Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Apr 14, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #4,906 of 7,883
Hi RickyV,

Regrettably, I had to postpone my purchase. Something came up that took complete control of my cash flow. I will have nothing to share until I can reinstate my order at a later date. Makes me sad.....but life has a way of derailing $6500 amplifier purchases.

Oh no, I am sorry to hear that. Hopefully things will get better soon for you and everybody involved.

Apr 14, 2022 at 3:36 PM Post #4,907 of 7,883
I didn't have a kill-a-watt on hand to measure power usage, but have now borrowed one. In Triode mode once warmed up I get readings around 160-200 watts. In Ultralinear 160-200ish as well. I saw some short spikes up to around 220-240 in the first few minutes or so after turning on. Seems pretty stable in the 160-200 range once warmed up for 10 minutes though. This is in the US with the power supply in 115v mode. Not seeing 250-300ish at all in my case, but not sure if there are factors that would impact the measurement. I didn't seem to get any significant change in power usage by using the volume adjustment, changing music, or changing DAC/pre-amp output voltage into the VMA1.
Yea just checked. In my tests it never moved from 160 watts. Those previous numbers where from my hsa-1b.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2022 at 6:41 PM Post #4,908 of 7,883
Oh man I am enjoying the VM-1a so much. I have been on Euphony, HQ player and convolution filters for more than a week now I am liking it better then without it for now. It’s just a bit friendlier and less shouty.
Tonight playing around a bit with all three mode’s switching within songs, back on triode mode but liking the others too. It’s so immersive, full of the band so fast.

Apr 15, 2022 at 7:42 PM Post #4,909 of 7,883
Oh man I am enjoying the VM-1a so much. I have been on Euphony, HQ player and convolution filters for more than a week now I am liking it better then without it for now. It’s just a bit friendlier and less shouty.
Tonight playing around a bit with all three mode’s switching within songs, back on triode mode but liking the others too. It’s so immersive, full of the band so fast.
Good to hear you are still enjoying! I am really continuing to love mine as well. Granted I was coming from a Jotunheim R as my main listening amp rather than a HSA-1B but the difference is so big and the VM-1a really lets the SR-1a reach their full potential in my opinion. Everything is warm and rich, but still fast and precise in the way you'd expect from the SR-1a.

I have played with Pentode mode only a little but haven't found anything I truly prefer it for yet. Meanwhile both Triode and UltraLinear sound great and I've been switching between them often. I have found Triode to sort of fatten and round off notes on both the low and high end more, basically more of the typical tube sound signature. UltraLinear is to my ears somewhere in between Triode and a typical solid state sound in terms of adding some of that signature tube sound but keeping some more focus and sharpness in the low and high end. I'm finding I prefer UltraLinear for rock and most modern music styles while I prefer triode on some jazz and classical. I think others would be split though with some perhaps finding UltraLinear not quite warm enough or just a little harsh on the high end. Definitely going to depend on both track and listener. All the modes have plenty of headroom for almost all my listening scenarios, but I have continued to find that only in Triode I can very rarely on very quietly recorded classical tracks end up pushing up the volume enough to end up with a little amp clipping in louder sections of the song.

One minor thing I have noticed is that I do get an occasional gentle pop that isn't part of the track. I am not 100% sure if this is just typical or if perhaps I have a misbehaving tube, maybe @Aleksandar R. or @SageM can weigh in. I have had tube amps in the past that have similar occasional noise and it generally isn't bothering me at all, it happens pretty rarely but I'll hear it a few times in a 3-4 hours listening session. Honestly it almost adds to the analogousness and enjoyment, but I would be curious if others get the same or if it is atypical. I'm not talking about the physical tubes/sockets/case making metal expansion crackling/popping noises, that does happen too during warmup/cooldown and is no issue to me at all as it stops after just a minute or two. Rather I am talking about when the amp is warm and has been in use for some time I get an occasional pop in the actual output through the headphones, if I rewind the track and replay the section immediately it never reproduces right then which makes me feel like it's a tube artifact and maybe I should try swapping some tubes around.

