Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Jun 25, 2020 at 7:10 PM Post #2,341 of 7,842
I own the Sr1as myself. If it wasn’t for the lack of bass, the SR1as would be the best headphones you can buy. But, for me at least, bass is important to the genres I listen to, so the TCs are the best headphones you can buy. The SR1as are definitely 2nd, and I like them more than Susvaras, Utopias, Verite C, etc.

I will say, you can improve the bass on the SR1as by using the Jotunheim R and a tube preamp. Nowhere near TC quantity, but better than using the stock connector box.

Jun 27, 2020 at 2:38 PM Post #2,344 of 7,842
I have SR1A & JOT R since 3 weeks after painful wait of 3 months (customs). No headphone has made such an impression (including TOTL setups). I think I am still in the honeymoon period. But, 3 weeks is a lot of time. If an equipment(SR1A) is capable to reverse the sleep cycle straight for 3 weeks & still counting then its something else. Novel !

I am happy that I got SR1A. I am selling all my headphones (new & vintage), hp amps etc. I have no desire to get TOTL planars, estats,AMT,dynamics with TOTL amplification. What a relief !

A simple dedicated line out from my 5yrs old fiio x5 1st gen blows away my mind.
This shows the importance of a transducer. I never imagined that a transducer will play such a crucial role.

As far as the sound is concerned, I sometimes feel JOT R is a bottleneck.
I have experimented with SS (hpa4) & DHT tube preamp(soundgate otomon 45DHT). There has been noticeable improvement in overall SQ including sub bass resolution, extension & body. I am not using any sub bass shelf.

What surprises me the most is the level of transparency in vocals, grain free presentation, microdynamics & most importantly VOCAL COMPREHENSION which is hard to execute.

SR1A in my setup is never thin, plasticky, shrill, piercing with anemic bass & mids. Exactly opposite! I think the source (edit: amp as well) plays an important role here.

They are very specific with the quality of recording & upstream components. They also take EQ very well which is a bonus with not so good recordings.

I strongly believe that the fit is very tricky & the sound changes(improves) to a great extent if worn correctly.

Still a lot to explore. Excited! Thanks Raal Requiste :)

IMG_0511.jpg

SR1A with Otomon RCA 45 DHT tube hp/pre amp tung sol 717A driver tube, mono volume pot & tamura transformer.

IMG_0441.jpg
HPA4 as a preamp.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2020 at 7:27 PM Post #2,345 of 7,842
Edit: Don't worry about it - turns out I was just using a really badly paired set of interconnects that made everything sound screechy bright. Now it sounds fantastic! Great work everybody who was involved in making these!

I just received my SR1As and Jot R. I've been playing around with settings and notice that I prefer the sound with the hardware EQ compensation turned and EQ done in Roon's DSP. I once saw a frequency response curve for the Jot R - would anybody happen to have those measurements so I can recreate it in Roon? Thanks!

A visual, uncompensated frequency response graph would also be very helpful to generate an EQ from if anyone has or can make it! (Thanks in advance)[/S]

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2020 at 9:41 PM Post #2,346 of 7,842
Hello everyone,

I just received the RAAL SR1a with Jotenheim R from Moon Audio after waiting the weekend for it to get here, and to my dismay, they did not include a headphone cable! I only have a power cable, no cable to connect the headphones to the Jotenheim R.

Surely this package is supposed to come with a cable for $4,000?

Anyway, I have contacted Moon Audio about getting the cable shipped, but I know even if they cooperate it will take a few days to get here. I'd really like to try out my SR1a's now, so I was wondering, does anyone know which pins on the amp connector go to which pins on the headphone TRS connectors? In particular, I was wondering if one of these, two of these, and two of these would work.

If not, I can build my own cable for testing. I work in a lab with soldering equipment. I just need to know which pins connect to where. Anyone have this info?

Jul 1, 2020 at 6:47 AM Post #2,349 of 7,842
Jul 15, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #2,350 of 7,842
Thanks @Jon L , I'll keep that in mind. No one seems to want my Pass Labs amplifier and now I'm jonesing for a new "thin-Q" OLED GX-65 television (well, my plenty adequate and simple plasma TV/sound system needs upgrading to OLED television plus new speakers/sub(s), with A/V Receiver with ARC room correction). Maybe I'll stick with my Pass Labs plus Oppo PM-1 headphones (which do sound good together) and do the TV thing next. I've watched a couple of movies/documentaries lately which make me want "superior" sound in my Family Room! ("Stevie Nicks, Through the Looking Glass", "Johnny Winter, Down and Dirty", "I Can Only Imagine" (drama, about a band), "The Show Must Go On: Queen + Adam Lambert"). I refuse to watch some others, like "Rocketman", until I get a good sound system. Oh, "The Paul Butterfield Story" was spectacular also, and less spectacular (more self-serving) but really informative (to me) was "David Foster, Off the Record".

If/when I get the Raals I'll spend a couple of weeks with them and then, to see if serious improvement can be had (2% is serious, yes?), borrow some different interconnects; maybe something like high end Kimber, all copper... That sounds like a good way to become dissatisfied with what I already have! :)

Thanks again for your advice; and it would also be great to hear some opinions from the few people who already have HSA-1a amplifiers powering their SR-1a headphones!

And I'll report here, somewhere there must be a place, on how my new Family Room sound system sounds with a main sub plus a center channel sub (apparently, the "new way" to nirvana). When I get there.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2020 at 12:11 PM Post #2,353 of 7,842
hi all

just wondering what volume level people are using with the jot r?
all input is welcome!

cheers
Modern bass heavy tracks - 9:30 to 11:30
Normal tracks - 11 to 12:30
Quiet tracks - 12:30 to 2:30 or 3 depending on how quiet the track is
I use internal multibit DAC. I try to listen between 75-86dB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back