 clearly ahead for me. The Susvara comes close to the 009 in almost all areas but doesn't match or surpass it (besides bass). For me, that's a really huge realization/experience to have, quite a big deal. The bass *is* lighter than most of the other TOTL cans, but is of high quality and once acclimated to the sound, sounds really good and fits in the spectrum really well. Also, will be looking to replace the Jot R immediately, just a really disappointing (distortion) experience overall with it. (FYI, to avoid the Jot R issues and impact, I have been either listening to songs at moderate volume or leaning towards music with less bass impact and punch to listen louder and more critically)

-------

Whenever I get a substantial new piece of gear, I hold off on major impressions or detailed opinions.. just because they typically develop and mature over time. Will generally do the same here, but I have to say.. I have a really good handle on the SR1a already. Mainly due to them being nearly exactly what I imagined in almost every regard. Having owned the AKG K1000 four times, I expected the Raal to function and sound like a more improved K1000--that is very much the case and it improves on some of the major issues the K1000 had. That said, it still has some imperfections/issues similar to the K1000. Just a couple quick, broad thoughts.. but keep in mind I absolutely expect the sound to improve with a better/sufficient amp) :

1. The Sr1a is top three imo when it comes to realism and wow factor, along with the TC and 009. It's just insane when it comes to the presentation of the music, extremely surreal.. once acclimated to the sound. I can easily identify the differences that stick out for each and can't wait to give it time to come with detailed elaboration on this.
2. Most speaker like headphone experience.. prior to this, I had the L3000 (intimate midrange/bass) and TC (technical ability/openness/bass) as kings in that regard.
3. As hinted at, you definitely need 20-30min to really adjust to the presentation.
4. Just like the K1000, all of the positioning can be a bit daunting to sort out, but there is one key positive difference. To my ears, the K1000 had a sweet spot.. they didn't sound great all the way closed in or all the way open. The Raal sounds really good in all positions.. but that makes it even more annoying lol because it means I'll be tinkering with it more based on the song/genre/mood at the time.
5. Incredibly good with acoustic music. Probably better than the 009 and I have never heard a headphone that does it better than the 009. That's a pretty big deal to me.
6. The bass although really high quality and very tight, definitely is on the lighter side and is just not great with music that has larger quantities of, or, moderately deep/really deep extending bass. This is partly due to the design and both headphones have an issue with it. Again, after more time I'll come back and elaborate. I also have an issue with the Jot R that contributes to this problem, but it isn't just that. Lastly, I can easily say that despite this, it's performance with acoustic, vocal (emphasis) heavy music is totally worth it and that in many cases the bass is sufficient enough.
7. It's not the fault of the Raal, poor recordings for the most part are unlistenable. This is not the case with any other headphone I have. It's a bit of a bummer. Some of my favorite reference tracks, even steamed via Tidal MQ are just unlistenable.

On to the Jot R.... I have to say I am incredibly disappointed in this amp. For starters, it cut off due to heat literally 40min into the very first session.. that has been a major issue ever since. This is in a cool, well ventilated room/setup (this amp wouldn't stand a chance in summer months). Whether using the WA33 as a preamp or not. Balanced or SE Dave. Onto the second and most glaring issue... distortion. The consistent distortion with this amp and the Raal is simply unacceptable. I do want to be clear, it's not an insane level or amount of distortion.. it's low level but is apparent with any song that isn't essentially void of deep bass impact--have to virtually avoid half of my music collection. Again, with the WA33 or not, or SE or Balanced Dave. It doesn't matter, just pretty bad in general. Some distortion, on some tracks, at higher volume.. with this headphone design is to be expected. I am very familiar as the K1000 has the same exact design challenges (just google K1000 distortion or buzzing). However, there is far more consistent distortion than I've ever experienced with the K1000. Couple things on this:

1. With the baffle switch set to off, it is much less of an issue.. but the SQ decreases very noticeably.
2. Baffle switch set to on, it's not an issue at all with music with minimal bass impact/punch
2. I've had tried virtually every volume setting between the WA33, Dave, and Jot R. SQ is even worse with just the Jot R. I've searched this thread and have tried every recommended setting or change. There's a bit less with some positions than others (WA33 @ 9-10 o'clock, Jot R @ noon for example) but still an issue
3. I could assume I have a defective unit, but the amount of consistent calling out on this issue when searching this thread suggests otherwise. Or, if it is, and all of the others also were then it suggests an even larger issue

In any event, I'm going to contact my dealer today. I'll be sending this back if possible and exchanging with an HSA1b asap. I have no desire to try another Jot R unit--at all. And again, can't wait to actually give more detailed impressions and comparisons regarding the K1000, 009, TC etc.