Most importantly though, I've been rediscovering old albums I haven't listened to in recent years and hearing them in fresh ways. Well recorded classics like the Warner Remasters edition of the Dire Straights Communique really shine. The subtle smooth guitar work benefits from the brilliance of the tubes and UltraLinear keeps everything tight and precise in a way I favor. Combine that with the sound stage of the SR-1a and listening to a track like News it really does sound like you are transported to a small live performance. Similarly I've been flipping over to Triode when I put on something like Arne Domnérus's classic Jazz at the Pawnshop and equally enjoying the way it warms up the sound of some of the vibraphone notes or makes the initial attack on some of the sharper sax or clarinet notes slightly less harsh. The SR-1a are in general an amazing way to experience the airiness and brilliant recording of Jazz at the Pawnshop and the VM-1a just elevates it even further. I previously read @yyzSB talk about visiting RAAL and listening to Tower of Power's What is Hip and the bassline sounding like a machine gun on the VM-1a. I have to agree that it's another track that really highlights the mid-low-end power and precision in the VM-1a and just how tight and impactful that mid-low bass can be on the SR-1a. Each day I find myself extending my current work-from-home work hours slightly longer than needed simply because I don't want to leave my desk and take off the headphones!

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2022 at 1:21 PM Post #4,910 of 7,883
Hi

has anybody tried the VM1-A in comparison with the HSA1b? I have the HSA1b and love my Raal Sr1a with it (Rockna Wavelight Dac, Raal studio reference cable, no EQ/convolution filter)?

Always curious wether there is a way to improve the experience

Apr 21, 2022 at 6:41 PM Post #4,911 of 7,883
Hi

has anybody tried the VM1-A in comparison with the HSA1b? I have the HSA1b and love my Raal Sr1a with it (Rockna Wavelight Dac, Raal studio reference cable, no EQ/convolution filter)?

Always curious wether there is a way to improve the experience
I have tried both and ended up selling the hsa. Ive.always perered tubes anyways but I really feel that the vm1a really compliments the sr1a well. In triode the sr1a gains more weight and body I never new it needed. Same in Ultralinear put not to the same extent but with a bit more dynamics and more controlled bass.

Don't care for pentode.

Apr 21, 2022 at 6:50 PM Post #4,912 of 7,883
I have tried both and ended up selling the hsa. Ive.always perered tubes anyways but I really feel that the vm1a really compliments the sr1a well. In triode the sr1a gains more weight and body I never new it needed. Same in Ultralinear put not to the same extent but with a bit more dynamics and more controlled bass.

Don't care for pentode.
I have the HSA-1b and expect to get VM-1a later this year. Looking forward to comparing the two myself. Your comments on Triode and Ultralinear mirror my own thoughts when using my PrimaLuna EVO 400, which, by the way, drove the SR1a, using the interface, much to my liking. I'm anticipate even better sound going directly into the SR1a with the VM-1a.

Apr 21, 2022 at 10:03 PM Post #4,914 of 7,883
very interesting for sure

Apr 22, 2022 at 8:56 AM Post #4,915 of 7,883
Good to hear you are still enjoying! I am really continuing to love mine as well. Granted I was coming from a Jotunheim R as my main listening amp rather than a HSA-1B but the difference is so big and the VM-1a really lets the SR-1a reach their full potential in my opinion. Everything is warm and rich, but still fast and precise in the way you'd expect from the SR-1a.

I have played with Pentode mode only a little but haven't found anything I truly prefer it for yet. Meanwhile both Triode and UltraLinear sound great and I've been switching between them often. I have found Triode to sort of fatten and round off notes on both the low and high end more, basically more of the typical tube sound signature. UltraLinear is to my ears somewhere in between Triode and a typical solid state sound in terms of adding some of that signature tube sound but keeping some more focus and sharpness in the low and high end. I'm finding I prefer UltraLinear for rock and most modern music styles while I prefer triode on some jazz and classical. I think others would be split though with some perhaps finding UltraLinear not quite warm enough or just a little harsh on the high end. Definitely going to depend on both track and listener. All the modes have plenty of headroom for almost all my listening scenarios, but I have continued to find that only in Triode I can very rarely on very quietly recorded classical tracks end up pushing up the volume enough to end up with a little amp clipping in louder sections of the song.

