Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Mar 28, 2022 at 7:26 PM Post #4,891 of 7,847
I had the Raal and have tried it with the JotR and also out of pre/power combos. hesitated to blind purchase the hsa1b but ultimately decided not to, and in the end sold the Raal. the reports with the new tube amp are certainly getting me interested in this hp again.. really looking forward to reading hsa1b vs vm1a comparisons.

Mar 28, 2022 at 8:14 PM Post #4,892 of 7,847
I need to stop reading this thread until I get mine. My tracking went from Tuesday to Wednesday and I felt like a broken hearted teenager for a minute.
Very interesting what you say though, I wonder if this amps qualities will negate the "need" to the convolution filters
I removed my SR1a convolution filter when I started using the SR1a with my CODA 07x preamp (solid state) and a Mustec 005 DAC. It replaced the Benchmark DAC3B and Benchmark LA4. I found the BM gear a bad match for the SR1a. Though I prefer the LA4 with my 2 channel speakers. The Benchmark AHB2 amp is actually a great match with the SR1a but it needs to be paired with the correct gear.

When I heard the RAAL VM-1a it sounded even better than all my preamp+ amp combos. I would not use the convolution filter with the VM-1a either. The filter removed some hardness and fatigue in the SR1a with my BM gear and some other Class D amps I tried. With my CODA 07x preamp, Musetec DAC, and also the VM-1a you do not get any of the hardness. I forgot if I heard the VM-1a with the Musetec 005 or the Benchmark DAC3L.

I got an offer today from someone to buy my CODA #8 amp (my current SR1a amp). I could easily buy the VM-1a if I sold the CODA #8, but I cannot get myself to sell it. It is too good on both my SR1a and when I rotate it to my Thel CS3.7 speakers. I am saving up for the VM-1a the old fashioned way.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2022 at 8:46 PM Post #4,893 of 7,847
Hi new forum member here, but long time occasional lurker. I just recently bought the SR1a and a Jotunheim R a few weeks back, and now have also received a VM-1a just today. I wanted to report that I also got the Mullard tubes with mine.

I'm just beginning to listen and burn in the VM-1a but can report that my initial impression is it sounds great. Definitely noticeably more power in Ultra-Linear vs Triode although I don't think it will matter on anything but tracks with very low recording levels. I had one test track of quietly recorded classical music another forum member had reported trouble with on the Jotunheim R and using that I was able to reproduce some clipping on the JR previously. With the VM-1a I can still create some clipping in Triode on that track, but Ultra-Linear totally solves the problem with headroom to spare. On that test track I've got the volume knob up to 18 in Ultra-Linear to be at a loud but still comfortable listening level. I suspect I'll use Triode often and flip to Ultra-Linear for quiet recordings or tracks I just want more SPL on. Haven't tried Pentode at all yet, but it's already clear to me that being able to switch modes will be a great feature.

My primary listening cans before the SR1a were Sennheiser 800s and I haven't touched them much except for quick A/B comparisons since getting the SR1a a few weeks ago. I'm sure I'll have more to report about the VM-1a as I get more listening time in the coming weeks.
Lots of headroom was one of the goals of the VM-1a for showing off the healthy dynamic range SR1a and our future headphones. We like thing without compression, so if the signal isn't already squashed, it will live freely :)

RAAL 1995 Stay updated on RAAL 1995 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/raalribbon https://raalribbon.com/
Mar 28, 2022 at 8:53 PM Post #4,894 of 7,847
Lots of headroom was one of the goals of the VM-1a for showing off the healthy dynamic range SR1a and our future headphones. We like thing without compression, so if the signal isn't already squashed, it will live freely :)
It shows! The headroom on the VM-1a vs the Jotunheim R is a big improvement for sure.

I've been listening mostly in triode the rest of today on non-classical music with a higher average volume level and it's clear that the VM-1a really makes the SR1a shine in a way that the Jotunheim R while fully capable at a base level just couldn't do. I've always had a preference for tube amps, so I'm unsurprised that I prefer the sound, but I've been very impressed at just how big the improvement is so far. I had been a little nervous springing for the VM-1a before there were more reviews to read, but very glad now that I did and I feel that while I have a lot more listening and burn in left to do it's already clear they unlock the full potential in a way that the Jotunheim R could not. Since I was late to the SR1a in general and knew I prefer tubes I haven't tried the HSA-1b, but I couldn't be happier with the initial impressions of the VM-1a.

Mar 28, 2022 at 8:54 PM Post #4,895 of 7,847
I've always preferred tube sound even with (sometimes but not always) some compromises in the sound.
And the EL-34 is a a very musically "ripe" engaging sound, whereas I've found the 6550 types to be more "muscular".
The HSA-1b is more versatile as it drives just about any type of HP I'm aware of except stats" where the VM-1a is the SR1a (and CR1a to come?) only I believe .
One of each would be appropriate for me. :smiley:
Driving the output tubes makes a lot of difference in sound of the tube. There's a school of thought that using brutal drive with the same tube as the output does things better, and we agree. Rolling tubes gets you only to a point, but brutal drive takes the sound to another level.

