RAAL 1995 Immanis
May 17, 2024 at 10:50 AM Post #331 of 415
Are you kidding me? Utopia's kick like a horse, more powerful than the Caldera, though Caldera wins in everything else for me.
But it's definitely interesting to hear that Immanis is even better.. that's gonna be a treat to hear.
@BrainSalat referenced two aspects of bass: slam and "deep and unbounded" bass. I've owned Susvara, Caldera, and both generations of Utopia, currently own Magna and spent two full days with no sleep with Immanis in my home on my system. Although my time with Immanis did not overlap Susvara and Utopia, from memory, I would say the Immanis have the deepest reaching bass of all of them, and this is added to the type of mid-bass slam you are accustomed to with Utopia. The Immanis have it all. I know no one will believe it until they hear it themselves, but I found it to be true.

Last edited:
May 17, 2024 at 10:50 AM Post #332 of 415
4.5 more days and I'm gonna be in audio heaven eh....

May 17, 2024 at 12:16 PM Post #334 of 415
The Immanis bass is astonishing, actually. Shockingly fantastic.
I've said it before but I continue to feel that "air of an estat with the impact of a dynamic" is a great way to describe ribbons.
My favorite driver type.

May 17, 2024 at 5:41 PM Post #335 of 415
Me too, 70 in April.
Let's be real - this is an audiophile forum. We are all old men here, to one extent or another. :wink:

May 17, 2024 at 5:43 PM Post #336 of 415
The Immanis are a different beast (or complementary) compared the Susvaras, they are more vivid/exciting with great dynamics and slam (I believe more than Utopias) and they have some impactful, deep and unbounded bass that never experienced on any other headphone (Susvaras and Utopias lack quite bit on that department without EQ). Resolution-wise is as or more resolving than Susvaras (hard to tell exactly because the treble has a different presentation on the Immanis, a bit more pronounced which I also believe make them feel more aired). Soundtage-wise it felt bigger and more 3D compared susvaras with a superb separation of instruments and insane clarity (susvaras also but presented differently, less vivid).
Wow, those are some REALLY big claims. In any case, I don't see any of that as a "different beast" than Susvara at all, rather just a bit more of everything, perhaps?

@BrainSalat referenced two aspects of bass: slam and "deep and unbounded" bass. I've owned Susvara, Caldera, and both generations of Utopia, currently own Magna and spent two full days with no sleep with Immanis in my home on my system. Although my time with Immanis did not overlap Susvara and Utopia, from memory, I would say the Immanis have the deepest reaching bass of all of them, and this is added to the type of mid-bass slam you are accustomed to with Utopia. The Immanis have it all. I know no one will believe it until they hear it themselves, but I found it to be true.
If this is true, I suspect it would be my endgame. Sell the rest, and live happily ever after. :) Which, frankly, sounds too good to be true. But I eagerly and hopefully await my demo. :)

Last edited:
May 17, 2024 at 6:06 PM Post #337 of 415
Let's be real - this is an audiophile forum. We are all old men here, to one extent or another. :wink:
Well... I don't know

If this is true, I suspect it would be my endgame. Sell the rest, and live happily ever after. :) Which, frankly, sounds too good to be true. But I eagerly and hopefully await my demo. :)

Yeah, so far it sounds like my end-game, will probably keep my Caldera cause I like it, we'll see how complementary it is and if it's worth keeping (Caldera), though the problem is switching headphones when they are not just there on a headphone stand together beside you with a cable ready to reach the amp at all times.

and another question to @nfandi , you keep talking about the Immanis being great and all but don't own it yourself or ready to buy it? Kinda sus, unless I missed the part that you're awaiting yours.

