RAAL-requisite CA-1a Circum-Aural Ribbon Headphone is here! @HeadAmp
Nov 26, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #363 of 1,049
Schiit currently has a close out sale of the Jotunheim R (new, not b-stock)
At the time of writing, all variants (mains voltage, digital options) are still available.
https://www.schiit.com/b-stocks

I took the chance to grab a Jotunheim R with ESS 9028 DAC card for $299 (same price with or without card).
Intended for a compact mobile stack.

Can even serve as reference to judge the sound of other amp/interface option, as Jotunheim R’s characteristics is widely discussed here.

BTW, out of curiosity, anybody know the exacting version of the ESS 9028 DAC chip used on their card?
Can’t find that info, not even from a photo of the card.

RME, e.g. uses the ESS 9028 QSM in their latest version of ADI-2 DAC FS, with specs about 10 dB better than Schiit published.
One has to admit, Schiit measured on the power amp outputs, so 115 dBA SNR is still sensational good.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2022 at 1:25 PM Post #364 of 1,049
So I just received the Star 8 cable, and using it with CA1a. First impression listening through the Lumin app (i.e. no EQ or filters), the bass is definitely lighter than the standard cable, but better defined with less bloom. Then I switched to Roon, apply Mitch’s bass boost filter (the same bass boost filter created for SR1a) and voila! The sound is perfect! The best I’ve heard from CA1a! Funny thing is I‘ve tried the bass boost filter using standard cable, and the effect wasn’t as good as what I’m getting with Star 8. I’ll be trying Star 8 with SR1a in a couple of days though.
Thanks for posting. I hadn't thought about trying the accurate sound SR1a convolution filters with the CA1a, but they work really well, especially the bass boost, Filter 2 I believe.

I didn't like any EQ profile for the CA1a but the filter is great. I'm using the older Star 6 silver cable from a HSA1b.

Dec 6, 2022 at 12:49 PM Post #366 of 1,049
@Aleksandar R. - Jason at Schiit confirmed the Jotunheim-A (for Audeze LCD-R) will also work with the RAAL's. Different shelf curves, so keep that in mind. I think the gain might be different, but it has plenty with the LCD-R.
It'll drive anything--headphones, speakers, Raals (the bass shelf is a bit different for Audeze, otherwise it's the same as the Jot R.) Also a little lower gain. I'd personally pick up a set of Raal circumaurals and call it a day, or get an adapter made so you can use the amp with any other headphone or nearfield speakers. It's perfectly safe, just designed for tons of current and low voltage.
Convenient little thing. One-box for Raals and most/some non-Raal HPs (all planars?).

Dec 16, 2022 at 10:44 PM Post #368 of 1,049
Would anyone be interested in CA-1a's built out of B-stock parts?

During the manufacturing, we've amassed quite a lot of parts with some type of flaws, like small scratches on the grills, little dents in the cups, tiny flaws on the headsprings that show after bead-blasting, packaging boxes with glue stains or dented corners...TI-1b boxes also with some small flaws here and there.
Ribbon drivers would be perfect, new, matched, triple tested, like always.
Transformers inside TI-1b also perfect.

Holidays are here so the idea is to make a nice (TBD) discount on that, if someone is interested.

We're quite busy and we don't plan to build a stock of such, so we'll build them only by request and do the build in late January '23.

Cheers,

Alex

RAAL 1995 Stay updated on RAAL 1995 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/raalribbon https://raalribbon.com/
Dec 17, 2022 at 7:10 AM Post #369 of 1,049

During the manufacturing, we've amassed quite a lot of parts with some type of flaws, like small scratches on the grills, little dents in the cups, tiny flaws on the headsprings that show after bead-blasting, packaging boxes with glue stains or dented corners...TI-1b boxes also with some small flaws here and there.

Holidays are here so the idea is to make a nice (TBD) discount on that, if someone is interested.

We're quite busy and we don't plan to build a stock of such, so we'll build them only by request and do the build in late January '23.

Cheers,

Alex
Hi, I'd be interested. You may write my name on the list. :)
Also sent you a PM just in case. Thanks!

Dec 17, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #370 of 1,049

Cheers,

Alex
I'm interested. You may write my name on the list :D
Cheers

Dec 17, 2022 at 3:23 PM Post #371 of 1,049

Cheers,

Alex
Do you already know the price?

Dec 17, 2022 at 9:04 PM Post #372 of 1,049
Okay!

I'm very glad that you're interested!

The flaws will be minor. They won't be in any way noticeable or attracting attention. We won't be sending you c..p, that's for sure and it will be almost a challenge finding them.
It seemed like such a pity of throwing those parts away, so it's great that they will find their homes, thank you!

The discount for this will be a hefty 25% off and shipping will be free, worldwide.

B-stock CA-1a+TI-1b = $1875.00 with free shipping

B-stock CA-1a naked = $1500.00 with free shipping

Let me know if you'd have any other needs, like deeper earpads (no surcharge) or longer Input cable for the TI (also 25% off together with this deal), or Banana Input cables, some customizing requests, etc.

I have already started to create the list, thank you, and we should wrap this up by 15th of January, as we'll come back from our winter vacation on 16th and do that first, before moving on with regular production.

Please PM me with your name, e-mail and country, so we can be in touch by e-mail, as I can track that better and it's easier to forward your details to Danny.

Thanks again, everyone! I am humbled by your pursuit for good sound.

RAAL 1995 Stay updated on RAAL 1995 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/raalribbon https://raalribbon.com/
Dec 18, 2022 at 11:15 AM Post #374 of 1,049
Do they ship from US or Europe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back