Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Apr 5, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #706 of 7,847
Has anyone measured this yet? Need to see any measurements before considering it seriously.
I suspect that these headphones do not respond well to EQ because of high wattage they require.
If tonal balances are difficult to correct via EQ, need to confirm whether there are any peaks or valley through FR.
Llamaluv is inviting peeps over. Whether if you're a pothead or homeless peep, all are welcome to try out his SR1A system before you buy. PeteSTRADAMUS is on his way too to Watch some anime together.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2019 at 2:00 PM Post #707 of 7,847
Loool thers no need for eqing if your gear is up to stuff.
Gears improve dynamics, staging, imaging, inner resolution, and etc, but they do not correct peaks or valleys as far as they are neutral. Every headphone I saw so far has peaks or valleys to some degree.
But perhaps, the SR1A might not have any peaks or valleys, so will it become a king of neutral?

Apr 5, 2019 at 3:04 PM Post #709 of 7,847
I am intrigued by these headphones particularly because I have a respectable two-channel speaker system and can use my power amps (appreciate that this can also be done with certain other headphones but this is truly dedicated to be used in this way). I contacted Alex and Danny yesterday and received a very prompt and helpful response. As I live in Brasil I will need to try and audition them somehow and then if I buy them work out how to get them here without paying about 100% in taxes (Yes, Brazil is insane). I am continuing to read through the thread but has anyone compared these extensively against the SR-009s which I currently own?
I’ll be getting my sr1a’s hopefully sometime next week and run it with my Chord blu/dave combo and constellation Taurus amp. I’ll post some impressions. I have the sr-009 BHSE combo as well so I’ll bake it off against that rig.

Apr 5, 2019 at 3:06 PM Post #710 of 7,847
I’ll be getting my sr1a’s hopefully sometime next week and run it with my Chord blu/dave combo and constellation Taurus amp. I’ll post some impressions. I have the sr-009 BHSE combo as well so I’ll bake it off against that rig.
that would be very helpful, thank you. Cant wait to hear your impressions and comparisons. As I mentioned, I have a good two channel system so for me this route makes a lot of sense rather than having to invest in an amp as well.

Apr 5, 2019 at 3:12 PM Post #711 of 7,847
Llamaluv is inviting peeps over. Whether you're a pothead or homeless peep, all are welcome to try out his SR1A system before you buy. PeteSTRADAMUS is on his way too to Watch some anime together.
Bahaha, I don't do the anime thing. The closest I ever got was Dragon Ballz lol.

Apr 5, 2019 at 3:32 PM Post #713 of 7,847
You aint fking leaving until we finish boku no pico.
....ceastwood.gif

Apr 5, 2019 at 5:01 PM Post #714 of 7,847
Gears improve dynamics, staging, imaging, inner resolution, and etc, but they do not correct peaks or valleys as far as they are neutral. Every headphone I saw so far has peaks or valleys to some degree.
But perhaps, the SR1A might not have any peaks or valleys, so will it become a king of neutral?

The FR is pencil-flat - haven't measured it, but from listening to the cans they don't have any spikes at all. They don't even have second-order spikes, i.e. transition speed is basically frequency-independent.

And you can definitely EQ them, even though I don't see much of a point. You can also tone down the treble by running it off a tube amp - most are quite far from neutral as far as treble is concerned.

Apr 5, 2019 at 5:38 PM Post #715 of 7,847
znuLUwW.jpg

Today I got a chance to try the (excellent and not pictured) MSB Reference DAC at Sound by Singer in NYC. I'm now seriously tempted to buy the MSB, assuming that I can liquidate some gear and work out a deal on it.

