RAAL 1995 Immanis
May 7, 2024 at 10:33 AM Post #241 of 368
However, since I will use mostly with my DAP N30 Cayin, i wonder if the Immanis is sensitive enough to be powered with a (very powerful) DAP ?
I'm intrigued by this question, so I quickly tested it using my SP3000. I played a pop song through the 4.4mm output connected to Caldera and Immanis via a Silver Dragon 4.4mm-to-XLR4 adapter cable.

With Caldera it required a setting of 50 to reach my satisfied volume while Immanis required 80 for the same perceived volume. Considering the SP3000’s maximum output volume of 150, there should be ample headroom for listening to higher-dynamic music.

The sound quality is decent, but using a dedicated amp would yield better results from the Immanis.

May 7, 2024 at 1:45 PM Post #242 of 368
I'm intrigued by this question, so I quickly tested it using my SP3000. I played a pop song through the 4.4mm output connected to Caldera and Immanis via a Silver Dragon 4.4mm-to-XLR4 adapter cable.

With Caldera it required a setting of 50 to reach my satisfied volume while Immanis required 80 for the same perceived volume. Considering the SP3000’s maximum output volume of 150, there should be ample headroom for listening to higher-dynamic music.

The sound quality is decent, but using a dedicated amp would yield better results from the Immanis.
Thanks for the report

May 7, 2024 at 4:29 PM Post #243 of 368
Was is the best I ever heard the CA-1a? No, but it drove it to acceptable levels.
I mean...acceptable is extremely relative. My Ferrum Oor + Hypsos drove the Stealth to acceptable levels, but I preferred the Ca-1a off it. Once I got the HM1, the Stealth just leapfrogged it that I no longer found the Ca-1a "acceptable".

May 7, 2024 at 6:03 PM Post #244 of 368
I mean...acceptable is extremely relative. My Ferrum Oor + Hypsos drove the Stealth to acceptable levels, but I preferred the Ca-1a off it. Once I got the HM1, the Stealth just leapfrogged it that I no longer found the Ca-1a "acceptable".
I don’t understand the point you’re making. The discussion is about using a DAP to drive the Immanis; what has the Ferrum Oor got to do with a DAP?

May 8, 2024 at 6:31 AM Post #245 of 368
I don’t understand the point you’re making. The discussion is about using a DAP to drive the Immanis; what has the Ferrum Oor got to do with a DAP?
I mean, the Ferrum Oor is one of the most powerful desktop amps, so it hardly compares to the Fiio. The Hm1 even has less power, but more current than the Oor stack, yet it didn't drive the Ca-1a as well as the Oor. I just don't see any ribbon driver working well with a portable. Hell the consensus seems to be even full sized powerful headphone amps via the TI-1B adapter don't sound as good as speaker amps.
After my previous experience with the Ca-1a, I'm not sure the Immanis would be driven to its full potential by the Hm1 (or non speaker amps/ Saeco/Raal amps). As amazing as it might be, I would just go with a Meze Elite/ Utopia for a portable. I hated my Stealth with the Fiio RM17, Chord Mojo, to the point that I just used my Airpods pro 2 instead when travelling. Full system or bust pretty much. Just my 2 cents.

May 8, 2024 at 7:43 AM Post #246 of 368
I mean, the Ferrum Oor is one of the most powerful desktop amps, so it hardly compares to the Fiio. The Hm1 even has less power, but more current than the Oor stack, yet it didn't drive the Ca-1a as well as the Oor. I just don't see any ribbon driver working well with a portable. Hell the consensus seems to be even full sized powerful headphone amps via the TI-1B adapter don't sound as good as speaker amps.
After my previous experience with the Ca-1a, I'm not sure the Immanis would be driven to its full potential by the Hm1 (or non speaker amps/ Saeco/Raal amps). As amazing as it might be, I would just go with a Meze Elite/ Utopia for a portable. I hated my Stealth with the Fiio RM17, Chord Mojo, to the point that I just used my Airpods pro 2 instead when travelling. Full system or bust pretty much. Just my 2 cents.
The consensus you refer to was about 5 years ago when the SR-1a was first launched with the TI-1a interface and that indeed needed speaker amps of 100W or more. You appear not to have read much about Alex’s objectives for Magna and Immanis. With the new 32Ohm interface both phones can be driven by most quality headphone Amps be they tube or solid-state depending on your preference. We’re not talking about a portable situation; Magna or Immanis cannot function either without the interface or a direct drive amplifier, neither of which I’m pretty sure will fit comfortably in a jacket or shirt pocket. Alex personally uses an iBasso DX320 Max with the Immanis; this is a transportable solution for use in hotel rooms etc., but it is certainly not for portable listening.

