Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Jan 1, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #3,271 of 7,885
Jan 1, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #3,272 of 7,885
Jan 1, 2021 at 8:23 PM Post #3,274 of 7,885
Jan 1, 2021 at 8:50 PM Post #3,275 of 7,885
Jan 1, 2021 at 10:02 PM Post #3,276 of 7,885
I just did a audio gear test that I never really do since you need revealing gear to do it. That is try different power cords with the HSA-1b. I won't get into which models I tried but I will say it was easy to hear differences in power cords with the HSA-1b and SR1a. Luckily for me a 20 year old cord that I never noticed as benefitting other gear shows up on the HSA-1b with more bass, louder, and a bigger sound. It does not matter what this cable is, I am sure similar results can be found with other cables. I am just pointing out that this is the first time I was able to notice a difference with power cords.

The SR1a is not as comfortable as the Meze Empy and is gouging into my bald head, maybe I need some adjustment or not listen for so long. However, I will be buying the SR1a (maybe soon) and the HSA-1b later in the year after I buy a warmer DAC. I am thinking the Halo Audio May KTE would be a good match with the SR1a.

Jan 2, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #3,278 of 7,885
Hello, I am new here, but I have been following headfi discussions for many years and especially this rich discussion about the glorious Raal SR1a. I come from the world of electrostatics, (BHSE + SR-009 / SR-007 MKI), happy to live there for many years, until one day the legendary AKG K1000 knocked on my door, it was a revelation. Since then, I am totally convinced that the way in which this design presents music in space is the only possible one, for those who listen exclusively to classical music recordings. With the introduction of the Raal SR1a (and mySphere), as everyone knows, this special type of presentation was raised to a very high level and yet, I still consider the AKG K1000 one of the best creations ever made in the history of headphones and my question is precisely about it. Is it possible, regardless of the higher or lower quality of the final result, to connect the AKG K1000 to the Jotunheim R (with adapter, of course) without risk for both devices? Since the SR1a + Jotunheim R combo arrived, I've been wanting to do this experiment, I read that this is possible and it even works very well with the Abyss 1266.

Thanks,

Sandro

Jan 2, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #3,279 of 7,885
Last night, I watched the youtube video on making adjustments to the SR1a to fit better. I did none of those things since this is a demo pair, but I will make adjustments once I buy my own.

I also opened up the HSA-1b to make the adjustment to the attenuation to 0db from -10 db (read the review linked above). So i was able to see the power supply. It looks bigger than the PS on my Benchmark HPA4, which I also opened up at one time. The HPA4 is one of the best 2 channel preamps in the world and also a headphone amp that I like a lot.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #3,280 of 7,885
... my question is precisely about it. Is it possible, regardless of the higher or lower quality of the final result, to connect the AKG K1000 to the Jotunheim R (with adapter, of course) without risk for both devices? Since the SR1a + Jotunheim R combo arrived, I've been wanting to do this experiment, I read that this is possible and it even works very well with the Abyss 1266.
It’s possible, nothing will break.
Schiit mentions this on their website, not exactly for the K1000, but in general.

For “normal” loudness demands level will be sufficient.
Peak level will be about 97 dBSPL.
With dedicated amplification the AKG K1000 can do about 10dB more.

Jan 2, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #3,281 of 7,885
Schiit mentions this on their website, not exactly for the K1000, but in general.

thank you very much for your help, KaiSc, I'll look for an adapter for this purpose.

Jan 2, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #3,282 of 7,885

Where you have it on Schiit website? It is only for Raal SRH1A.

Jan 2, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #3,283 of 7,885
Where you have it on Schiit website? It is only for Raal SRH1A.

"Can I make an adapter to connect this to other headphones?
If you're talking 4-pin to 4-pin, sure, maybe. This amp only puts out about 5V RMS, so you're looking at only 780mW into 32 ohms and like 83mW into 300 ohms. And you have to swap phase. The Raal pinout is different than the standard 4-pin headphone pinout. Try to convert it to TRS, and all you're gonna hear is "click," when it runs into the protection."

https://www.schiit.com/products/jotunheim-r (FAQ)

Jan 2, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #3,285 of 7,885
Yes, but this amp has special compensation for Raal etc. so you will have some sound, but probably not very good one, especially with K1000 as max from it is 5V.

You're right, I just wanted to do an experiment and make sure it wouldn't destroy the JotR or K1000, in any case, still looking for amplification for the K1000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back