Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
May 3, 2023 at 8:50 PM Post #6,601 of 7,894
What do you hear with the Mitch filters that you don't hear from the Roon or other PEQ filters?

I would suggest you do a trial of the filter set and see how you like them. As with all filters, it depends on what you expect or want from your system. There is no substitute for having an actual listen and decide for yourself if the resulting sound is what you would want. :)

May 4, 2023 at 1:16 AM Post #6,602 of 7,894
Using SW filters is something I can't do, but I'm looking forward to giving the TI-1b/OB a try.

May 4, 2023 at 5:16 AM Post #6,603 of 7,894
Using SW filters is something I can't do, but I'm looking forward to giving the TI-1b/OB a try.
Yes. Unless you use a direct drive amp like Schitt Jotunheim R, HSA-1c or VM1, you need the OB barrels for the HP amps which feed into the TI-1b interface. For the open baffle ribbon HPs like the SR-1a/b. Not necessary for the circumaural CA-1a. :)

May 4, 2023 at 6:30 AM Post #6,604 of 7,894
Yes. Unless you use a direct drive amp like Schitt Jotunheim R, HSA-1c or VM1, you need the OB barrels for the HP amps which feed into the TI-1b interface. For the open baffle ribbon HPs like the SR-1a/b. Not necessary for the circumaural CA-1a. :)
ATM I'm quite happy using my SR1a attached to my Int-250 via the old Raal amp interface box. But I'm tiring of having to change out the cables when listening to speakers. Plus, the TI-1b/OB is apparently quite popular due to improved sound quality.

May 4, 2023 at 7:14 AM Post #6,605 of 7,894
ATM I'm quite happy using my SR1a attached to my Int-250 via the old Raal amp interface box. But I'm tiring of having to change out the cables when listening to speakers. Plus, the TI-1b/OB is apparently quite popular due to improved sound quality.
I have not used the old interface box cos I don't have speaker amps. But I will say that the new one for use with head phone amps of minimum 2W output, the TI-1b, is excellent! It's very transparent so much that the sound signature of which amp you use will shine through. I know because I rotate between the Shanling M30, Wells Audio Milo and the Phatlab RASA. So, it's like I now have 3 different amps for the RAAL ribbon HPs.

I also have the Schitt Jot R which does not require the OB barrels as it has a switch between open baffle and normal circumaural HPs. I will be receiving a set of the newest iteration of the HSA-1c direct driven amp in the next few weeks. It is useful for me since it drives normal dynamic and planar HPs as well. :)

Look forward to hearing how your adventure goes. :)

May 4, 2023 at 7:34 AM Post #6,606 of 7,894
I have not used the old interface box cos I don't have speaker amps. But I will say that the new one for use with head phone amps of minimum 2W output, the TI-1b, is excellent! It's very transparent so much that the sound signature of which amp you use will shine through. I know because I rotate between the Shanling M30, Wells Audio Milo and the Phatlab RASA. So, it's like I now have 3 different amps for the RAAL ribbon HPs.

I also have the Schitt Jot R which does not require the OB barrels as it has a switch between open baffle and normal circumaural HPs. I will be receiving a set of the newest iteration of the HSA-1c direct driven amp in the next few weeks. It is useful for me since it drives normal dynamic and planar HPs as well. :)

Look forward to hearing how your adventure goes. Should have mine in July, will be fun to try t
Thanks - just noticed you have a Milo. Should have mine in July, looking forward to that. Jeff is nice person to deal with. How do you like yours in combination with the Raal and LCD-4?

May 4, 2023 at 7:45 AM Post #6,607 of 7,894
Thanks - just noticed you have a Milo. Should have mine in July, looking forward to that. Jeff is nice person to deal with. How do you like yours in combination with the Raal and LCD-4?
Ooh! Congrats! I deal with him through the local dealer. He is very accommodating and tries to minimise cost to the end customer. What happened was I had a little accident and the face plate of the Milo was damaged. Jeff told my dealer after he got the photos: na… that’s why I built the Milo this way. I will send a new face plate and you guys can replace it for him. It was a minimal sum. Very kind of him!

The Milo is EXCELLENT with the TI-1b and the RAAL HPs. It has so much power at its disposal and yet never sounds bright or too strident. Lovely tube like sound. It is also very good with the LCD4, Abyss 1266, Hifiman HE-6 and Susvara. So, great choice! Hope you love it as much as I do! :)

May 5, 2023 at 8:36 AM Post #6,608 of 7,894
After a couple of days away on the Shanling M9Plus with FitEar DC Ti/Eletech Ode to Laura, now back on the peerless SR-1a. Milo driving it via TI-1b. That’s why I say that @Aleksandar R. does not claim enough credit for how good the TI-1b is. Or how transparent it is: it’s like listening via your existing HP amp but with a simple bridge across to the ribbon HP world.

A lovely Friday night of listening ahead. :)

May 5, 2023 at 9:23 AM Post #6,609 of 7,894

Why do you have to change out cables, there's a switch on the back of the box. I mean, that alone is a bit of an inconvenience, but certainly is better than messing with cables.