Just a heads up that I can use my Jot R for hours without issue...something seems off with the amplifier. That said, the HSA-1b is on a different plain of existence!

Mar 27, 2021 at 6:46 PM Post #3,638 of 7,885

Although I have not heard the 009(S), it has always be on my list of things to try/get sometime in the future as I listen to classical, jazz, acoustic, vocal-centric music and ambient electronic more than half the time. But I just didn't want to get a full-blown electrostatic system - not yet, at least. :relaxed: The SR1a seemed like the perfect alternative to add to my rig since I already had the TToby power amp to drive it with the interface. I asked Drew at Moon Audio if I should get the Jot R as well and he said I'd be better off using the TToby and that it'd be a wonderful setup. And it really is! I'm still marveling at the sound quality on a daily basis.

This being said, when I tried more bass-heavy genres such as EDM, modern pop, trip hop, etc. as well as earthy classic rock, blues, and oldies that weren't recorded to today's recording/engineering standards, I found that the SR1a isn't ideal. And as you mentioned, a good chunk of my library became unlistenable as well - low-end distortion on the bass-heavy stuff and too much granular detail (including all the unpleasant lo-fi artifacts of the old and bad recordings) for rock/blues and roots music. Even though, overall, I was loving the SR1a, it made me want the 1266 TC even more. After only two weeks with the SR1a, I ordered the TC.

I'm wondering if the TToby is a little underpowered to push the low frequencies with coherence and power for the bass-heavy genres but I'm not sure. With other genres that are ideal for the SR1a, I can get the volume way louder than my comfort level (80dB) without low frequency distortion. The bass is great - extremely clear, defined and punchy although it doesn't have the slam. But then, slam isn't what one expects out of the nuanced genres. So, for these, the SR1a is just sublime. Granted, I do EQ it slightly with some boost (no more than 3dB from about 80Hz to 20Hz) and attenuate a bit from 1kHz to 2.5kHz. With the bass-heavy stuff, I'd get the volume down to 70dB or even lower and I'd still hear the low-end distortion. I'd then have to flatten the EQ or use another EQ setting. It's rather touchy with bass-heavy genres so I decided I shouldn't bother and I'll let the 1266 TC and LCD-4 handle those.

I may still want to try a really powerful power amp (200W+) sometime down the road but I don't want to step down in quality from the TToby so that kind of amp will probably run $6K+. I'll wait for the digital amp that Chord is supposedly working on. Seems this amp will finally allow us HMS and TT2 owners to use the mysterious DX jacks and functions. It's funny and kind of ridiculous to be considering very powerful speaker amps for a headphone but the SR1a has beckoned that type of commitment from me. It's that good. Like the TC, I want - no, need - to realize its full potential and that means the search continues like with everything else with this crazy hobby. :darthsmile:

Mar 27, 2021 at 8:41 PM Post #3,639 of 7,885
Although I have not heard the 009(S), it has always be on my list of things to try/get sometime in the future as I listen to classical, jazz, acoustic, vocal-centric music and ambient electronic more than half the time. But I just didn't want to get a full-blown electrostatic system - not yet, at least. :relaxed: The SR1a seemed like the perfect alternative to add to my rig since I already had the TToby power amp to drive it with the interface. I asked Drew at Moon Audio if I should get the Jot R as well and he said I'd be better off using the TToby and that it'd be a wonderful setup. And it really is! I'm still marveling at the sound quality on a daily basis.

This being said, when I tried more bass-heavy genres such as EDM, modern pop, trip hop, etc. as well as earthy classic rock, blues, and oldies that weren't recorded to today's recording/engineering standards, I found that the SR1a isn't ideal. And as you mentioned, a good chunk of my library became unlistenable as well - low-end distortion on the bass-heavy stuff and too much granular detail (including all the unpleasant lo-fi artifacts of the old and bad recordings) for rock/blues and roots music. Even though, overall, I was loving the SR1a, it made me want the 1266 TC even more. After only two weeks with the SR1a, I ordered the TC.