One minor thing I have noticed is that I do get an occasional gentle pop that isn't part of the track. I am not 100% sure if this is just typical or if perhaps I have a misbehaving tube, maybe @Aleksandar R. or @SageM can weigh in. I have had tube amps in the past that have similar occasional noise and it generally isn't bothering me at all, it happens pretty rarely but I'll hear it a few times in a 3-4 hours listening session. Honestly it almost adds to the analogousness and enjoyment, but I would be curious if others get the same or if it is atypical. I'm not talking about the physical tubes/sockets/case making metal expansion crackling/popping noises, that does happen too during warmup/cooldown and is no issue to me at all as it stops after just a minute or two. Rather I am talking about when the amp is warm and has been in use for some time I get an occasional pop in the actual output through the headphones, if I rewind the track and replay the section immediately it never reproduces right then which makes me feel like it's a tube artifact and maybe I should try swapping some tubes around.

Most importantly though, I've been rediscovering old albums I haven't listened to in recent years and hearing them in fresh ways. Well recorded classics like the Warner Remasters edition of the Dire Straights Communique really shine. The subtle smooth guitar work benefits from the brilliance of the tubes and UltraLinear keeps everything tight and precise in a way I favor. Combine that with the sound stage of the SR-1a and listening to a track like News it really does sound like you are transported to a small live performance. Similarly I've been flipping over to Triode when I put on something like Arne Domnérus's classic Jazz at the Pawnshop and equally enjoying the way it warms up the sound of some of the vibraphone notes or makes the initial attack on some of the sharper sax or clarinet notes slightly less harsh. The SR-1a are in general an amazing way to experience the airiness and brilliant recording of Jazz at the Pawnshop and the VM-1a just elevates it even further. I previously read @yyzSB talk about visiting RAAL and listening to Tower of Power's What is Hip and the bassline sounding like a machine gun on the VM-1a. I have to agree that it's another track that really highlights the mid-low-end power and precision in the VM-1a and just how tight and impactful that mid-low bass can be on the SR-1a. Each day I find myself extending my current work-from-home work hours slightly longer than needed simply because I don't want to leave my desk and take off the headphones!

"What Is Hip" is a great track for discovering much of what the VM-1a is about. When showing the VM at the shop, I like to include that track and compare to other amp combinations. The stunning contrast is immediately recognized. Density, punch and dynamics can sometimes be a challenging listen for many headphone and amp combinations. SR-1a and VM-1a make it so easy and engaging.

Apr 22, 2022 at 8:59 AM Post #4,916 of 7,883
Apr 22, 2022 at 9:11 AM Post #4,917 of 7,883
TI-1a is a Toroidal Transformer based interface for SR-1a and future True-Ribbon variants.. Recommended minimum power input is 2-watts, though I recently had an enjoyable listen on a 1/2-watt McIntosh. Wasn't able to reach the SR1a max SPL of 111dB but, it was musical, loud enough for much of my volume comfort and perfectly enjoyable. TI-1a really expands amplifier options for our True-Ribbon headphones.

Apr 22, 2022 at 9:14 AM Post #4,918 of 7,883
TI-1a is a Toroidal Transformer based interface for SR-1a and future True-Ribbon variants.. Recommended minimum power input is 2-watts, though I recently had an enjoyable listen on a 1/2-watt McIntosh. Wasn't able to reach the SR1a max SPL of 111dB but, it was musical, loud enough for much of my volume comfort and perfectly enjoyable. TI-1a really expands amplifier options for our True-Ribbon headphones.
I can't wait to try my DHT SET amp with the SR1A

Apr 22, 2022 at 9:16 AM Post #4,919 of 7,883
Although I think I'll be quite happy with VM-1a when i acquire it later this summer. Is the VM-1a being delivered with Mullard EL-34's?

Apr 22, 2022 at 9:25 AM Post #4,920 of 7,883
Although I think I'll be quite happy with VM-1a when i acquire it later this summer. Is the VM-1a being delivered with Mullard EL-34's?
Currently, while building this 2nd run of VMs, we're trying to source more Mullard EL34. I've been receiving encouraging reports from distributors. We'll keep trying and expecting supplies to open up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back