RAAL-requisite CA-1a Circum-Aural Ribbon Headphone is here! @HeadAmp
Nov 5, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #346 of 1,050
This is great to hear! I very much appreciate this approach.
I'm really glad that you do!

People sometimes think that EQ is there to fix everything that wrong with The Sound, but that's not the case.
It fixes the tone balance, but it won't bring out life if it's not there.

It's just what we did with SR1. Being a small open baffle, it starts rolling down from 2k, so we just used a slow shelving EQ, the Open baffle Compensation, to fix the tone balance.

Imagine what sort of an acoustical tool we would need for that. It would have to be a medium density felt of 1/2" thickness covering the ribbon, with some holes in it to pass enough highs...yep, it measures OK, does the job, but it totally kills the life in the ribbon. Those small vibrations of air that have miniscule amplitudes, a micron or less, are gone. Eaten up by fiber, wasted into friction. Dead.
The reason is diffraction and interference of waves inside the fiber-like medium of thickness comparable to the wavelength. You come in with a clean impulse and get out with a bit softened impulse with a tail, and more importantly, fiber moves by air vibration, and while it moves, it rubs against adjescent fibers and wastes the energy of the wave into friction. Amplitude and frequency dependent absorption...

So, if the only viable way to get the open baffle ribbon headphones on the market is doing electronic instead of acoustical compensation, I'm all for it :)

Ive had a show visitor in Warsaw last weekend that for the first time in his life, heard some musical detail, a tiny phrase, in a song that he knows and listens for years, thinking he knew everything there is to know about it.
Then he went off and listened to the same song at all the TOTL headphones and came back to tell me that now he can hear it almost everywhere, but with hard concentration, while on CA's he was just normally listening and it presented itself out of nowhere.

Whatever in the tone balance may be wrong to any individual listener with CA-1a, it can be helped with using a bit of EQ, but rest assured, you got the most life and intelligibility of sound that is possible to manufacture, any technology, any type of headphones.

RAAL 1995 Stay updated on RAAL 1995 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/raalribbon https://raalribbon.com/
Nov 6, 2022 at 1:12 AM Post #348 of 1,050
Does anyone have a non-proprietary EQ convolution file for the CA-1A that they would be willing to share?
To each their own, I use EQ myself. :) What do you mean "non-proprietary" EQ convolution file? Do you mean FIR filter tap set (i.e. linear phase filter) ?

I haven't actually computed one yet, though been meaning to. I have a miniDSP Flex digital between the sources and the DAC/amp stack. Currently using normal style EQ, but thinking of computing the FIR filter tap set to load into it then do it that way to get a cleaner frequency conversion, though I doubt it will be perceptible.

Nov 7, 2022 at 6:44 PM Post #350 of 1,050
@Aleksandar R. I just wanted to say it was a pleasure to talk to you at the Audio Video show in Warsaw. Highlight of the show for me for sure and it's probably going to lead to me owning CA-1A at some point in the future.
Thank you very much, Blizniak!
I can't explain you how much I have enjoyed hosting our table at HiFiPRO booth!
I'm pretty sure that I will remember each face of "my guests" the next year!

There is a plan that some time in February or March, HiFiPRO will host several enthusiast gathering events in their shops within 3-4 days, like Warsaw, Wroclaw and Krakow back-to-back, and I said count me in! We'll make a little tour, so we might meet again much sooner than a full year from now.

To me, all this doesn't have to turn into sales. Sales are great, but I'm aware of what kind of world we're living in these days. For now, my goal is to spread awareness of the technology and background of our products, and to learn what fascinates people. Your opinion matters so it's going to be just us guys talking about The Sound...

Nov 10, 2022 at 5:03 PM Post #351 of 1,050
I've tried the various EQ profiles listeners have posted here and elsewhere with the CA1a, but ultimately I keep coming back to un-EQed. I feel like there is an energy, ethereal quality of the ribbons that is lost with equalization on the CA1a. I'm not particularly treble sensitive and enjoy neutral-bright headphones so maybe that's why. I really like it, seems to be underexposed for some reason.