I'm wondering if the TToby is a little underpowered to push the low frequencies with coherence and power for the bass-heavy genres but I'm not sure. With other genres that are ideal for the SR1a, I can get the volume way louder than my comfort level (80dB) without low frequency distortion. The bass is great - extremely clear, defined and punchy although it doesn't have the slam. But then, slam isn't what one expects out of the nuanced genres. So, for these, the SR1a is just sublime. Granted, I do EQ it slightly with some boost (no more than 3dB from about 80Hz to 20Hz) and attenuate a bit from 1kHz to 2.5kHz. With the bass-heavy stuff, I'd get the volume down to 70dB or even lower and I'd still hear the low-end distortion. I'd then have to flatten the EQ or use another EQ setting. It's rather touchy with bass-heavy genres so I decided I shouldn't bother and I'll let the 1266 TC and LCD-4 handle those.

I may still want to try a really powerful power amp (200W+) sometime down the road but I don't want to step down in quality from the TToby so that kind of amp will probably run $6K+. I'll wait for the digital amp that Chord is supposedly working on. Seems this amp will finally allow us HMS and TT2 owners to use the mysterious DX jacks and functions. It's funny and kind of ridiculous to be considering very powerful speaker amps for a headphone but the SR1a has beckoned that type of commitment from me. It's that good. Like the TC, I want - no, need - to realize its full potential and that means the search continues like with everything else with this crazy hobby. :darthsmile:
I too have recently had the urge to try an electrostatic. I had the Koss ESP-95x, but it just doesn’t compare to my other headphones (which makes sense as it only cost like $450). I’ve been thinking of the LTA-Z10e and SR-009s combo from Linear Tube Audio. The Z10e can also drive normal headphones too.

I’m curious about your TToby. Have you tried Susvaras out of TToby yet? If so, how does it compare to other amps?

Mar 27, 2021 at 10:55 PM Post #3,640 of 7,885
I too have recently had the urge to try an electrostatic. I had the Koss ESP-95x, but it just doesn’t compare to my other headphones (which makes sense as it only cost like $450). I’ve been thinking of the LTA-Z10e and SR-009s combo from Linear Tube Audio. The Z10e can also drive normal headphones too.

I’m curious about your TToby. Have you tried Susvaras out of TToby yet? If so, how does it compare to other amps?
Yeah, that electrostatic world is enticing. I have photos of the SR-009S and the HeadAmp BHSE downloaded as an exotic vacation destination to look forward to. :wink:

I didn't get to try the Susvara through the TToby. I had the Susvara along with some Pass Labs amp (can't remember the model) on loan before I got the TToby. I wish I could have tried the TToby with the Susvara. The Susvara is amazing, for sure, but I decided the TC will suit better suit my taste for bass-heavy music like EDM, hip hop, modern prog/technical metal and stuff like that. As I mentioned, I can't afford two superstars - yet. Always that disclaimer: yet... :relaxed:

The TToby is so good. I mentioned that I wasn't looking to get something so good for two channel listening with the Buchardt S400 since I prefer HP listening but it ended up being a fortuitous acquisition to drive the SR1a and, soon, the TC. I will have to borrow the Susvara again to try it out with the TToby but my friend is not exactly close by and, now that he's back home, I don't think he'll want to send it over to me for any extended period of time.

I'm definitely no expert on speaker amps but, comparing it to the Parasound 21+ I had for a few weeks, it is so much clearer but it also has this hard-to-define "musicality" about it. It's very neutral but has some gutsy type of driving character with superb balance from top to bottom. When I'm listening with the SR1a, I definitely hear what the TToby is contributing to the overall sound. It's not at all like what I hear with the LCD-4 through the TT2. When I'm listening to the SR1a, the TToby is the amp I'm hearing, not the TT2. The TT2 is is the DAC and preamp but TToby is the main driving sound and I absolutely love what I'm hearing.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2021 at 12:29 AM Post #3,641 of 7,885
Just a heads up that I can use my Jot R for hours without issue...something seems off with the amplifier. That said, the HSA-1b is on a different plain of existence!

Agreed. I'm fairly confident that that Jot R is either totally or intermittently defective, atleast sound-wise. It takes a laughable amount of digital EQ and volume to get the SR1a to hit its driver excursion limit. That's as far as I've heard it "distort". If someone's hearing typical distortion at half-listenable volumes, there's something wrong for sure.

