Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Jul 23, 2020 at 8:12 PM Post #2,401 of 7,885
as one who owns the combo I cannot comment on different amp combos but I do find the jotr with the raal to be a terrific combo and a bargain by todays standards for what I consider one of the pinnacle of HP's available....the raal is distinctive and as such a good complement to any other TOTL option
And it really is irrelevant. No headphone can scale to the SR1a no matter if using its interface or alternative current amplifier.

Jul 23, 2020 at 8:58 PM Post #2,402 of 7,885
Thanks, I did start using the Master 9 as a preamp and it improved the sound (smoother, a little more expansive and less in your face but just as tight/focused). I didn't turn off the baffle switch though, I don't think that's recommended for the SR1a. I'll try it just for kicks but I bet it'd be worse.

It's easy enough to try.
When I turn off BSC, I get the expected rolloff in bass. Initially, this will make the mid/highs much more clear and highlighted, a fun effect for a short period but not really neutral or enjoyable over long term. I mean, people complain there is not enough bass with BSC turned on.
There are other ways to use the Raal with BSC off; e.g. rolling in a subwoofer (or two) at the BSC curve's knee, using EQ before the amp, using really bass-rich preamp, etc. I imagine some may reach a sound signature they *prefer* this way but YMMV.

Jul 23, 2020 at 9:28 PM Post #2,403 of 7,885
Has anyone experienced troubles with their Jot R triggering the overtemperature protection?

Is there a possibility of trying to drive it too hard?

@Jason Stoddard

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2020 at 9:36 PM Post #2,405 of 7,885
That sounds like it's going into thermal protection. Are the vents uncovered?
It is doing exactly that. I'm more curious on its limitations. Of course the vents aren't covered.

Meaning, should I commission a Jot R build using a chassis with off-board heatsink as a work-around.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2020 at 1:28 AM Post #2,406 of 7,885
Meaning, should I commission a Jot R build using a chassis with off-board heatsink as a work-around.

I haven't run into Jot R going into thermal protection, but if I did, I'd probably avoid spending more money on a build and try A) running the Jot R with the cover off, or B) installing a quiet fan (maybe a Noctua fan installed just inside the top vent to draw off heat, externally powered).

Jotunheim on left and Jot R on the right.

Jot vs Jot R by drjlo2, on Flickr

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2020 at 1:34 AM Post #2,407 of 7,885
I haven't run into Jot R going into thermal protection, but if I did, I'd probably avoid spending more money on a build and try A) running the Jot R with the cover off, or B) installing a quiet fan (maybe a Noctua fan installed just inside the vent to draw off heat).

Jotunheim on left and Jot R on the right.

Jot vs Jot R by drjlo2, on Flickr
The question was more of a exercise. The amp wasn't running too hot, so it felt like a design compromise. One I am curious about.

The Jot build comment was a bit of cheek. I'm naturally going to Papa G for a direct-drive design more seriously.

Jul 24, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #2,408 of 7,885
From what I've read, the SR-1a headphones with the Jot-R sound better than almost any interface box plus amplifier/integrated amp pairing (up to, say $20,000). A couple of people have made $4,000 interface boxes from "better" parts, and there was a large improvement in sound quality - but it seems (and is logical) the Raal interface box is the weak link in an otherwise high-end Raal headphone system.

And at four times the cost, the Raals headphones with the HSA-1a supposedly sounds a clear amount better than with the Jot-R, and is the supposed current pinnacle of listening. Supposed...

Others can weigh in; but it seems to me paying $4,000 for the SR-1a headphones with Jot-R is a lot more efficient (and sounds better) than paying $500 less ($3,500) for headphones and Interface Box, and still needing to invest $3,000 to $15,000 in amplification that may not sound as good as the $4,000 package. Unless you already have a high-powered two-channel amplifier, and many enthusiasts do, once you've paid $3500 for the headphones with interface box, and $3000 for an amplifier, it makes $7,100 for the (supposedly markedly better combo of) SR-1a plus HSA-1a look like a bargain.

thanks Ive got the JotR and the SR1a now and they sound good but lack refinement in the top end, I have a speaker interface box coming next week and will try with a few amps to see how the JotR compares. I understand fully that for the money the JotR is phenomenal just seeing if I can tame the top end a bit with more refined amps

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #2,409 of 7,885
Welp. We have options. Little bird told me of uberamp2 direct-drive.

