Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Sep 4, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #2,611 of 7,883
Have you happened to have heard the AKG K1000 before? I have a vintage pair and from what it sounds like (not just this post either), the Raal is pretty similar? I'm sure they're better, just not sure if I need to grab a pair if they are.
I have an AKG K1000 bass heavy pair. Honestly, the SR1A is really a generational improvement in every way. Of course, it is pricey. But on the flip side, if you don't ever audition the SR1A, the K1000 is still a very nice listen.

Sep 4, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #2,612 of 7,883
I have an AKG K1000 bass heavy pair. Honestly, the SR1A is really a generational improvement in every way. Of course, it is pricey. But on the flip side, if you don't ever audition the SR1A, the K1000 is still a very nice listen.

That's what I was expecting given the years of technology advance. Thank you, this is helpful. And is the bass response much better? Again, appreciate it.

Sep 4, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #2,613 of 7,883
That's what I was expecting given the years of technology advance. Thank you, this is helpful. And is the bass response much better? Again, appreciate it.
The bass response is tighter and lower, but of course, does not go as low as for instance my Susvara, TC or LCD4. Extremely bass heavy music does not do well with the S1RA. With that kind of music, if you have EQ, you may just want to cut it all out below 30hz or something...or at least decrease the volume.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2020 at 7:42 PM Post #2,614 of 7,883
Have you happened to have heard the AKG K1000 before? I have a vintage pair and from what it sounds like (not just this post either), the Raal is pretty similar? I'm sure they're better, just not sure if I need to grab a pair if they are.

I had a bass-heavy pair of K1000s for more than a year and later had them rewired with an upgraded cable. Overall, I enjoyed them. The RAALs have a larger more holographic soundstage, more detail, greater dynamics, faster transients, and better bass extension for sure. The only thing I preferred on the K1000s was the tone, it was less amp-dependent.
Two different generations of headphones, and it's easy to tell.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #2,615 of 7,883
I have tried these a few times, but each time I quickly developed a headache due to the pressure from the pads on my temples. I must be sensitive to that. As a result I could not really get into them. Does anyone else have a similar experience?

Sep 8, 2020 at 9:23 AM Post #2,616 of 7,883
I have tried these a few times, but each time I quickly developed a headache due to the pressure from the pads on my temples. I must be sensitive to that. As a result I could not really get into them. Does anyone else have a similar experience?
my sensitivity is more with the side pads but I have adjusted to them now after wearing them for a few weeks.

These have ruined me for many other headphones they are so transparent, accurate and fast fast fast. I do recommend a tube power amp or a warmish SS amp to showcase their potential. The Jot is great for what it is but my feelings are it is maybe 70% of the experience that you can get with a great power amp. I do believe we'll see amps that are made for these in the mid term future

Sep 8, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #2,617 of 7,883
You are not wearing them correctly.As a result, both comfort & sound takes a big hit. I had the same problem. Contact customer support. They will help you out.

Sep 8, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #2,618 of 7,883
Maybe the pads are too high or too low on your head...try adjusting vertically. Otherwise, you can bend the headband out a little to ease pressure on the sides of the head.

Sep 8, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #2,620 of 7,883
If a headphone amp has got pre-amp feature, can it be linked with Jotunheim R? I mean can't see why not. Did anyone try that kind of a combo? I wonder how JR works with a valve head amp as a pre
Yup, definitely. A tube preamp matches well with the JotR and the SR1as. I run my JotR with a Woo Audio WA33 preamp, and it helps with bass.

Sep 8, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #2,621 of 7,883
I tried using my WA33 as a pre amp to the JotR. Added some nice warmth to the Raal. I just went conservative on the volume of the WA33, like around 10 o'clock. So as not to over-drive the JOtR. As another member suggested.

Sep 8, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #2,623 of 7,883
great ! also, a headphone cable may help as well. I know how Dana lazuli reference helps get more body, more bass slam with HEKSE. BTW, what is the cable connector on SR1a? on pictures, it looks as if it was the same that it is used on new HiFIMAN models (3,5 mm).

Sep 8, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #2,624 of 7,883
great ! also, a headphone cable may help as well. I know how Dana lazuli reference helps get more body, more bass slam with HEKSE. BTW, what is the cable connector on SR1a? on pictures, it looks as if it was the same that it is used on new HiFIMAN models (3,5 mm).
It’s a very nonstandard cable. The connector on the earcups is a 3.5mm, but the other end is a 4-pin XLR female connector just so you can’t plug it into a normal amp. The cable impedance is also very important since the headphones themselves have almost no impedance. Cable + headphones shouldn’t exceed .2 ohms for normal operation.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #2,625 of 7,883
I think it may be difficult to ensure a cable meets the resistance requirements. Very pedestrian looking stock cable, but seems to be decent quality. I'm just sticking with stock for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back