Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Sep 8, 2020 at 10:13 PM Post #2,626 of 7,847
Listening to one of my favourite albums of all time, DSoTM by Pink Floyd on Qobuz with these amazing headphones (and Jot R + Chord DAVE) and I am floored with the experience...so fast, vast, and transparent. Kinda halfway between a headphone and speaker presentation! Just loving the experience!

Sep 8, 2020 at 10:33 PM Post #2,627 of 7,847
I just listened to that album(CD rip) on my SR1A's this weekend. Truly a moving experience.

Sep 9, 2020 at 5:53 PM Post #2,629 of 7,847
ok, so I have an issue and I know there are people on here far more informed about the product than I am so here goes....I am now on my third Jotr to go with my SR1a....the first 2 had a problem where I was hearing an awful distortion in the right channel of my first amp...in both channels in the second amp and in the left channel of my third which I received today...danny has been remarkably helpful thus far but it occured to me that it is hard to believe 3 amps could have the same issue like this....in the case of the first amp it took a few weeks for the problem to occur, in the case of the second amp it took a couple of days and in the case of the third I heard it immediately...most likely because I now know exactly what I am listening for...in any event there arent many settings to change on the amp so I decided to turn the baffle compensation off and as soon as I did the distortion disappeared and in fact to my ears it sounds better...bigger soundstage and more depth but maybe I am imagining that part...all I do know is I do not understand it and am trying to find an answer to this dilemma...I did send an e-mail to schiit to see if they have an explanation but thought I would throw it out to people here for some thoughts and help...thanks ahead of time

Sep 9, 2020 at 6:12 PM Post #2,630 of 7,847
I've not experienced any issue like that and I believe I have one of the earlier "R" builds.

Sep 9, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #2,631 of 7,847
it is a mystery to me

Sep 9, 2020 at 6:21 PM Post #2,632 of 7,847
I'm sure it is, and frustrating too.

Sep 9, 2020 at 6:23 PM Post #2,633 of 7,847
No issues with mine either. I have used the RCA and XLR inputs from a Yggdrasil. Never messed with the bafle switch. Might try it now just to see how it sounds.

Sep 9, 2020 at 6:35 PM Post #2,634 of 7,847
the irony is not only do I not have the distortion with the baffle switch off but I think it actually sounds better but perhaps that is psycho sematic

Sep 9, 2020 at 8:29 PM Post #2,635 of 7,847
I'm going to check it out tonight after work. If I like it better, we can be crazy together. Or psycho minus the sematic. :jecklinsmile:

Sep 9, 2020 at 8:40 PM Post #2,636 of 7,847
I am curious what you think?....

Sep 9, 2020 at 8:51 PM Post #2,637 of 7,847
I had no issues with Jot R when I had one (it was part of the first available batch).

Turning the baffle compensation off on both the Jot R and HSA-1a elevates the treble which makes the SR1a sound extremely bright to my ears. That can be perceived as an increase in resolution and possibly better sound stage (maybe?). The purpose of the baffle compensation is to compensate for the cupless / open design of SR1a to bring up the low-end of the frequency response so turning it off might make the bass “disappear”.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2020 at 9:50 PM Post #2,638 of 7,847
interesting, well when I turned it on using 3 different amps I got very bad distortion at certain parts of songs...with it off I get no such distortion and I do not hear any loss of bass.....

Sep 9, 2020 at 10:04 PM Post #2,639 of 7,847
interesting, well when I turned it on using 3 different amps I got very bad distortion at certain parts of songs...with it off I get no such distortion and I do not hear any loss of bass.....
Very interesting is the fact that you don’t perceive a loss in bass with the baffle compensation off. You might have a revised version of the Jot R...even the Jot R manual recommends to turn the baffle compensation ON when using the SR1a and OFF for circumaural headphones, so as the HSA-1a manual.

As for the distortion you hear, after 3 occurrences with 3 different amps, it’s hard not to fault the SR1a (might want to try another set of cans) or you’ve been extremely unlucky to have received 2 faulty replacement units. Do you have a speaker amp at the house? If yes, try the SR1a using the interface box with a speaker amp and listen to the same tracks that you spotted the distortion to rule out the SR1a.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back