Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Jan 22, 2024 at 10:46 PM Post #7,426 of 7,885
Interesting to hear that the VM-1a don’t need the filters. Now I’m even more curious about the new VM (VM-1b?) :)
I give the VM a strong recommendation...definitely a strong "buy." I haven't even upgraded the tubes yet. The ones I've been recommended are pricey. Danny told me he specifically picked out the stock ones, so I might just be happy with them. I have to use my funds for the new 3 ribbon first... :beyersmile:

Jan 22, 2024 at 10:48 PM Post #7,427 of 7,885
I really wanna post the pictures of the new 3 ribbon and the price, but I'll hold off.

Jan 22, 2024 at 11:06 PM Post #7,428 of 7,885
I'm relieved another person feels that way about the filters. and yes, the vm1a is magic.

My current chain is rockna WLS, aes/ebu into Wavelight, vm1a triode mode, and both sr1b and ca1a sound amazing. NOS EL34 Mullard and smoke glass Ken Rad.

Jan 22, 2024 at 11:10 PM Post #7,429 of 7,885
I pulled out the ribbons, and my left one is damaged. I guess I need a new pair. 🤷‍♂️

Jan 22, 2024 at 11:31 PM Post #7,430 of 7,885
I used to think the same thing, but with the VM-1a you don't need the filters at all. In fact, the filters actually take something away from the sound. He was saying the new headphones use a TI-C, which was interesting. I would really like to use my VM, and not the TI, but we shall see...

Mitch makes some awesome filters though. I have them for almost all of my headphones. I don't always use them, but they are a nice difference with certain headphones. :metal:
I must say I find the filters preferable with or without the VM-1a and I do think the VM is outstanding....

Jan 22, 2024 at 11:57 PM Post #7,431 of 7,885
I pulled out the ribbons, and my left one is damaged. I guess I need a new pair. 🤷‍♂️
Can you post a photo of the damaged one? I'm curious what damaged looks like for ribbons.

Jan 23, 2024 at 12:02 AM Post #7,432 of 7,885
Can you post a photo of the damaged one? I'm curious what damaged looks like for ribbons.
It just looks indented

IMG_3820.jpeg

Jan 23, 2024 at 12:10 AM Post #7,433 of 7,885
So, I'm gonna go on a drunk ramble, as I vape this Juul (I'm trying to quit). For the price of the new 3 ribbon headphones, I expect them to be substantially better than the SR, with the bass of the CA (if not better). At the price they are asking, I expect them to be breathtaking. I'm figuring out how I can pay for them right now. I might sell off this Smyth Audio A16 Realiser (as you can get the same sound with properly mixed and mastered albums [sorry, but it's what I think]). It's either this 3 ribbon pair of headphones or the Valkyria. I'm leaning toward the 3 ribbon, as I really like ribbon sounds, but it better be amazing...
I believe that not to be possible. Once you reach the levels of musical reproduction we are talking about here, improvements in allowing you to experience what the microphones heard, are moved forward in very small percentiles, not in the huge amounts it appears you're hoping for here. I've been pursuing the 'Holy Grail' in 2-channel and headphone reproduction for the better part of 40 years, and I have found this to be the case almost without fail. It's called chasing the last 5% or so....which is by FAR the most expensive chase in our hobby.

Jan 23, 2024 at 12:30 AM Post #7,434 of 7,885
:beyersmile:

They are asking for a super premium. I gotta sell some s to pay for it. It better be good. :deadhorse:
I have a CODA #16 amp up for sale to get ready for the new RAAL. Getting the VM-1a on Wednesday so got to pay for that too.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2024 at 12:31 AM Post #7,435 of 7,885
It just looks indented

IMG_3820.jpeg
That looks to me like something you can fix by blowing on the dent. I bet it'll pop right back in place. Very careful and gentle use of a q-tip would also probably do it. That said, I suspect that's not the cause of the problem you're having. Forgive me if I missed it--you already tried swapping the cable connections to confirm it's not the cable?

Jan 23, 2024 at 12:37 AM Post #7,436 of 7,885
I believe that not to be possible. Once you reach the levels of musical reproduction we are talking about here, improvements in allowing you to experience what the microphones heard, are moved forward in very small percentiles, not in the huge amounts it appears you're hoping for here. I've been pursuing the 'Holy Grail' in 2-channel and headphone reproduction for the better part of 40 years, and I have found this to be the case almost without fail. It's called chasing the last 5% or so....which is by FAR the most expensive chase in our hobby.
Admittedly, I have no idea what I'm talking about, but moving from 1 driver to 3, each tuned differently to fill out the FR curve, could result in a pretty dramatic improvement . . . maybe? Though it would be really tricky to pull off correctly.

Jan 23, 2024 at 12:42 AM Post #7,437 of 7,885
That looks to me like something you can fix by blowing on the dent. I bet it'll pop right back in place. Very careful and gentle use of a q-tip would also probably do it. That said, I suspect that's not the cause of the problem you're having. Forgive me if I missed it--you already tried swapping the cable connections to confirm it's not the cable?
Yeah, I confirmed it's not the cable. I sent the pic to Raal, we'll see what they say. Something is wrong though, but I'm not sure what the issue is

Jan 23, 2024 at 1:33 AM Post #7,439 of 7,885
Well, as the discussion goes on here, an interesting question is raised.
If I do decide to purchase the 3-ribbon wonder headphones, will I be able to replace a damaged ribbon/s without sending them back for repair?

Jan 23, 2024 at 2:30 AM Post #7,440 of 7,885
You are probably right. I guess I expect the new 3 ribbon to have Shang Sr resolution (which is slightl) above sr1b resolution), with ca bass or better. They’re using normal perforated ear pads from what I can tell, with no opening, so the bass should be good. Also, and Danny might not like me saying this (but he didn’t say I couldn’t). The 3 ribbons are all tuned the same. It’s not one for bass, one for mids, one for treble as I initially thought. I wonder what that does to the sound. He said they are next level, but who knows what that means

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back