The TToby might be underpowered. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. 100w RMS/ch into 4ohms so I'm guessing 50w RMS into 8ohms. RAAL advises to use an amp capable of 100w into 8ohms (not sure if RMS or peak).

With the EQ you're setting, I get no bass distortion at any listenable volume regardless of amp.

Mar 28, 2021 at 12:51 AM Post #3,642 of 7,885

-------

The HSA-1B is great with the SR1a and so are many 2 channel amps. Instead of tube rolling I am amp rolling for the SR1a.

Mar 28, 2021 at 12:52 AM Post #3,643 of 7,885
Agreed. I'm fairly confident that that Jot R is either totally or intermittently defective, atleast sound-wise. It takes a laughable amount of digital EQ and volume to get the SR1a to hit its driver excursion limit. That's as far as I've heard it "distort". If someone's hearing typical distortion at half-listenable volumes, there's something wrong for sure.

The TToby might be underpowered. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. 100w RMS/ch into 4ohms so I'm guessing 50w RMS into 8ohms. RAAL advises to use an amp capable of 100w into 8ohms (not sure if RMS or peak).

With the EQ you're setting, I get no bass distortion at any listenable volume regardless of amp.
My understanding was 150w RMS/ch into 4 ohms so the TToby is underpowered but it's absolutely great for most genres I listen to. I'll eventually add a fairly powerful power amp eventually - 200w RMS/ch minimum. Torq at headphones.com mentioned that the Chord Etude was the best amongst his sizable collection of amps for the SR1a. I wish I had another 50w per channel but, oh well... It gets plenty loud (more than what I'd normally listen at) with no distortion at all for the majority of the stuff I listen to.

Mar 28, 2021 at 1:05 AM Post #3,644 of 7,885

I would think that TToby is under powering the SR1a. I noticed an improvement when I went from 1 AHB2 (100 watts at 8 Ohm) to 2 AHB2 close to 400 watts at 8 Ohm. Though the AHB2 is not what I would recommend with the SR1a. Just wanted to illustrate that effect of more power.

I tried the following 2 integrated amps with both a Benchmark DAC3B and also a tube DAC, a KRELL K-300i and a CODA CSiB. The DAC3B was very good with the 2 integrated amps but the tube DAC was incredible with the SR1a. Those 2 amps are now sold or used in another room. Both amps had 150 at 8 and 300 at 4. They also had the first 90 watts and first 18 watts in Class A. The KRELL also had some huge bass.

My next amp I am rolling is the $1500 Class D D-Sonic M3A-800s
https://www.d-sonic.com/product/m3a-800s-stereo-amplifier/

This amp was recommended to me and also mentioned on a audio thread I was following. Going to see if the massive power on this amp and warm sound does magic with the SR1a.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2021 at 2:02 AM Post #3,645 of 7,885
I would think that TToby is under powering the SR1a. I noticed an improvement when I went from 1 AHB2 (100 watts at 8 Ohm) to 2 AHB2 close to 400 watts at 8 Ohm. Though the AHB2 is not what I would recommend with the SR1a. Just wanted to illustrate that effect of more power.

I tried the following 2 integrated amps with both a Benchmark DAC3B and also a tube DAC, a KRELL K-300i and a CODA CSiB. The DAC3B was very good with the 2 integrated amps but the tube DAC was incredible with the SR1a. Those 2 amps are now sold or used in another room. Both amps had 150 at 8 and 300 at 4. They also had the first 90 watts and first 18 watts in Class A. The KRELL also had some huge bass.

My next amp I am rolling is the $1500 Class D D-Sonic M3A-800s
https://www.d-sonic.com/product/m3a-800s-stereo-amplifier/

This amp was recommended to me and also mentioned on a audio thread I was following. Going to see if the massive power on this amp and warm sound does magic with the SR1a.
Man, tube rolling is something I can imagine doing down the line but amp rolling seems way out of my budget anytime soon! :L3000:

I'm listening to Meshuggah's 'Obzen' right now through the SR1a at around 85~87dB level and no low-end issues at all. I also pulled the drivers in to around 10~15 degree angle instead of the normal 30 degree angle I use and I'm now getting a very tight and focused bass. It also makes a big difference to pull the SR1a back more closer to the ears. This is actually the first time I'm listening to modern metal with the SR1a and, man, it's an intense experience. Strange how I'm having no bass issues at all with this but I have it with certain electronic music low frequencies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back