Nov 13, 2022 at 6:53 PM Post #352 of 1,050
@Aleksandar R. I'm happily listening to the CA-1a from a Schiit Jotenheim R<--- Schiit Lokius (EQ)<--- Schiit Bifrost 2<---Foobar 2000 on my PC. I was going to post non-EQ'd impressions before I realized my Lokius EQ was active..:face_palm: It sounds amazing! My eq was set to boost bass, and treble "presence" (last knob on right). Once I made a couple of adjustments, it sounds as good (if not better) than the Audeze LCD-R I had (I don't know how close the technologies are to each other). Next up is going to be from my Schiit Ragnarok 2 (via the TI-1b)<--- Schiit Freya<--- Loki Max (EQ)<--- Audio-gn R-8 MK 2 DAC<--- Bluesound NODE. Since I've already started listening to my smaller rig with the eq on, I see no reason to do anything different on my big rig. I am more than happy with the overall sound-quality! I have heard things in my music that other headphone miss...little sounds and mixing glitches that I first thought might be someone making noise in my room, but wasn't. I found the same noises and glitches after repeated listening which convinces me of just how resolving the CA-1a is!:ksc75smile:

I do have a couple of (okay three) requests based on my observations, if I may:

First, is there any way you can add more adjustment holes in the headstrap; and make them closer together? I have one of those odd-sized heads that falls between "normal" adjustments on most all things (i.e. Hats, helmets, headphones). My suggestion is to make maybe two or three more sets of holes while spacing them closer together for a "finer adjustment" in the fit.

Second: Can you possibly make (at least) the coffee bean earpads about 4-5mm deeper, adjusting the vent notches to maintain the sound quality? Along with an odd-sized head, I'm blessed with ears that are rather like air-brakes on a plane:elephant: and the tops are rubbing against the ribbon mesh inside the cup. An option of thicker pads would be a great help (If you can offer customs, by all means please contact me).

Lastly: Could you please offer longer stock cables for purchase? I understand about the impedance issues, but the Amp-to-TI-1b cable is a bit short for my setup. Is it possible to offer a slightly longer length cable (even a few additional inches/centimeters would be a great help (of course, if it's possible). And could the headphone cable be extended to 2 meters? The shorter cable make things harder for me because my amp sits a distance from my listening chair (i'm sorry, no picture because the room is a mess). Again, if impedance is an issue, I understand.

Thank you so much for offering these headphones! I'm listening to music as I type so I apologize for any song lyrics that may have shown up in the post. :ksc75smile: I hope these recommendations help, maybe they are something you could offer as a separate accessory to order if a listener needs. I can't count the number of times I had to order extended yoke rods for a certain company's planar headphones.

Cheers and All the Best!:beerchug:
-HK sends

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #353 of 1,050
Lastly: Could you please offer longer stock cables for purchase? I understand about the impedance issues, but the Amp-to-TI-1b cable is a bit short for my setup. Is it possible to offer a slightly longer length cable (even a few additional inches/centimeters would be a great help (of course, if it's possible). And could the headphone cable be extended to 2 meters? The shorter cable make things harder for me because my amp sits a distance from my listening chair (i'm sorry, no picture because the room is a mess). Again, if impedance is an issue, I understand.

-HK sends
You can extend the cable between amp and Ti1a/b almost unlimited without running into impedance problems.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #354 of 1,050
I had a chance to listen long time the Ca1a with the dedicated amplifier: it is an exquisite headphone.
Amir got it wrong, as usual, maybe wrong system? ..as often.

Nov 16, 2022 at 7:30 PM Post #356 of 1,050
@Aleksandar R. I'm happily listening to the CA-1a from a Schiit Jotenheim R<--- Schiit Lokius (EQ)<--- Schiit Bifrost 2<---Foobar 2000 on my PC. I was going to post non-EQ'd impressions before I realized my Lokius EQ was active..:face_palm: It sounds amazing! My eq was set to boost bass, and treble "presence" (last knob on right). Once I made a couple of adjustments, it sounds as good (if not better) than the Audeze LCD-R I had (I don't know how close the technologies are to each other). Next up is going to be from my Schiit Ragnarok 2 (via the TI-1b)<--- Schiit Freya<--- Loki Max (EQ)<--- Audio-gn R-8 MK 2 DAC<--- Bluesound NODE. Since I've already started listening to my smaller rig with the eq on, I see no reason to do anything different on my big rig. I am more than happy with the overall sound-quality! I have heard things in my music that other headphone miss...little sounds and mixing glitches that I first thought might be someone making noise in my room, but wasn't. I found the same noises and glitches after repeated listening which convinces me of just how resolving the CA-1a is!:ksc75smile:

I do have a couple of (okay three) requests based on my observations, if I may:

First, is there any way you can add more adjustment holes in the headstrap; and make them closer together? I have one of those odd-sized heads that falls between "normal" adjustments on most all things (i.e. Hats, helmets, headphones). My suggestion is to make maybe two or three more sets of holes while spacing them closer together for a "finer adjustment" in the fit.

