RAAL 1995 Immanis
May 9, 2024 at 5:47 PM Post #271 of 366
Fit: I don’t have a particularly big head, and am usually about 1/3 of the way up from the smallest fit setting on most HPs. I am slightly over the mid-point toward the largest setting on the Immanis, though. Those with big noggins might find themselves maxing out the adjustment range. (@littlej0e , are you bumping against the end of the adjustment range?) I think I recall hearing about this before, though, and that Aleks was looking at a tweak. Overall comfort seems great, though.

The adjustment range could be improved, though it doesn't affect me personally. The last 1-2'ish notches seem irrelevant as they no longer suspend the pad from the bridge, causing the pad to bunch up at the adjustment point instead.

For reference, I have a pretty big melon and tend to position my ear holes slightly below and back from dead center.

May 9, 2024 at 5:58 PM Post #272 of 366
To my ears, the DCA Stealth is also remarkably resolving (and is always resolving no matter what amp is used). I will need more time to assess how the Immanis and Stealth resolving ability compare. Both are amazing, though.
I am curious to hear your opinion here. I found the Stealth and Expanse in my system to be much better than the HE-1 + Chord Dave. I listened on multiple days for quite a while and was quite disappointed with it. And I was intimately familiar with Dave, after owning it for 2 years +. I also found the Stealth to have higher resolution than the Ca-1a. Bass is a bit lackluster, but tonality is spot on.

May 9, 2024 at 8:25 PM Post #273 of 366
I am curious to hear your opinion here. I found the Stealth and Expanse in my system to be much better than the HE-1 + Chord Dave. I listened on multiple days for quite a while and was quite disappointed with it. And I was intimately familiar with Dave, after owning it for 2 years +. I also found the Stealth to have higher resolution than the Ca-1a. Bass is a bit lackluster, but tonality is spot on.
The Stealth Bass really depends position. I can tell you it lacks for nothing off my Chord Hugo TT2/MSvaler combo with Riviera AIC 10.

May 10, 2024 at 3:16 AM Post #275 of 366
In case you haven’t noticed this is the Raal 1995 Immanis thread. Could you take your discussions about the Stealth to the Stealth thread please.

This is literally discussion about comparing the RAALs with the Stealth. Perhaps you should un-clench a bit? This site has mods for a reason.

Last edited:
May 10, 2024 at 3:32 AM Post #278 of 366
I mean, nfandi is trying to protect the Immanis against not the fairest of comparisons I guess and I guess I can sort of understand because of the price range, but Stealth and Expanse are still high end headphones, just like for example the (for now only) review of the Aegis amp is also comparing to another amp that's half its price.

But then look on the other side, they like it (Immanis and the others) better than HE-1 which is several times the price :p

Maybe I've got it wrong why the shoo here.

I think any impressions are fine in comparison

May 10, 2024 at 4:44 AM Post #279 of 366
I mean, nfandi is trying to protect the Immanis against not the fairest of comparisons I guess and I guess I can sort of understand because of the price range, but Stealth and Expanse are still high end headphones, just like for example the (for now only) review of the Aegis amp is also comparing to another amp that's half its price.

But then look on the other side, they like it (Immanis and the others) better than HE-1 which is several times the price :p

Not really; Immanis doesn’t need protecting from anything or anyone. It is what it is and people can like it or dislike it; makes no difference to me. I just got caught up in reading about HE-1 needs an external DAC or Stealth out of Chord Hugo TT2 etc and I over-reacted. Blood pressure levels now back to normal and waiting for my DIY clean-up kit and Pampers to arrive.

May 10, 2024 at 9:27 AM Post #281 of 366
It has gotten a bit personal here of late.
We are all excited about the new Raal offerings and it would be nice to focus on these hp without bickering.
We all have opinions and most of us like to be right.
Surely we can agree to disagree without being disagreeable.
But sir we were only disagreeably agreeing to disagree for a few minutes and then we smiled and 👍🏼. No need to increase the size of the mole hill.

May 10, 2024 at 12:13 PM Post #282 of 366

I've been part of too many of these hype trains to get excited anymore. So I thought I'd go straight to...how does it compare to what I currently consider the pinnacle of headphones. "Protecting" or evaluating products in a bubble based on personal preference, likeable creators, etc does everyone a disservice and creates an echo chamber. Products which are targeting the apex of their respective categories, and that their creators themselves say are state-of-the-art, should stand on their own. Regardless of what anyone says. People have been talking crap about dCS, hell, I talked crap about dCS for a year or so until i've heard their dacs and they blew my mind. Live and learn.
FWIW I place more stock in what Aleksandar says than most companies/owners in this hobby, so I'm sure the Immanis is great. I'm just not sure how it would align with my preferences. Hence the question regarding Stealth.
The Stealth Bass really depends position. I can tell you it lacks for nothing off my Chord Hugo TT2/MSvaler combo with Riviera AIC 10.
This is what I thought before I got Expanse as well. Now, I'm torn between them.

Last edited:
May 10, 2024 at 5:22 PM Post #283 of 366
People can keep calling it a hype train.. but... there are simply too many very well experienced, long time users (that mind you, are generally skeptical and more honest to begin with because of said experience), that keep typing the same things and having the same experiences. And for me personally, there are quite a few people in which my listening preferences align with that are all coming away with very positive feedback.

The very real caveat is that we're all doing so in meet conditions, so I do expect my POV to shift maybe a bit in some ways after receiving them. But no one is forcing anyone to buy anything and if you're super happy with what you have, stick with it. It's a more analytical headphone (but with seemingly better tone than other stats/ribbons--this is where I need in home time), so some may not like it, but that's to be expected of ribbons and stats and resolution is kind of the point.

May 10, 2024 at 5:31 PM Post #284 of 366
The very real caveat is that we're all doing so in meet conditions, so I do expect my POV to shift maybe a bit in some ways after receiving them.
This rings with me. I heard them at NYC but I wasn't blown away but that's comparing them to my SGL SR. They passed the test for a home audition. Some will love them and some will sell them. The story is yet to be told.

May 10, 2024 at 5:47 PM Post #285 of 366
This rings with me. I heard them at NYC but I wasn't blown away but that's comparing them to my SGL SR. They passed the test for a home audition. Some will love them and some will sell them. The story is yet to be told.

Yup, same here. I wasn't completely blown away either, just walked away feeling like they were up there in terms of a high end TOTL. It'll be very interesting comparing them both in house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back