Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Apr 25, 2023 at 10:21 PM Post #6,571 of 7,885
I have not read all the new posts that flooded my inbox recently, but I do see a comment about the VM-1a not being sold by RAAL anymore. I got to read a bit more on that.

I was speaking with Danny last week and told him that the TL-1b could bite into the VM-1a sales because with a good amp the TL-1b delivers an almost VM-1a level sound.

So good, that I plan on using the TL-1b in my office with a Peachtree GAN1 (modded) amp for my CA-1a. A CODA #16 amp with the SR1a + CA-1a. My VM-1a will move to another room and be used much less, at least 2023 with my work schedule. I listen to the CA-1a and SR1a each night for many hours while I work the night work shift and the TL-1b was very satisfying and helpful with that.

The VM-1a is not going anywhere though, it is still the best RAAL amp.

Apr 25, 2023 at 10:44 PM Post #6,572 of 7,885
I have not read all the new posts that flooded my inbox recently, but I do see a comment about the VM-1a not being sold by RAAL anymore. I got to read a bit more on that.

I was speaking with Danny last week and told him that the TL-1b could bite into the VM-1a sales because with a good amp the TL-1b delivers an almost VM-1a level sound.

So good, that I plan on using the TL-1b in my office with a Peachtree GAN1 (modded) amp for my CA-1a. A CODA #16 amp with the SR1a + CA-1a. My VM-1a will move to another room and be used much less, at least 2023 with my work schedule. I listen to the CA-1a and SR1a each night for many hours while I work the night work shift and the TL-1b was very satisfying and helpful with that.

The VM-1a is not going anywhere though, it is still the best RAAL amp.
I think the strength of the TI-1b interface that it is so transparent. So, the sound signature of the amp you use with the interface still shines through. Therein lies the beauty. When I use it with the Shanling M30 for example, the nutube sound that I do enjoy about the M30 shines through and is excellent for the CA-1a. Like how the Wells Audio Milo‘s lushness and rich tonality shines through when used with the TI-1b. The SR-1b benefits very much. :)

Apr 26, 2023 at 12:45 AM Post #6,573 of 7,885
I'm curious what mode you have VM-1a set to when you make that comparison. The Tl-1B and my Moon 600i is a great comparison to ultralinear mode with the VM-1a... But not the other two.

Apr 26, 2023 at 1:24 AM Post #6,574 of 7,885
@normie610 Quick Q: for the VM-1a, do you have to bias the tubes yourself if you switch them? That is frankly what scares me about tubes generally… 🙊

Apr 26, 2023 at 1:40 AM Post #6,575 of 7,885
I'm curious what mode you have VM-1a set to when you make that comparison. The Tl-1B and my Moon 600i is a great comparison to ultralinear mode with the VM-1a... But not the other two.
I usually listen to the VM-1a in Pentode mode. The 2 amps I am using are pretty amazing and that is what I believe I am hearing. That is the TL-1b does not seem to be affecting the sound as much as the old adapter box.

Apr 26, 2023 at 2:33 AM Post #6,576 of 7,885
BTW, Ana Caram - Maracana is a great binaural album (on Chesky):
Do the CD notes say that the recording is binaural. I'm listening to the album on Tidal... It doesn't sound like it's binaural.

Stupid David Chesky doesn’t release the stuff from his label on Tidal.
Hmmm.... I've found nearly all of my Chesky's binaural recordings on Tidal... Not in Hi-Res... But they are available.

DA97B0EB-D560-49CB-B736-C2AA2D3F6817.png

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #6,577 of 7,885
Quick Q, folks: I am still pondering Mitch’s filters. I noticed that he has something for the HQPlayer. Any idea how that works. I know how the convolution filters would work with Roon. But what about this for the HQ Player?

IMG_2042.jpeg

Thanks all! 🙏

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2023 at 11:22 AM Post #6,578 of 7,885
Quick Q, folks: I am still pondering Mitch’s filters. I noticed that he has something for the HQPlayer. Any idea how that works. I know how the convolution filters would work with Roon. But what about this for the HQ Player?

Thanks all! 🙏
Mono filters can be easily derived from stereo filters using audacity. I've done the same for my DACs with <192/176khz limit.

Apr 27, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #6,579 of 7,885
Mono filters can be easily derived from stereo filters using audacity. I've done the same for my DACs with <192/176khz limit.
Thanks.
How does one use it with HQPlayer though?

Apr 27, 2023 at 8:40 PM Post #6,580 of 7,885
i got my VM1a and SR1b back from my friend after lending it to him for about 2 weeks. in the meantime, was listening with the Ca1a via the ti1b box. The ca1a is really great for that added warmth and bass, but the vm1a + sr1b is a hard combo to beat. just something about the sr1b presentation.. super holographic sensation, amazing depth and placement, and the vocals which just sound so sweet and real and lush. am not even bothered about there being less low end; the bass that is present is just the right amount, has enough punchiness, is well detailed and textured, and complements the rest of the music superbly.

Apr 27, 2023 at 9:28 PM Post #6,581 of 7,885
i got my VM1a and SR1b back from my friend after lending it to him for about 2 weeks. in the meantime, was listening with the Ca1a via the ti1b box. The ca1a is really great for that added warmth and bass, but the vm1a + sr1b is a hard combo to beat. just something about the sr1b presentation.. super holographic sensation, amazing depth and placement, and the vocals which just sound so sweet and real and lush. am not even bothered about there being less low end; the bass that is present is just the right amount, has enough punchiness, is well detailed and textured, and complements the rest of the music superbly.
Will your friend purchase VM-1a or Tl-1B and SR1b combo?

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2023 at 9:48 PM Post #6,582 of 7,885
Will your friend purchase VM-1a or Tl-1B and SR1b combo?

he really likes it. his main hp is Susvara, has a nice system, and he is a detail monster, so he really enjoyed the SR1b. he listens to only offline upsampled music from PGGB and goes for the highest resolution. not sure if he will go ahead and purchase a set for himself, but i think he is going to make some inquiries.

Apr 28, 2023 at 9:30 AM Post #6,583 of 7,885
Anyway, I should be getting my hands on a 10 foot Star8 cable and, hopefully not long after that, the HSA-1c. Will be interesting to see if there are any changes from the HSA-1b in terms of functionality. :)

Apr 28, 2023 at 5:46 PM Post #6,585 of 7,885
they are well worth the cost particularly for the Sr1a and Ca-1a...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back