Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Apr 28, 2023 at 8:11 PM Post #6,586 of 7,885
Apr 29, 2023 at 1:06 AM Post #6,587 of 7,885
they are well worth the cost particularly for the Sr1a and Ca-1a...
I am sure. Though most of my music is streaming from Apple, QQMusic and KKBox. I do use Roon, but it is not quite predominant. :)

Apr 30, 2023 at 1:31 AM Post #6,588 of 7,885
Lazy Sunday afternoon listening with the SR-1a of the JotR. HQPlayer with iFi NEO Stream as NAA. Trying out the convolution filters from Oratory 1990. OK. It takes a while for my brain to adjust. It is not as blunted as I initially thought.

Mitch will kindly send me the trial versions for SR-1a and CA-1a filters. :)

IMG_2055.png

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2023 at 10:54 PM Post #6,589 of 7,885
Trying out the demo filter set courtesy of Mitch. Mitch was also kind enough to show how to use the filters for music apps other than Roon. Interesting and does improve the use case for the filters. :)

IMG_2066.png

Apr 30, 2023 at 11:08 PM Post #6,590 of 7,885
I have been using the Roon parametric equalizers with parameters suggested by Alexander to perform open baffle compensation. Therefore I have avoided purchasing the Mitch convolution filters due to extra cost and the availability of only a few Mitch filters versus the infinitely configurable Roon filters. However, like most listeners here I am always looking for the best sound so it would be great to know the plusses and minuses of each filter type. Thank you.

Apr 30, 2023 at 11:23 PM Post #6,591 of 7,885
I have been using the Roon parametric equalizers with parameters suggested by Alexander to perform open baffle compensation. Therefore I have avoided purchasing the Mitch convolution filters due to extra cost and the availability of only a few Mitch filters versus the infinitely configurable Roon filters. However, like most listeners here I am always looking for the best sound so it would be great to know the plusses and minuses of each filter type. Thank you.
I reckon the other folks on the thread, who have been using the filters for much longer, are better placed to answer your question. What is immediately clear from the outset is that the filters have the impact of “smoothening” out some of the edge and bite of the SR-1a which may or may not bother you. To me, it will likely lead to much longer sessions with less fatigue.

Further, the filters do not obviate the need for open baffle compensation, as they were created with open baffle compensation engaged. That was noted by Mitch in one of his emails.

Finally, the way I see it is this: there will be days when I feel like the SR-1a unfiltered. And that is still possible. :) But other days when I just to enjoy a long relaxing listen, I can do so with the filters. :)

May 1, 2023 at 12:43 AM Post #6,592 of 7,885
Now trying the CA-1a with the filters. I think there is no substitute for listening for yourself and making comparisons. I think whether or not one chooses to get the filter sets will depend on how you like your music. If you like to take a step back, have more air, then this will be for you. If, however, you enjoy immediacy and more edge, it may be that plain vanilla works better. Or if you want to have different flavours from the same pair ribbon HPs, then it make sense to be able to switch depending on your mood for the day.

And, as with all things, your audio chain is likely to have some sort of impact as well.

Hence, I would strongly recommend anyone who is pondering to have a listen yourself. Mitch makes it easy and painless to do side by side comparisons between the filtered and unfiltered sound because the Hang Loose Convolver allows you to bypass with a simple click.

Just a few thoughts as I listen. :)

May 3, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #6,593 of 7,885
Last edited:
May 3, 2023 at 2:06 PM Post #6,594 of 7,885
Now trying the CA-1a with the filters. I think there is no substitute for listening for yourself and making comparisons. I think whether or not one chooses to get the filter sets will depend on how you like your music. If you like to take a step back, have more air, then this will be for you. If, however, you enjoy immediacy and more edge, it may be that plain vanilla works better. Or if you want to have different flavours from the same pair ribbon HPs, then it make sense to be able to switch depending on your mood for the day.

And, as with all things, your audio chain is likely to have some sort of impact as well.

Hence, I would strongly recommend anyone who is pondering to have a listen yourself. Mitch makes it easy and painless to do side by side comparisons between the filtered and unfiltered sound because the Hang Loose Convolver allows you to bypass with a simple click.

Just a few thoughts as I listen. :)
What exactly are these "filter sets", which Mitch is offering? They're in addition to the new TI-1b/OB interface? Software or hardware? Thanks!

May 3, 2023 at 2:12 PM Post #6,595 of 7,885
May 3, 2023 at 3:20 PM Post #6,597 of 7,885
There are some alternatives to purchasing the convolution filters. You can either buy some inline electronic filters from RAAL Requisite that are connected prior to your amp or you can do as I do and use parametric equalizers from Roon and others. I have not heard the convolution filters but if it were me I would try the free PEQ filters available from various sources unless you have experience with the convolution filters or don't mind paying for them. I believe Mitch allows a trial period for his convolution filters.

May 3, 2023 at 4:06 PM Post #6,598 of 7,885
using equalizers from roon to by pass the need to use the electronic filters has nothing to do with using the convolution filters which are truly fantastic with the Raal HP's

May 3, 2023 at 4:09 PM Post #6,599 of 7,885
using equalizers from roon to by pass the need to use the electronic filters has nothing to do with using the convolution filters which are truly fantastic with the Raal HP's
What do you hear with the Mitch filters that you don't hear from the Roon or other PEQ filters?

May 3, 2023 at 7:26 PM Post #6,600 of 7,885
my point isnt what I hear, I am suggesting that using the roon EQ to avoid using the physical adapters is a different issue altogether

Users who are viewing this thread

Back