I've placed my order for HSA-1a from TSA. I guess we'll see if it's stocked inventory.

Jul 24, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #2,410 of 7,885
I'd love to hear the HSA-1a, but am very happy with my ABH2 driving SR1a off a m-scaled DAVE. It's exceptionally clean and I use a little digital EQ to tweak the sound to my preferences. This review (which you all have likely seen) provides a nice comparison of a few different amps. I LOVE my TC as well but plan to list them for sale this weekend. I was quite pleased with the fit and overall comfort relative to other traditional HP's, but now that I'm use to the SR1a (which simply disappears after a few mins) TC does feel more like a bulky contraction at times. Again, that's not a ding on what I consider the best semi-traditional HP money can buy, but SR1a is the clear winner for my taste. As a side note, my HP rig is on my nightstand in between my bed and a recliner. I spend more time lounging and laying down than I am upright and SR1a seems more functional to me and my particular head shape than TC.

https://www.headphones.com/blogs/ne...sise-sr1a-earfieldtm-monitor-headphone-review

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #2,411 of 7,885
I'd love to hear the HSA-1a, but am very happy with my ABH2 driving SR1a off a m-scaled DAVE. It's exceptionally clean and I use a little digital EQ to tweak the sound to my preferences. This review (which you all have likely seen) provides a nice comparison of a few different amps. I LOVE my TC as well but plan to list them for sale this weekend. I was quite pleased with the fit and overall comfort relative to other traditional HP's, but now that I'm use to the SR1a (which simply disappears after a few mins) TC does feel more like a bulky contraction at times. Again, that's not a ding on what I consider the best semi-traditional HP money can buy, but SR1a is the clear winner for my taste. As a side note, my HP rig is on my nightstand in between my bed and a recliner. I spent more time lounging and laying down than I am upright and SR1a seems more functional to me and my particular head shape than TC.

https://www.headphones.com/blogs/ne...sise-sr1a-earfieldtm-monitor-headphone-review
And that's fine. I am of the mind the SR1a's technical prowess is unmatched. Doesn't matter what it's being driven by.

But now, we have to exploit the SR1a and its ceiling.

Jul 24, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #2,412 of 7,885
The HSA-1a seems no more. Replaced by the HSA-1b. Which seems exhaustively silly and confusing. Same circuit and features of the revised 1/1 HSA-1a sporting 1 SR1a output and 1 conventional headphone output. Slated to drop sometime in late August as they've applied for recertification.

Jul 24, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #2,413 of 7,885
I have both the abyss TC which I love and the Raal and surprisingly to me the Raal is getting the bulk of play time thus far....everything has something you can complain about for sure nothing else compares to the sense of space and openness and remarkable detail retrieval the Raal provides...I get some sibilance with the Raal that I do not get with the TC and occasional edginess which I attribute to it exposing bad recordings faults that other HP's simply cannot....In a sense I find hearing the warts and all to be the flip side of hearing detail I have never heard before...it is a remarkable HP that I think is going to ultimately shake up the way we listen to headphones going forward

Jul 25, 2020 at 8:07 AM Post #2,414 of 7,885
So Kevin Gilmore brought up an interesting idea and I was wondering @Aleksandar R. did you guys perhaps try amps with a lower ohm tap?
Seems the Mcintosh with autoformers are a good candidate.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2020 at 10:41 AM Post #2,415 of 7,885
JotR problem with mid/high hardness 50% resolved :beerchug: I had an ungodly expensive balanced interconnect that is tipped up in the highs and switched it out for a canare star quad and wow much better. I loved the $$$$$ cable I other systems but beware the ruthless nature of the SR1a. May look towards fully copper cables I the future for now the star quad saved the day.

I am holding on buying the RAAL HSA as there may be other power amps and one box solutions in the future

RAAL system is Roon core - Lumin T2 - JotR - SR1a
alternate system for dynamics Roon core - Lumin T2 - GSX-mini - utopia - rad0 - he1000se

ps my mbp has a broken N key so please forgive if I miss an error

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back