RAAL 1995 Immanis
May 15, 2024 at 10:03 PM Post #301 of 412
having both, I vote for the envy although the 1b is quite versatile and solid....if you are going direct the VM-1a would be best IMHO
I'm still heavily considering a VM-1a for my incoming Immanis...

May 15, 2024 at 10:07 PM Post #302 of 412
owning it and loving it with my CA and SA I heard it briefly with the Immanis and canjam and it was outstanding

May 15, 2024 at 10:25 PM Post #303 of 412
I'm still heavily considering a VM-1a for my incoming Immanis...
Probably the best purpose-built amp for ribbons available (until the new 300B amp is released...but we'll see). The only other amps I've tried that get anywhere close are legit 2-channel speaker amps.

I do wonder about the uberamp though. Did that thing ever come to fruition?

May 16, 2024 at 12:38 AM Post #304 of 412
Direct plug and play for Immanis?

Without need for transformer interface box??

Which would be a better pairing, HSA1b or Feliks Envy with interface box??
The HSA -1b drives the Immanis with no interface box. And it drives it well. Really well. In fact, I was surprised how close it comes to the VM-1a.

In the name of science, I also tried the interface box out of the regular headphone XLR out on the HSA-1b to drive the Immanis. Don't do that. Doesn't sound all that great. Stick with direct drive on that amp.

I haven't heard the Immanis off the Envy, unfortunately, so I can't help there.

May 16, 2024 at 12:53 AM Post #305 of 412
I do wonder about the uberamp though. Did that thing ever come to fruition?
By uberamp, do you mean the upcoming Solaja Audio 300b? I think that'll still require the interface box, but supposedly sounds awesome. It was shown at Munich, but I haven't seen any impressions on it other than like a sentence from @simorag . I even started a thread to coax people to provide some--https://www.head-fi.org/threads/solaja-audio-amplifiers-impressions-thread.972799/#post-18117245--but no dice. I can't believe people weren't clamoring to get a listen at that show, but crickets. I'm hoping Danny is able to bring one to our local meet next month.

May 16, 2024 at 1:26 AM Post #306 of 412
By uberamp, do you mean the upcoming Solaja Audio 300b? I think that'll still require the interface box, but supposedly sounds awesome. It was shown at Munich, but I haven't seen any impressions on it other than like a sentence from @simorag . I even started a thread to coax people to provide some--https://www.head-fi.org/threads/solaja-audio-amplifiers-impressions-thread.972799/#post-18117245--but no dice. I can't believe people weren't clamoring to get a listen at that show, but crickets. I'm hoping Danny is able to bring one to our local meet next month.

No, sir, but very good to know about the new big pappa Solaja. How in the hell did no one get a listen on that?!?

I vaguely remember reading some folks talking about an amp built specifically for ribbon headphones based on Kevin Gilmore's circuit design. Guess it never came to fruition. That really sucks. Based on how good the CFA3 is, you would think it would generate a lot of interest.

Last edited:
May 16, 2024 at 1:34 AM Post #307 of 412
No, sir, but very good to know about the new big pappa Solaja. How in the hell did no one get a listen on that?!?

I vaguely remember reading some folks talking about an amp built specifically for ribbon headphones based on Kevin Gilmore's circuit design. Guess it never came to fruition. That really sucks. Based on how good the CFA3 is, you would think it would be generate a lot of interest.
Ah, I got it now--totally misunderstood initially. A Kevin Gilmore design direct drive would be pretty epic.

May 16, 2024 at 1:50 AM Post #308 of 412
Quite simple, the Solaja Amplifiers were not available at Munich High End.

Only those who went to the Hifideluxe Show were able to audition them.

Personally I didn't manage to squeeze that one in as well

May 16, 2024 at 2:06 AM Post #309 of 412
Quite simple, the Solaja Amplifiers were not available at Munich High End.

Only those who went to the Hifideluxe Show were able to audition them.

Personally I didn't manage to squeeze that one in as well
Ah, ok. So there are two different shows at two different locations in Munich happening at the same time? Didn't realize they weren't connected. Even so, I would have thought someone would have attended hifideluxe and listened to the Solaja.

