Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Apr 28, 2019 at 5:44 PM Post #946 of 7,885
Very interested in these, so much so that I read all 63 pages of the forum, ha! Guess I really appreciate speed/resolution as far as accurate sound reproduction goes... probably the reason I own and love an 009 and Salk HT1 (with RAAL tweeter).

As far as amps go, it seems like any of the good solid state amps that could push high current and are stable at lower loads (for something like Martin Logans) would do the trick, right? I picked the McCormack amp in my sig for under a grand, btw...(200 wpc, 40A max, stable into 1-2ohms) hoping this would work well. If not, could someone let me know why.

Anyhow, thanks to all for your insights on these. If anyone has a clue as to how I might get a listen in Atlanta, GA please PM me!
So is there any consensus on which speaker amp will be the best pairing for BOTH Susvara AND SR1a. My ultimate game plan is to get the amp first then both Susvara and SR1a and return the one I don’t want to keep. Is there anyone in the New York City area with both headphones and their endgame speaker amp setup that would be kind enough to give an audition??

Apr 28, 2019 at 5:54 PM Post #947 of 7,885
So is there any consensus on which speaker amp will be the best pairing for BOTH Susvara AND SR1a. My ultimate game plan is to get the amp first then both Susvara and SR1a and return the one I don’t want to keep. Is there anyone in the New York City area with both headphones and their endgame speaker amp setup that would be kind enough to give an audition??
Mmm, funny you should ask, as the SR1a and Susvara on speaker amps are my current speciality. And I'm in NYC. PM me :D

Apr 28, 2019 at 9:43 PM Post #948 of 7,885
Finally my SR1a arrived last week. The Pelican box is really heavy and my first feeling was the burning smell. It is very similar to bursting capacitor.

I tested the headphone in my friend's system (my integrated amp will arrive in 2-3 weeks), Audio Note pre-amp and push-pull tube mono-block power amp with 40w+ output. I was impressed by its speed and sound stage. Its character is completed different from my STAX 009s or 007. STAX is elegant and polite, and is forgiving to bad recording. SR1a is honest to all the recordings.

The headphone took only 1.5 hours to run-in and was already performed pretty well. No regret in this purchase.

Apr 28, 2019 at 9:55 PM Post #949 of 7,885
Finally my SR1a arrived last week. The Pelican box is really heavy and my first feeling was the burning smell. It is very similar to bursting capacitor.

I tested the headphone in my friend's system (my integrated amp will arrive in 2-3 weeks), Audio Note pre-amp and push-pull tube mono-block power amp with 40w+ output. I was impressed by its speed and sound stage. Its character is completed different from my STAX 009s or 007. STAX is elegant and polite, and is forgiving to bad recording. SR1a is honest to all the recordings.

The headphone took only 1.5 hours to run-in and was already performed pretty well. No regret in this purchase.

You might want to give it a bit more time. Alex quoted something like 30-40 hours for the driver to fully settle into the fundamental frequency. Push pull will also slow down the response speed so if you have a solid state amp coming in, it should be even faster.

Apr 28, 2019 at 11:19 PM Post #950 of 7,885
I tested the headphone in my friend's system (my integrated amp will arrive in 2-3 weeks), Audio Note pre-amp and push-pull tube mono-block power amp with 40w+ output.

Interesting. So my mono block aegirs (80w) should do just fine as well. I think

Apr 29, 2019 at 11:03 AM Post #955 of 7,885
Apr 29, 2019 at 11:25 AM Post #956 of 7,885
Apr 29, 2019 at 3:13 PM Post #958 of 7,885
Okay, Bread cough, cough, Complainmaster lol.
Hey man, sorry that i have such high standards.:rolling_eyes:

I guess im just used to Stax and Sennheiser's stringent quality control. :stuck_out_tongue:

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #959 of 7,885

I guess im just used to Stax and Sennheiser's stringent quality control. :stuck_out_tongue:
Okay, Mr. Rolls Royce lol.

Apr 29, 2019 at 4:20 PM Post #960 of 7,885

Except that theres nothing wrong with your headphones. You're trippin that they were worn for an hour (like you know how Buffalo leather looks like after being worn for an hour) and you didn't want the new leather set or your money back, so you'll get another pair....which is all fine, but it has nothing to do with QC, its how they are designed.
You weren't been given a bad one, you just don't like them.
So, speaking precisely, thata not a QC issue, its about what aesthetic appearance you expect for $3500.
I'm sorry that you're disappointed, but I hope you understand that being pretty was not the point of making and designing the SR1a. Its basic function is something else entirely and it is made for that purpose alone.
We'll deal with aesthetics more on the next model, I promise.

RAAL 1995 Stay updated on RAAL 1995 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/raalribbon https://raalribbon.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back