Second: Can you possibly make (at least) the coffee bean earpads about 4-5mm deeper, adjusting the vent notches to maintain the sound quality? Along with an odd-sized head, I'm blessed with ears that are rather like air-brakes on a plane:elephant: and the tops are rubbing against the ribbon mesh inside the cup. An option of thicker pads would be a great help (If you can offer customs, by all means please contact me).

Thank you so much for offering these headphones! I'm listening to music as I type so I apologize for any song lyrics that may have shown up in the post. :ksc75smile: I hope these recommendations help, maybe they are something you could offer as a separate accessory to order if a listener needs. I can't count the number of times I had to order extended yoke rods for a certain company's planar headphones.

-HK send

Wow, thank you for the compliments!
I'm glad you're enjoying the sound.

Well, for the strap adjustment, I always end up using asymmetrical setting left-right. If I'm at the middle holes on the right, then I need 3rd holes row on the left.
I don't know what you've tried, but I guessed, perhaps wrongly, that asymmetrical use is fine enough.

We do have extra-deep pads on offer, 8mm deeper. They should be in stock in Ventura, CA, but I'm not sure. In any case, if you make a request to Danny, they will let me know if I need to send more.

Headphone cable length is pretty much set in stone. It loads the transformer secondary just right.
However, you can use any cable length between the amp and the TI box. No special requirements about resistance or inductance, so 5-10 meters, no problem.
Basically, the TI box goes where the headphone stand goes and the Input cable sets how far that is from the amp.

Anything you need as a separate order, customized in length, etc, just let us know and you'll have it. It may not be ready in a few days, but it won't take more that 2 or 3 weeks.

that's funny, about song lyrics in the post :)

Nov 17, 2022 at 3:09 PM Post #357 of 1,050
Wow, thank you for the compliments!
I'm glad you're enjoying the sound.

Well, for the strap adjustment, I always end up using asymmetrical setting left-right. If I'm at the middle holes on the right, then I need 3rd holes row on the left.
I don't know what you've tried, but I guessed, perhaps wrongly, that asymmetrical use is fine enough.

We do have extra-deep pads on offer, 8mm deeper. They should be in stock in Ventura, CA, but I'm not sure. In any case, if you make a request to Danny, they will let me know if I need to send more.

Headphone cable length is pretty much set in stone. It loads the transformer secondary just right.
However, you can use any cable length between the amp and the TI box. No special requirements about resistance or inductance, so 5-10 meters, no problem.
Basically, the TI box goes where the headphone stand goes and the Input cable sets how far that is from the amp.

Anything you need as a separate order, customized in length, etc, just let us know and you'll have it. It may not be ready in a few days, but it won't take more that 2 or 3 weeks.

that's funny, about song lyrics in the post :)
Thanks so much for replying! About the cables, I understand about the headphone cable length but I must of had a "brain-fart" (Technical Term) about the amp-to-interface cable. Thanks to you and @KaiSc for setting me straight.

For the headstrap, I have tried it tight, loose, and also asymmetrical and the fit is almost comfortable. That's why I suggested adding a couple extra sets of adjustment holes, space closer together. I need to put the round holes over the round pegs to fit my square head...😉.

Thanks for the information about the thicker pads, I will send Danny an email to set up an order.

-HK sends

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #358 of 1,050
...That's why I suggested adding a couple extra sets of adjustment holes, space closer together. ,,,

Thanks for the information about the thicker pads, I will send Danny an email to set up an order.

-HK sends
While setting up the thick pads order, note to Danny that you'll need a custom leather strap.

We will have a shipment to Danny on Wednesday and we'll prepare you a strap with additional holes and send it.
I just need to have Danny and David noted from your end, so they know who to send it to :wink:

Cheers!

Nov 17, 2022 at 6:30 PM Post #359 of 1,050
While setting up the thick pads order, note to Danny that you'll need a custom leather strap.

We will have a shipment to Danny on Wednesday and we'll prepare you a strap with additional holes and send it.
I just need to have Danny and David noted from your end, so they know who to send it to :wink:

Cheers!
Great, Thanks!
Cheers!:beerchug:
-HK sends

Nov 19, 2022 at 5:20 AM Post #360 of 1,050
So I just received the Star 8 cable, and using it with CA1a. First impression listening through the Lumin app (i.e. no EQ or filters), the bass is definitely lighter than the standard cable, but better defined with less bloom. Then I switched to Roon, apply Mitch’s bass boost filter (the same bass boost filter created for SR1a) and voila! The sound is perfect! The best I’ve heard from CA1a! Funny thing is I‘ve tried the bass boost filter using standard cable, and the effect wasn’t as good as what I’m getting with Star 8. I’ll be trying Star 8 with SR1a in a couple of days though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back