May 5, 2023 at 2:26 PM Post #6,610 of 7,894
Why do you have to change out cables, there's a switch on the back of the box. I mean, that alone is a bit of an inconvenience, but certainly is better than messing with cables.
I know, sounds strange, but I'm particular about my floor speaker cables. Prefer a straight shot from soeaker to amp.

May 5, 2023 at 5:08 PM Post #6,611 of 7,894
I know, sounds strange, but I'm particular about my floor speaker cables. Prefer a straight shot from soeaker to amp.

Ahh gotcha lol. I didn't know if maybe you didn't know or had forgotten about it.

May 5, 2023 at 7:48 PM Post #6,612 of 7,894
Yes, the TI-1c is new for 2023.

Instead of 32/16 ohms, it loads the amp with 8 or 4 Ohms.

For example, if you have, say, 10W w 5% THD at 8 Ohms, it doesn't mean you will have 5W w 5% THD at 16 Ohms (unless it has the 16 ohms dedicated output).
They usually don't have feedback to keep things firmly in check and distortion may rise or fall, the result is not guaranteed, as it depends on idle current and anode voltage choice that designer had made.

Also, the output transformer for all tube amps, not just SETs, has the primary inductance that is designed to couple their primary impedance above certain low frequency. That is how the low-end -3dB point is defined.
For example, if a SET amp transformer makes 3k at the primary (the anode load) for 8 ohms at the secondary, it will make 6k if you plug in 16 ohms to the same secondary, but the primary inductance remains fixed so the transformer will "couple" the bass one octave higher, so the bass gets leaner.
If you plug in 32 Ohms at the same secondary, you will move the -3dB point two octaves higher...

So, in order to correctly load the small power tube amps, SET or PP, we had to come up with 8/4 ohms TI box.

If the amp has a designated 16 Ohms output, then TI-1b is doing the job, you don't need the C version.
I have a TI-1c on order. Will report back once received and I can compare / contrast with the 1b.

May 5, 2023 at 10:36 PM Post #6,613 of 7,894
May 5, 2023 at 10:48 PM Post #6,614 of 7,894
@Tchoupitoulas

Great handle. I used to live near that road.
Thanks - and likewise with your handle, I'm a fan of Ardbeg! I lived on Tchoup, not far from Dos Jefes, the Uptown Cigar Bar, which had good live music. I miss nola, such a great town for music!

Looking forward to your impressions of the TI-1c, I hope it works out nicely for you!

May 5, 2023 at 11:02 PM Post #6,615 of 7,894
I purchased the Accurate Sound/Mitch filters for my SR-1b phones and imported them into Roon. For the record, there are 3 filters that do not contain the open baffle compensation, requiring the concomitant use of the Roon PEQ for OBC, and 2 newer ones that already contain the open baffle compensation. I am not sure the configuration of the first 3 but of the latter 2 the first is "neutral" and the second is "neutral with greater bass extension". I stream Qobuz files using Roon on my Windows 10 laptop onto my network where my Bricasti M1SE with network streamer sends it to my Benchmark HPA4 headphone amp.

My initial listening impressions are below.

I did get a chance to hear three pieces of music with the 5 filters: Billy Ocean's Loverboy, an 80s pop/rock track, not really a great recording; John Mellencamp's The Isolation of Mister, a nice 24/96 song with a lot of guitar fingering and brushed drums; and Mark Knopfler's The Lights of Taormina, a 24/192 superb recording with a lot of tight low bass, detail, and spaciousness.

I would say several things. First, the Mitch filters are better than the Roon Parametric Equalizer, PEQ, especially the PEQ open baffle compensation program. Second, the better the recording, the more noticeable the sonic improvement with the Mitch filters. Third, I liked filter 2 that omitted the open baffle compensation the best of the three that omitted the OBC and required the addition of the Roon PEQ OBC, not sure what configuration it was. Of the two that contained the OBC already I liked filter 2 with the increased bass extension the best of all 5. In fact, both filters that contained the OBC were better than the 3 that omitted it. On the songs above that featured guitar fingering it was easier to hear how the guitars were played, there was more immediacy, and it stood proud of the mix more readily. The one thing that the SR-1b needs above all else is warmth and bass response, not the type of what I call closed compressive bass but the more natural kind of bass that occurs in free air that the RAAL does so much better than closed phones, and filters 2 and 5 added not only low and midbass but more body of instruments that complimented their massive speed and detail that made instruments sound more natural, i.e. body as well as pluck, sustain as well as attack. If you have ever heard Wilson speakers (I owned two different models and never quite got used to the leanness and hyperdetail of music through them) then you know what I am talking about. However, I am definitely not a fan of overly warm, smooth, bass-prominent phones that are so popular these days. There also was a sense of airiness and spaciousness using the Mitch filters missing somewhat on the standard Roon PEQ but maybe I was just imagining this aspect as the change was more subtle.

I am not sure a casual listener would hear these differences (the only change my wife has ever heard was when I added a subwoofer to my speaker system :). But the sound of the phones was improved in most ways with the Mitch filters and well worth the time and money spent on getting these into Roon. I look forward to hearing other music and the improvement in sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back