Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Mar 12, 2019 at 10:21 PM Post #316 of 7,871
Yes, you can pry out the grille and take out the old foam and insert the new one. Black foam is not glued, just put in place, so taking it in and out is trouble-free.
The greatest enemy of polyurethane is UV radiation so in an effort to prolong its life, we chemically dyed it black. Hopefully, this will block the UV to a certain degree. i don't know for how much, but it'll do at least some blocking. Also, it is stationary, no flexing or carrying weight, so it should live for a long time.
The dye bonds itself to the polyurethane in a very thin layer and the reaction stops when the whole surface of the foam is covered, as the dye doesn't bond to itself, just to the remaining exposed foam. This happens throughout the foam volume, so when you cut it, it's colored in the middle, as well.
We use this method to get that rich Requisite-red color for the cushions, as you can't buy Memory-foam in any colors and we really wanted that Requisite-red. Actually, you can't buy even a regular polyurethane foam this dark black, also. It's always dark-gray rather than truly black, so that was another problem to solve...

Now I want my "first audiophile owner" special version of the SR1A's with a Requisite-red foam grill and red painted headband frame :)

Mar 12, 2019 at 10:34 PM Post #317 of 7,871
I am wondering if the owners can do mods to this already modular headphone?

I was thinking making and installing leather cushions on the side. Soft comfortable leather pads
pdsbridlecomfort.jpg

Maybe even
Dekoni Audio Nuggets on the part where it rest on your temple.
EPZ-NUGGETZ-MAIN-150x150.jpg

Mar 12, 2019 at 10:56 PM Post #318 of 7,871
Sadly it still took soo long and hard to get proper pictures of these things lol. Thanks for other in trying. But.....

Now here is finally the picture i wanted for a while lol.

From this side. I knew it. I can somewhat install a custom Stax lambdas earpads on this. Also wondering if it is the same sides as the L700. Rectangle shape?

Dekoni nuggets maybe it al its needs. or a custom lambdas pad

FB_IMG_1540143845806.jpg.9c762f7b654e5a2bb187fdd8d4bad372.jpg

Mar 14, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #322 of 7,871
Mar 14, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #323 of 7,871
50 watts is a pretty big gap between the recommended 150 watts. Unless your amp goes into class A/B after 50 & is able to put out more than a 100+ watts in total.

Assuming those are the correct ratings, what's that 4.7 db? I don't listen loud, I bet 50 wpc would work for me. There are people running the HE-6 on 250 wpc and find that to be lacking. Only way to know is test it.

Mar 14, 2019 at 5:09 PM Post #324 of 7,871
Assuming those are the correct ratings, what's that 4.7 db? I don't listen loud, I bet 50 wpc would work for me. There are people running the HE-6 on 250 wpc and find that to be lacking. Only way to know is test it.

It's not about loudness but the quantity of bass and the ability of the amp to quickly ramp up power - 50 wpc will probably be loud enough, but you'll run out of excursion and the amp will probably be quite lacking in dynamics. Tubes are a bit better but 50 watts is just not a lot of power when these headphones are concerned.

As I mentioned in my review, the 100w requirement is not a guideline like the 8wpc of the K1000. It's basically saying that if you can't hit this level, your experience with these headphones will be subpar.

Mar 14, 2019 at 6:13 PM Post #325 of 7,871
It's not about loudness but the quantity of bass and the ability of the amp to quickly ramp up power - 50 wpc will probably be loud enough, but you'll run out of excursion and the amp will probably be quite lacking in dynamics. Tubes are a bit better but 50 watts is just not a lot of power when these headphones are concerned.

As I mentioned in my review, the 100w requirement is not a guideline like the 8wpc of the K1000. It's basically saying that if you can't hit this level, your experience with these headphones will be subpar.

Glad I gave you the chance to set that straight.

Owned my first ribbon tweeter (Panasonic) in 1981, quite a few since. Hope this technology takes off in headphones because it's proven in speakers.

Mar 14, 2019 at 6:56 PM Post #326 of 7,871
Glad I gave you the chance to set that straight.

Owned my first ribbon tweeter (Panasonic) in 1981, quite a few since. Hope this technology takes off in headphones because it's proven in speakers.

If you have the Rag - the Rag is actually okay for those, just barely powerful enough but it'll work.

I am in Boston, so if you're willing to drive to downtown, I'd be happy to let you try out my pair. You could probably bring over the Rag too.

Mar 14, 2019 at 8:14 PM Post #327 of 7,871
@bagwell359

Yes, please bring over the Ragnarok to his house if you decided to go! This will be great for people that will being buying the Ragnarok 2 as a 1 system do it all machine.

Mar 14, 2019 at 8:19 PM Post #328 of 7,871
@protoss

FYI I tested the Rag 1 with the SR1A's at Canjam NYC - for me it was okay, enough power but not the most inspiring combo. Then again, I'm not sure if you can do much better with a speaker amp that's as cheap as a used Rag 1.

The Rag was at least better than the NAD C368, and maybe also a bit more resolving than the Hegel Rost - hard to tell under showroom conditions, though.

Mar 14, 2019 at 8:30 PM Post #329 of 7,871
If you have the Rag - the Rag is actually okay for those, just barely powerful enough but it'll work.

I am in Boston, so if you're willing to drive to downtown, I'd be happy to let you try out my pair. You could probably bring over the Rag too.

Very interesting, I'll move over to PM...

Mar 14, 2019 at 8:31 PM Post #330 of 7,871
@Zhanming057

That sounds like good news to me! Better than the Rost and Nad! If Rag 2 improves a bit on the internals and is more efficient. Than this is a win win for everyone.

The biggest downside about the Sr1a was the speaker amps pairings! If a Ragnarok 2 intergrated headphone amplifer could power the Sr1a, than this is a win for the Sr1a!!

A huge win! I am keeping my fingers cross!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Axel
Back