May 17, 2024 at 6:11 PM Post #338 of 415
Yeah, so far it sounds like my end-game, will probably keep my Caldera cause I like it, we'll see how complementary it is and if it's worth keeping (Caldera), though the problem is switching headphones when they are not just there on a headphone stand together beside you with a cable ready to reach the amp at all times.
I am a big proponent of having multiple options at my disposal. I think if you have just one of anything, no matter how great it is, you will soon become accustomed to it and forget just how good it is. Audio is all about variance from a baseline, so having 2 things that contrast each other is sort of key in keeping your brain conscious of just how good you have it.

That said, the idea of selling everything and having just that ONE perfect headphone is VERY enticing.

May 17, 2024 at 6:16 PM Post #339 of 415
Wow, those are some REALLY big claims. In any case, I don't see any of that as a "different beast" than Susvara at all, rather just a bit more of everything, perhaps?

@chrisnyc75 yours will be an interesting feedback, especially as you will have the chance to hear it through the Stellaris. And your deep experience with the Susvara and Utopia will add to the body of impressions we are slowly accumulating. I cannot say if my "truth" will be the same as yours, but I am sure you will have fun listening to arrive at your own. Enjoy your weekend.

May 17, 2024 at 6:43 PM Post #340 of 415
A friend of mine lugged over his Susvaras this morning for a direct comparison with the Immanis.

Ribbon vs planar preferences aside, pretty much the only thing Susvaras seem to do better is "brain denting" or spatial image impact. For the uninitiated, some notes can provide illusionary impacts or "dents" at precise locations within the three-dimensional image. Susvaras seem to leave a bit more impactful "dents" compared to the Immanis. Other than that, the Immanis beat Susvarsas in pretty much every other respect. In some cases, by a wide margin. However, keep in mind this doesn't include aesthetics, comfort or value as these are highly subjective.

May 17, 2024 at 6:45 PM Post #341 of 415
A friend of mine lugged over his Susvaras this morning for a direct comparison with the Immanis.

Ribbon vs planar preferences aside, pretty much the only thing Susvaras seem to do better is "brain denting" or spatial image impact. For the uninitiated, some notes can provide illusionary impacts or "dents" at precise locations within the three-dimensional image. Susvaras seem to leave a bit more impactful "dents" compared to the Immanis. Other than that, the Immanis beat Susvarsas in pretty much every other respect. In some cases, by a wide margin. However, keep in mind this doesn't include aesthetics, comfort or value as these are highly subjective.
Curious as to what amp was used?

May 17, 2024 at 6:46 PM Post #342 of 415

To anyone who isn't intimately familiar with Susvara this probably makes no sense. But as a Susvara owner, I know exactly what you mean. This is perhaps my favorite thing about Susvara. But would I miss it if I could have more of everything else? :thinking: TBD.

May 17, 2024 at 6:47 PM Post #343 of 415
Curious as to what amp was used?
2 amps:

- Pass Labs X250.5 (which is a good notch or so below the VM-1a, which just left for repairs) + TI-1b + Immanis.
- Hifiman EF1000 (best amp I have ever personally heard with Susvara) + Susvara
- I tried the Susvaras with the X250.5 using a custom headphone transformer, but the EF1000 was significantly better. That amp gives Susvara so much more subtlety, delicacy, grip and coherence compared to every other amp I have heard.

Last edited:
May 17, 2024 at 6:51 PM Post #344 of 415
2 amps:

- Pass Labs X250.5 (which is a good notch or two below the VM-1a) + TI-1b with the Immanis.
- Hifiman EF1000 (best amp I have every personally heard with Susvara).
- I tried the Susvaras with the X250.5 using a custom headphone transformer, but the EF1000 was significantly better.
How was the EF1000 with Immanis?

May 17, 2024 at 6:51 PM Post #345 of 415
To anyone who isn't intimately familiar with Susvara this probably makes no sense. But as a Susvara owner, I know exactly what you mean. This is perhaps my favorite thing about Susvara. But would I miss it if I could have more of everything else? :thinking: TBD.
This is SO true haha... I don't think most will understand, but I did my best to describe it.

The short answer to your question is...I highly doubt you'll miss it based on all the other attributes in play.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back