RAAL 1995 Stay updated on RAAL 1995 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/raalribbon https://raalribbon.com/
Apr 1, 2022 at 4:31 PM Post #4,896 of 7,847
Hi all! Been quite some time since I have posted on this forum 2013 or 14 I think. I have really enjoyed the thread, read the whole thing. I purchased my SR1a and Jot R late last year and have been enjoying it immensely. Like many of you the rest of my headphone go largely unused except when they overcome the few weaknesses I can find to the SR1a, a house full of noise or listening to sub bass heavy/reliant music.

I am quite interested in upgrading to either of the Raal-Requisite amplifiers. Is there a place I can compare both of them in the southern California area? Also my current DAC is a Schitt Yggdrasil OG but plan on upgrading that to a Totaldac d1-tube-mk2 at the end of the year and was wondering if it basically being single ended even its XLR inputs would be a problem for the VM-1a and if any one has any experience with this DAC on either amp.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2022 at 10:14 PM Post #4,897 of 7,847
I removed my SR1a convolution filter when I started using the SR1a with my CODA 07x preamp (solid state) and a Mustec 005 DAC. It replaced the Benchmark DAC3B and Benchmark LA4. I found the BM gear a bad match for the SR1a. Though I prefer the LA4 with my 2 channel speakers. The Benchmark AHB2 amp is actually a great match with the SR1a but it needs to be paired with the correct gear.

When I heard the RAAL VM-1a it sounded even better than all my preamp+ amp combos. I would not use the convolution filter with the VM-1a either. The filter removed some hardness and fatigue in the SR1a with my BM gear and some other Class D amps I tried. With my CODA 07x preamp, Musetec DAC, and also the VM-1a you do not get any of the hardness. I forgot if I heard the VM-1a with the Musetec 005 or the Benchmark DAC3L.

I got an offer today from someone to buy my CODA #8 amp (my current SR1a amp). I could easily buy the VM-1a if I sold the CODA #8, but I cannot get myself to sell it. It is too good on both my SR1a and when I rotate it to my Thel CS3.7 speakers. I am saving up for the VM-1a the old fashioned way.
That was the Benchmark DAC3L. best, Danny

Apr 2, 2022 at 9:18 AM Post #4,898 of 7,847
Hi all! Been quite some time since I have posted on this forum 2013 or 14 I think. I have really enjoyed the thread, read the whole thing. I purchased my SR1a and Jot R late last year and have been enjoying it immensely. Like many of you the rest of my headphone go largely unused except when they overcome the few weaknesses I can find to the SR1a, a house full of noise or listening to sub bass heavy/reliant music.

I am quite interested in upgrading to either of the Raal-Requisite amplifiers. Is there a place I can compare both of them in the southern California area? Also my current DAC is a Schitt Yggdrasil OG but plan on upgrading that to a Totaldac d1-tube-mk2 at the end of the year and was wondering if it basically being single ended even its XLR inputs would be a problem for the VM-1a and if any one has any experience with this DAC on either amp.

Thanks!
Yes, you can compare both in Ventura.

Apr 4, 2022 at 3:54 PM Post #4,899 of 7,847
hi @SageM are there any reviews of the VM-1a in the making? Also wondering what the power consumption is.

Apr 4, 2022 at 7:24 PM Post #4,900 of 7,847
hi @SageM are there any reviews of the VM-1a in the making? Also wondering what the power consumption is.

It would also be nice to have some internal shots of the VM-1a and a discussion about what parts were used in its construction. Information on this product is so limited.

Apr 5, 2022 at 1:37 AM Post #4,901 of 7,847
It would also be nice to have some internal shots of the VM-1a and a discussion about what parts were used in its construction. Information on this product is so limited.
Oh yes I would like that too. 👍

Apr 11, 2022 at 11:53 AM Post #4,902 of 7,847
Last I checked it was 250-300 ish. I'll update it and check again

Edit. Nah those where the numbers for hsa-1b. Vm1a sits at 160 constant once warmed up no matter output vol or mode.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2022 at 4:44 PM Post #4,903 of 7,847
I need to stop reading this thread until I get mine. My tracking went from Tuesday to Wednesday and I felt like a broken hearted teenager for a minute.
Very interesting what you say though, I wonder if this amps qualities will negate the "need" to the convolution filters
Hi
How is it going? Did you get the amp? what are your thought?

Apr 13, 2022 at 5:50 PM Post #4,904 of 7,847
Last I checked it was 250-300 ish. I'll update it and check again
I didn't have a kill-a-watt on hand to measure power usage, but have now borrowed one. In Triode mode once warmed up I get readings around 160-200 watts. In Ultralinear 160-200ish as well. I saw some short spikes up to around 220-240 in the first few minutes or so after turning on. Seems pretty stable in the 160-200 range once warmed up for 10 minutes though. This is in the US with the power supply in 115v mode. Not seeing 250-300ish at all in my case, but not sure if there are factors that would impact the measurement. I didn't seem to get any significant change in power usage by using the volume adjustment, changing music, or changing DAC/pre-amp output voltage into the VMA1.

Apr 14, 2022 at 12:09 PM Post #4,905 of 7,847
Hi
How is it going? Did you get the amp? what are your thought?
Hi RickyV,

Regrettably, I had to postpone my purchase. Something came up that took complete control of my cash flow. I will have nothing to share until I can reinstate my order at a later date. Makes me sad.....but life has a way of derailing $6500 amplifier purchases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back