May 16, 2024 at 2:38 AM Post #310 of 412
Ah, ok. So there are two different shows at two different locations in Munich happening at the same time? Didn't realize they weren't connected. Even so, I would have thought someone would have attended hifideluxe and listened to the Solaja.
Yes two different shows, not far from each other.
I think there was even a shuttle from one to the other.
The one with the Solajas Was much smaller and more quiet

However since my Immanis order is already in and my amp of choice is also already with me I didn't go the extra stets.

May 16, 2024 at 3:17 AM Post #311 of 412
Direct plug and play for Immanis?

Without need for transformer interface box??

Which would be a better pairing, HSA1b or Feliks Envy with interface box??
I own the HSA-1b and the SR-1a and CA-1a Raal phones. I had an Envy PE at home for 2 weeks and was able to compare with the HSA. With the HSA and Raal phones the Accurate Sounds convolution filters are a ‘must have’ for me and my ears, otherwise some recordings e.g. orchestral music with strong brass sections can be a little too strident, a little uncomfortable. With the convolution filters this completely disappears and the sound is good. With the Envy I didn’t need the filters and I think the sound was more addictive, it had a quality that the HSA just could not match. Bear in mind that this was my first experience at home with a tube headphone amp, but if I was choosing just one of them I would choose the Envy. On the other hand I think the best solution is to keep both amps and use the Envy as a pre-amp into the HSA as well as each amp independently. If I was considering an amplifier just for Immanis I would not consider the HSA; it was developed originally to power the SR-1a and it does that very well when used with the convolution filters but I think Immanis will be at its best with high quality tube amps in my very humble opinion. That of course might change once Mitch has a chance to work his convolution magic……or not! In your situation I’d recommend you talk to Danny at Raal-Requisite in Ventura Ca. He’s heard the various direct drive and upcoming new amps from Solaja and SAEQ as well as the Envy and should be able to offer you some sound advice…
Edit: I should add that both the HSA-1b and VM-1a are discontinued and the only direct drive amp currently listed by SAEQ is the HSA-1c. The development from 1b to 1c was aimed at making the amplifier better for dynamic and planar phones and did not ‘upgrade’ the amp in any way for the Raal phones. There is also a tube amplifier manufacturer in Germany, the name currently escapes me, that offers a ‘modular’ approach and can offer a direct drive option.

Last edited:
May 16, 2024 at 2:48 PM Post #312 of 412
just find a VM-1a..best solution of all

May 16, 2024 at 3:09 PM Post #313 of 412
delete

May 16, 2024 at 4:19 PM Post #314 of 412
just find a VM-1a..best solution of all
Best solution for SR-1a/b and CA-1a for sure but I doubt 😕 that’s true for Immanis once you experience the new 300B and EL34 amps from Solaja. I doubt very much that the new amps will sound worse than the VM-1a, and there’s little point releasing them if they’re not ‘better’ than the VM-1a. Time will tell once they’re available for audition. I very much look forward to your thoughts once you have a chance to hear them.

May 16, 2024 at 8:55 PM Post #315 of 412
Best solution for SR-1a/b and CA-1a for sure but I doubt 😕 that’s true for Immanis once you experience the new 300B and EL34 amps from Solaja. I doubt very much that the new amps will sound worse than the VM-1a, and there’s little point releasing them if they’re not ‘better’ than the VM-1a. Time will tell once they’re available for audition. I very much look forward to your thoughts once you have a chance to hear them.

I don't know. I think it will all depend and time will tell. I was a bit disappointed to hear that the new 300B amp wasn't direct drive, as that does seem to unlock something for the Raal headphones. However, it still sounds very interesting and I'm sure it'll still be an amazing amp. Just will have to wait for a lot more impressions between the two and try to hear for myself.

I heard the Immanis at Axpona w/the Envy and VM-1a. First starting out on the Feliks and then moving to the Vm-1a. I was a bit surprised that the Immanis sounded a bit better on the VM-1a vs. the Envy, although admittedly I had never heard the Envy. Danny mentioned that he was eager to hear my thoughts the differences I heard, and after I shared, he agreed with the assessment. Ultimately the Felix sounded a bit softer overall and less authoritative in the bass. You can see the detailed point in the last bullet of this post in my thread here. Comparatively though, someone may prefer that sound of the Felix for it, particularly if Ribbons may be a bit too aggressive to begin with. And lastly, to be very clear, I found it very good off the Feliks and I would've never thought twice about it if I hadn't moved over to the VM-1a. In fact, I almost didn't because I had limited time and there was one person on it. They just happened to get up as I was preparing to leave. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back