Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Apr 7, 2019 at 3:08 AM Post #737 of 7,842
Question, has any one had any experience with the micromedia 150 integrated amps 150 watts per channel at 8 ohms? I just auditioned one and it seemed pretty good, but the setting wasn’t great so I’m not sure how accurately I really heard it.

Appreciate the feedback

S

Apr 7, 2019 at 5:02 AM Post #741 of 7,842
Well need to say I just had a chance to connect the Vidar to a Yggdrasil and a PS Audio Directstream DAC using a GSX MK2 as a pre-amp, and the single Vidar sounds pretty damn incredible. In certain aspects as far as the mids and lows and actual weight to the sound, I think it sounds better than the Bryston 3B3. The 3B3 obviously sounds clearer and has more detail and definition, but I'm wondering seriously how the dual Vidar monoblocks will sound now. I'm excited!!

Apr 7, 2019 at 5:11 AM Post #742 of 7,842
I would be interested to hear your impressions of using the Bryston 3B3 amplifier with the SR1A - this is a much more expensive amplifier than the Vidar and is configured as two mono amps with separate power supplies within a single chassis !! I am currently using a 2.5B3 Bryston with the SR1A and would like to see whether there are better options available.
The 3B3 has great detail and clarity and sounds fantastic, it's just lacking the rich full sound that we're getting with the single Vidar. This makes me think the Vidar monoblocks may be the way to go. The 3B3 is quite bright too, this could be due to the pre that we have been using (GSX MK2, notorious for this, but we have tried others and had similar results), We tried a Lyngdorf 200 watt per channel 8 Ohm digital power amp and it was much better with the mids and low end (and body) but it lacked the detail of the 3B3. The MicroMega M-One 150 I tried today sounded good but it wasn't an ideal listening environment. Hence, asking if anyone else has tried it. Tomorrow I will try Moon's power amp the only non-integrated small one, then I'll just wait for the dual Vidar unless someone else chimes in? :)

Apr 7, 2019 at 5:14 AM Post #743 of 7,842
I would be interested to hear your impressions of using the Bryston 3B3 amplifier with the SR1A - this is a much more expensive amplifier than the Vidar and is configured as two mono amps with separate power supplies within a single chassis !! I am currently using a 2.5B3 Bryston with the SR1A and would like to see whether there are better options available.
I think I covered it above but PM me if you have any specific questions. It's fantastic but a bit thin and bright. The Vidar is much richer and full of body (better mids and lows) but does lack the detail of the 3B3.

Apr 7, 2019 at 5:40 AM Post #744 of 7,842
Well need to say I just had a chance to connect the Vidar to a Yggdrasil and a PS Audio Directstream DAC using a GSX MK2 as a pre-amp, and the single Vidar sounds pretty damn incredible. In certain aspects as far as the mids and lows and actual weight to the sound, I think it sounds better than the Bryston 3B3. The 3B3 obviously sounds clearer and has more detail and definition, but I'm wondering seriously how the dual Vidar monoblocks will sound now. I'm excited!!

If you like the single Vidar, quite sure you'll like the dual Vidar monoblocks even more. We've already been there, done that!

Apr 7, 2019 at 6:25 AM Post #746 of 7,842
The 3B3 has great detail and clarity and sounds fantastic, it's just lacking the rich full sound that we're getting with the single Vidar. This makes me think the Vidar monoblocks may be the way to go. The 3B3 is quite bright too, this could be due to the pre that we have been using (GSX MK2, notorious for this, but we have tried others and had similar results), We tried a Lyngdorf 200 watt per channel 8 Ohm digital power amp and it was much better with the mids and low end (and body) but it lacked the detail of the 3B3. The MicroMega M-One 150 I tried today sounded good but it wasn't an ideal listening environment. Hence, asking if anyone else has tried it. Tomorrow I will try Moon's power amp the only non-integrated small one, then I'll just wait for the dual Vidar unless someone else chimes in? :)

Many thanks for sharing your experience. I'm a little surprised by the apparent lean, thin and bright sound you are getting from the 3B3. As you say it may be a symptom of the source or pre-amp - I'm using the dCS Vivaldi DAC as a pre-amp for my 2.5B3 and haven't experienced the deficiencies you mention at all.

Apr 7, 2019 at 7:04 AM Post #747 of 7,842
What about Schiit AEGIR in mono configuration? It's class A and it can output 80W into 8ohms. It should be sufficient for SRH1A or not?

I was checking Schiit VIDAR as well, but looks like it's out of stock everywhere. I'm wondering if Vidar 2 is on the way, or just new SRH1A owners bought all of them :smiley:

Maybe @Jason Stoddard will be able to advise, exactly how many Watts can AEGIR output into 6ohms in dual mono configuration and Why is VIDAR currently out of stock everywhere?

Thanks

Apr 7, 2019 at 10:43 AM Post #749 of 7,842
Apr 7, 2019 at 11:14 AM Post #750 of 7,842
Assuming that the 91db/W figure is that of the headphones only, sounds like you really need 10 watts of pure class A per channel into .2 ohms.
My uberamp2 running on 24V rails with the bias turned up to 5 amps will certainly do that. Main benefit would be a much higher damping factor.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back