May 8, 2024 at 10:02 AM Post #247 of 368
The Hm1 even has less power, but more current than the Oor stack, yet it didn't drive the Ca-1a as well as the Oor.
After my previous experience with the Ca-1a, I'm not sure the Immanis would be driven to its full potential by the Hm1 (or non speaker amps/ Saeco/Raal amps).

While I agree the CA-1a sounds better off the VM-1a than off the HM1, I'm not sure that has anything to do with the HM1 lacking power. When using the Mitch filters and TI-1a interface, the HM1 drives my SR-1a just as well as the VM-1a does.

May 8, 2024 at 4:31 PM Post #248 of 368
You appear not to have read much about Alex’s objectives for Magna and Immanis. With the new 32Ohm interface both phones can be driven by most quality headphone Amps be they tube or solid-state depending on your preference.
I mean I am a bit sick of marketing. I did own the Ca-1a with the Ti-1b and Star 8 + Mitch filters. It was my favorite headphone until I got the HM1. Part of the reason I never really used them anymore was that the foam on them just carpet burned my skin raw after a few months. The other part was the huge improvement the HM1 made for the Stealth. That said, even now there are ton of reports by people claiming the VM-1a is so much better than anything else, speaker amps are, etc etc.

While I agree the CA-1a sounds better off the VM-1a than off the HM1, I'm not sure that has anything to do with the HM1 lacking power. When using the Mitch filters and TI-1a interface, the HM1 drives my SR-1a just as well as the VM-1a does.
I mean if it's just synergy...that's another matter. I found the Ca-1a had a bit less slam, sounded a bit thinner on the HM1 than the Oor. Detail retrieval went up considerably, but I found them more enjoyable in Class A+ (brought back some of that slam) than class A + servo, and that was the only headphone where this was true. Stealth still sounds cleaner than anything else out there to me, Expanse included. I would love for the Immanis to be an improvement, even though the price is a tough pill.

May 8, 2024 at 5:36 PM Post #249 of 368
I mean I am a bit sick of marketing. I did own the Ca-1a with the Ti-1b and Star 8 + Mitch filters. It was my favorite headphone until I got the HM1. Part of the reason I never really used them anymore was that the foam on them just carpet burned my skin raw after a few months. The other part was the huge improvement the HM1 made for the Stealth. That said, even now there are ton of reports by people claiming the VM-1a is so much better than anything else, speaker amps are, etc etc.

I mean if it's just synergy...that's another matter. I found the Ca-1a had a bit less slam, sounded a bit thinner on the HM1 than the Oor. Detail retrieval went up considerably, but I found them more enjoyable in Class A+ (brought back some of that slam) than class A + servo, and that was the only headphone where this was true. Stealth still sounds cleaner than anything else out there to me, Expanse included. I would love for the Immanis to be an improvement, even though the price is a tough pill.
I’m sorry for your raw skin (seriously?) and I’m glad you enjoy your Dan Clark phones. I don’t know what marketing you’re talking about. A thinner sound to your CA-1a means your expensive amplifier isn’t capable of providing enough current. Immanis is more gentle and less hungry, though nobody will force you to buy it.

May 8, 2024 at 5:52 PM Post #250 of 368
I mean I am a bit sick of marketing.
No marketing, Magna and Immanis are simply more efficient (higher dB/W) than previous RAAL headphones so they don't need as much power anymore.
Thus Alex being able to drive them fine from a portable DAP.

May 8, 2024 at 5:53 PM Post #251 of 368
A thinner sound to your CA-1a means your expensive amplifier isn’t capable of providing enough current.
You might want to read more on the HM1 if you think that is the issue. More current is exactly what improved the Stealth over my Oor stack. Expensive as it may be, still cheaper than the Immanis. I look forward to hearing it some day.

May 9, 2024 at 2:53 PM Post #254 of 368
Today reinforced my opinion on Immanis and Magna.

They are amazing and absolutely worth the hype.
The Star8 upgrade cable is very noticeable on the Magna and a "must have" imo.(never tried Immanis without)
Yet the Immanis is the superior headphone. Grander in its presentation with way better bass.

Looking forward to my unit, and selling the Corina and whatever else it takes for them was the right call.

Tomorrow I'll try to get the He1 audition and Envy AE + Immanis back to back.
My money is on the latter.

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 3:10 PM Post #255 of 368
Today reinforced my opinion on Immanis and Magna.

They are amazing and absolutely worth the hype.
The Star8 upgrade cable is very noticeable on the Magna and a "must have" imo.(never tried Immanis without)
Yet the Immanis is the superior headphone. Grander in its presentation with way better bass.

Looking forward to my unit, and selling the Corina and whatever else it takes for them was the right call.

Tomorrow I'll try to get the He1 audition and Envy AE + Immanis back to back.
My money is on the latter.
Did you try it out on the amps that were there or just focus on AE pairing?

I've been holding off waiting to see if we'll get a UK dealer but the more impressions I read the more the patience to get a pair dwindles...😅

Users who are viewing this thread

Back