Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Jul 19, 2020 at 10:02 PM Post #2,371 of 7,871
the fit is actually quite comfortable once you get used to it, the bass is actually very accurate if not sub bass deep like the abyss...the soundstage and detail is extraordinary

Jul 19, 2020 at 10:08 PM Post #2,372 of 7,871
Well initially I was wow'd at the detail too but then it devolved into fatigue, then I missed planar bass in comparison, the last straw was having to keep my head relatively upright and still all the time. In retrospect I personally think it's a gimmicky headphone but granted it's their first attempt, maybe their next will be more universal in appeal.

Jul 19, 2020 at 10:43 PM Post #2,373 of 7,871
I dont find it any more difficult to hold on my head than my abyss in fact it is easier and lighter....it is all subjective for sure

Jul 20, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #2,374 of 7,871
Well initially I was wow'd at the detail too but then it devolved into fatigue, then I missed planar bass in comparison, the last straw was having to keep my head relatively upright and still all the time. In retrospect I personally think it's a gimmicky headphone but granted it's their first attempt, maybe their next will be more universal in appeal.

You’re a bit rough i think when saying « gimmicky hp » :). It’s far from being the best build headphone, true lol, very far from an Empyrean for example. but on the other hand, it’s quite on the light side, and fit well for long period of time, at least for me. Time will tell, but up until now, i never had fatigue with Sr1a, although i couldn’t wear for example he1000se more than 15’ because of fatigue, or Utopia for the matter.. i had 2 great hp before Sr1a, d8000 and empyrean, which have the best bass on planar i heard, and so far, i don’t miss their bass, it goes deeper probably, but any others goes to Sr1a...
So overall, yes for me, it’s way ahead any other totl headphones...if you use a proper amp such as the jot r..otherwise could be underwhelming

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #2,375 of 7,871
You’re a bit rough i think when saying « gimmicky hp » :). It’s far from being the best build headphone, true lol, very far from an Empyrean for example. but on the other hand, it’s quite on the light side, and fit well for long period of time, at least for me. Time will tell, but up until now, i never had fatigue with Sr1a, although i couldn’t wear for example he1000se more than 15’ because of fatigue, or Utopia for the matter.. i had 2 great hp before Sr1a, d8000 and empyrean, which have the best bass on planar i heard, and so far, i don’t miss their bass, it goes deeper probably, but any others goes to Sr1a...
So overall, yes for me, it’s way ahead any other totl headphones...if you use a proper amp such as the jot r..otherwise could be underwhelming

Touché my friend, gimmicky may be too harsh, sorry. Just not my style, but I can see why people like it. :)

Jul 20, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #2,376 of 7,871
Touché my friend, gimmicky may be too harsh, sorry. Just not my style, but I can see why people like it. :)
No gimmicky is just right. After all, they're your ****ing opinions.

Jul 21, 2020 at 12:57 AM Post #2,377 of 7,871
It’ all good, we all have our standards and targets, which are different :)
I wonder what you currently own, seems you have too tried the best ones out there

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 6:19 AM Post #2,378 of 7,871
Hi All RAAL Requisit SR1A Owners,

Just pulled the trigger and ordered a set of SR1A's with the Conversion Box from a HiFi Dealer in Amsterdam, Netherlands (closest Dealer to the UK !).

Just couldn't resist after watching numerous YouTube videos, reading numerous reviews and reading over 50 threads on this forum.

It has taken me down a different upgrade path for now as my next headphone and speaker system upgrade was going to be a Chord Dave feeding my Grado GS3000e's (which I am very much enjoying directly connected to my Chord Hugo 2).

I will be connecting the SR1A's to my Chord Electronics Choral Speaker System in the UK (Blu MK1 to QBD76 DAC or Hugo 2 to Prima Pre-Amp to Chord Mezzo 140).

If the Mezzo 140 isn't enough power i.e. 120W RMS per channel into 8 ohms and 160W RMS per channel into 4 ohms, I will buy another Mezzo 140 and use them both as Power Bridged Mono's (As per the Chord Choral speaker system I have in Spain) to give 240W RMS per channel into 8 ohms and 320W RMS per channel into 4 ohms.

I just hope they as I expect from all the excellent reviews etc. and if I can sell my Grado GS3000e's if the SRH1A's

Jul 21, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #2,379 of 7,871
you will be pleased, I am currently using them with the schiit jotr and find the combo outstanding...I am sure different amp preferences will result in different subjective performance

Jul 21, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #2,380 of 7,871
you will be pleased, I am currently using them with the schiit jotr and find the combo outstanding...I am sure different amp preferences will result in different subjective performance
Hi jibrach,
Thank you for your positive posting.
I see from your amazing equipment itinerary that you have a Chord Dave & Blu MK2 and the Abyss PHI TC as well as the Raal SR1A.

I was thinking of the Abyss PHI TC and some people have said that if you have both the Abyss and the Raal you have the best complementary headphones on the planet.

How do the Raal and Abyss perform with Dave & Blu and the differences between them ?

Jul 21, 2020 at 3:55 PM Post #2,381 of 7,871
the abyss is the best traditional HP I have ever heard with the susvara right there with it....the raal is not a traditional HP it is truly like a loudspeaker on your head and really sounds like nothing else I have ever heard...it is so transparent and so detailed and has such a wide soundstage that when you take it off and listen to any other HP they will literally sound closed in and veiled even though they are fantastic in their own right...there are trade offs...the raal will not have the same gut level bass response that the Abyss does although it is very accurate and quite good....it also is so tranparent and so detailed that if you listen to poorly recorded music you will know it is poorly recorded the moment you start listening...also music with sibilance will be obvious as well...that said there is something special about this Raal and I imagine one can get better or worse performance with different amps

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #2,382 of 7,871
I agree with jlbrach. However, if the SR1a had as palpable, authoritative, and full sounding/endless bass as the 1266 TC, I would take a very long break from HeadFi or the HP industry.

That said, the SR1a and the TC do feel different enough to classify them as a complementary pair....in my opinion.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #2,383 of 7,871
the abyss is the best traditional HP I have ever heard with the susvara right there with it....the raal is not a traditional HP it is truly like a loudspeaker on your head and really sounds like nothing else I have ever heard...it is so transparent and so detailed and has such a wide soundstage that when you take it off and listen to any other HP they will literally sound closed in and veiled even though they are fantastic in their own right...there are trade offs...the raal will not have the same gut level bass response that the Abyss does although it is very accurate and quite good....it also is so tranparent and so detailed that if you listen to poorly recorded music you will know it is poorly recorded the moment you start listening...also music with sibilance will be obvious as well...that said there is something special about this Raal and I imagine one can get better or worse performance with different amps
Thank you jibrach. Much appreciated.

Jul 21, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #2,384 of 7,871
I agree with jlbrach. However, if the SR1a had as palpable, authoritative, and full sounding/endless bass as the 1266 TC, I would take a very long break from HeadFi or the HP industry.

That said, the SR1a and the TC do feel different enough to classify them as a complementary pair....in my opinion.
Thank you BrowChan.

Jul 21, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #2,385 of 7,871
Burning in my pair currently. I saw some discussion on aftermarket cables but read there can be issues with resistance based on length/conductor. Anyone have experience with cables for these yet? It'd be nice to add some more warmth/low end and maybe tone down the treble a bit. Every other headphone has benefited from a cable upgrade, I hope the RAALs can too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back