Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Jan 2, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #3,286 of 7,847
Yes, but this amp has special compensation for Raal etc. so you will have some sound, but probably not very good one, especially with K1000 as max from it is 5V.

There's a switch on the front-panel that turns that compensation off - so you get a straight neutral result.

It was originally there in anticipation of potential circumaural ribbon-driver headphones, which wouldn't need the step-baffle compensation (same thing with the RAAL amplifiers), but it works the same way for conventional headphones too.

That said, I would probably just add a Jotunheim 2, rather than run an adapter from the Jotunheim R.

Jan 2, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #3,287 of 7,847
You're right, I just wanted to do an experiment and make sure it wouldn't destroy the JotR or K1000, in any case, still looking for amplification for the K1000.
after I received my hsa-1b and used my conventional HP's with the adapter ...abyss, susvara.....I decided to try the same with the jotr with the same adapter...it works although not as well as the 1B

Jan 2, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #3,288 of 7,847
I just did a audio gear test that I never really do since you need revealing gear to do it. That is try different power cords with the HSA-1b. I won't get into which models I tried but I will say it was easy to hear differences in power cords with the HSA-1b and SR1a. Luckily for me a 20 year old cord that I never noticed as benefitting other gear shows up on the HSA-1b with more bass, louder, and a bigger sound. It does not matter what this cable is, I am sure similar results can be found with other cables. I am just pointing out that this is the first time I was able to notice a difference with power cords.

The SR1a is not as comfortable as the Meze Empy and is gouging into my bald head, maybe I need some adjustment or not listen for so long. However, I will be buying the SR1a (maybe soon) and the HSA-1b later in the year after I buy a warmer DAC. I am thinking the Halo Audio May KTE would be a good match with the SR1a.

It was my experience with tube rolling as well that the SR1a are extremely revealing. Tubes that didn't make much of an impression with my Elears turn out to be great with the SR1a.

Jan 2, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #3,289 of 7,847
the sr1a expose everything quite brutally...recordings,amps, dacs, cables etc...it is the most revealing HP I have ever heard

Jan 2, 2021 at 6:41 PM Post #3,290 of 7,847
Yes, but this amp has special compensation for Raal etc. so you will have some sound, but probably not very good one, especially with K1000 as max from it is 5V.
You're right, I just wanted to do an experiment and make sure it wouldn't destroy the JotR or K1000, in any case, still looking for amplification for the K1000.
I have the AKG K1000,
5 Volt max isn’t that bad if you want to preserve your hearing.

I’m using the RME ADI-2 Pro for a significant bass boost and some reduction around 2 kHz:
+12dB, 58Hz, Q:0.8, Shelving
-5.5dB, 2,0kHz, Q:1.2, Peak

From ADI-2 Pro I drive K1000 either directly, or through an AKG / SAC K1000 Amplifier clone.
The K1000 Amplifier has an output impedance of 30 Ohms, that is and makes the main difference, optimum suited to the K1000.

Else it’s built around the famous ‘“audio workhorse“ NE5534 OPA, the chip almost every recording in the world has run through at least once.
It’s got a warm and clean sound that fits the K1000 well.

I even can drive the K1000 out of a Qudelix 5K balanced (4 Volt max.) for “mobile” use.
With the same EQ, still sufficiently loud for me.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2021 at 8:00 PM Post #3,292 of 7,847
it is a hell of a setup, perhaps the best there is currently!

Jan 4, 2021 at 12:01 AM Post #3,293 of 7,847
The hsa1b + Raal is really tempting. That review by Torq was amazing.

I found the jotR + Raal so detailed, revealing, transparent, clear, sharp etc etc, but I couldn't find myself relaxing and enjoying the music. I felt quite on edge and worrying about sibilance most of the time.

Does the hsa1b offer a more "relaxed" and less clinically accurate sound over the jotR? I do find myself gravitating to tubes over SS.. So for that kind presentation preference, perhaps I shouldn't bother with the Raal?

Jan 4, 2021 at 12:06 AM Post #3,294 of 7,847
I am doing some quick comparison with the Meze Empy and the HSA-1b and Benchmark HPA4. Nothing too accurate but the HSA-1b does seem a bit warmer than the HPA4. Since the Empy is already a relaxed sound I decided to listen with the HPA4. Why am I not listening with the SR1a when I have limited time with them? I am doing some tax preparation and need to concentrate. I am finding I cannot concentrate when I have the SR1a and HPA-1b. I am stopping my work and listening. Now I need to ignore these Head-fi notifications.

Jan 4, 2021 at 12:10 AM Post #3,295 of 7,847
The hsa1b + Raal is really tempting. That review by Torq was amazing.

I found the jotR + Raal so detailed, revealing, transparent, clear, sharp etc etc, but I couldn't find myself relaxing and enjoying the music. I felt quite on edge and worrying about sibilance most of the time.

Does the hsa1b offer a more "relaxed" and less clinically accurate sound over the jotR? I do find myself gravitating to tubes over SS.. So for that kind presentation preference, perhaps I shouldn't bother with the Raal?
Luckily you can use your wa33 as a preamp. I run my SR1as and JotR that way, and it really helps out.

Jan 4, 2021 at 12:29 AM Post #3,296 of 7,847
Luckily you can use your wa33 as a preamp. I run my SR1as and JotR that way, and it really helps out.

Oh thanks for that suggestion. I am trying it right now and you're right, it does take a lot of edge away. What positions are your volume knobs at for the wa33 and jotR?

Jan 4, 2021 at 12:54 AM Post #3,297 of 7,847
Oh thanks for that suggestion. I am trying it right now and you're right, it does take a lot of edge away. What positions are your volume knobs at for the wa33 and jotR?
10 o’clock on the wa33 or less. Any more and you will overdrive the JotR. Then the JotR is like anywhere from 10-12 (depending on the song).

Jan 4, 2021 at 12:57 AM Post #3,298 of 7,847
10 o’clock on the wa33 or less. Any more and you will overdrive the JotR. Then the JotR is like anywhere from 10-12 (depending on the song).

OK that is weird. . I have my wa33 at 12 and jotR at 3 o'clock. And i can still turn the knob some more if I want to. If I use your settings (wa33 10 and jotR 10-12), volume is super low..

*edit oh nmind.. My dac volume is lowered to about 70.. That probably explains it.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2021 at 1:00 AM Post #3,299 of 7,847
OK that is weird. . I have my wa33 at 12 and jotR at 3 o'clock. And i can still turn the knob some more if I want to. If I use your settings (wa33 10 and jotR 10-12), volume is super low..
Funny you say that. I had the exact same locations in the beginning and it overdrives the JotR on hip-hop songs. I thought it was just inherent that the JotR would clip on some songs, but that isn’t the case (after somebody explained it to me). If you’re not listening to hip-hop or edm or something, you won’t have clipping.

Edit: Saw your edit. That makes sense.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2021 at 1:02 AM Post #3,300 of 7,847
Funny you say that. I had the exact same locations in the beginning and it overdrives the JotR on hip-hop songs. I thought it was just inherent that the JotR would clip on some songs, but that isn’t the case (after somebody explained it to me). If you’re not listening to hip-hop or edm or something, you won’t have clipping.

It just clipped on a super bass heavy song. Audible distortion on strong bass notes. Had to turn the volume knob down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back