What really surprised me, though, was the Absolare Integrated, a hybrid design rated at 150wpc at 8 ohms. Andy had some issues with his CH power amp so he asked me to put the SR1a on the Absolare. This is a fantastic amp - it's not the first hybrid design that I've listened to with the SR1a's, but it's definitely the best execution in terms of combining the great things about tube and solid state. In particular, you get almost all of the speed and control of a high end solid state amp, and yet the treble tonality and vocal presentation is entirely tube-like. Compared to warm solid state designs (Pass), this amp pulls off the "euphoria" characteristic of strong tube setups much more convincingly. Outside of the fantastically expensive Thrax Spartcus, I would say this amp has the best femal vocals of any SR1a system that I've ever listened to.

That and it's a beautiful amp. The leather is supple and the color is blindingly rich in person, in a good way. If price were no object I would definitely want one - but I'm not a huge fan of tubes (other than the 300b) personally, and I want to prioritize upgrading my DAC if possible. If any of you happen to be in NYC (@llamaluv ), I would recommend checking out Andy's showroom. He's a New Yorker and can come across as a bit blunt, but if you know what you're doing and am serious about buying gear, he's a great person to talk to. We had a nice conversation about DAC topology and the MSB vs. DCS debate.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2019 at 6:47 PM Post #716 of 7,847
znuLUwW.jpg

Today I got a chance to try the (excellent and not pictured) MSB Reference DAC at Sound by Singer in NYC. I'm now seriously tempted to buy the MSB, assuming that I can liquidate some gear and work out a deal on it.

What really surprised me, though, was the Absolare Integrated, a hybrid design rated at 150wpc at 8 ohms. Andy had some issues with his CH power amp so he asked me to put the SR1a on the Absolare. This is a fantastic amp - it's not the first hybrid design that I've listened to with the SR1a's, but it's definitely the best execution in terms of combining the great things about tube and solid state. In particular, you get almost all of the speed and control of a high end solid state amp, and yet the treble tonality and vocal presentation is entirely tube-like. Compared to warm solid state designs (Pass), this amp pulls off the "euphoria" characteristic of strong tube setups much more convincingly. Outside of the fantastically expensive Thrax Spartcus, I would say this amp has the best femal vocals of any SR1a system that I've ever listened to.

That and it's a beautiful amp. The leather is supple and the color is blindingly rich in person, in a good way. If price were no object I would definitely want one - but I'm not a huge fan of tubes (other than the 300b) personally, and I want to prioritize upgrading my DAC if possible. If any of you happen to be in NYC (@llamaluv ), I would recommend checking out Andy's showroom. He's a New Yorker and can come across as a bit blunt, but if you know what you're doing and am serious about buying gear, he's a great person to talk to. We had a nice conversation about DAC topology and the MSB vs. DCS debate.
"liquidate some gear"

Do tell

Apr 5, 2019 at 7:02 PM Post #717 of 7,847
"liquidate some gear"

Do tell

The entire Nagra stack, a Classic DAC and the classic INT for $17,500 plus paypal shipped within lower 48 :)

Apr 6, 2019 at 7:10 AM Post #719 of 7,847
First comments from today's shootout between the Empyrean, Ether 2, and SR1A:

- The SR1A has stunning detail, separation, and clarity unlike any headphone I have ever heard.
- The Empyrean would be my choice for Jazzz
- The SR1A is better than my Stax 009S and Blue Hawaii SE
- The Empyrean is rather dull and non engaging
- The bass and sub bass on the SR1A is astounding for an open headphone
- The Ether 2 is a good headphone for all genres of music and would be my choice, as I don't have the budget for an amplifier for the SR1A. However the SR1A is the most amazing headphone I have ever heard!
- I am shocked at how good the SR1A actually sounds with just a Schiit Vidar and a Hiby R6

More to come!!!

Apr 6, 2019 at 7:41 AM Post #720 of 7,847
A very long review from this customer:

SR1A very detailed and clear but the bass is not deep enough for him.
Empyrean is very flat and bass is good but detail is not good enough.
Ether 2 the sound is very clear but it seems like it's hard to drive.

His choice is the Empyrean if he has to chose one of these three headphones, but none of them were perfect for him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back