RAAL 1995 headphones, Magna and Immanis
Apr 23, 2024 at 5:02 PM Post #1,276 of 1,619
I pre-ordered Magna the minute they were announced. My impulsiveness is paying off, something that rarely happens. I should have them Thursday or Friday. I think Danny got two, although there are no cases for them in the US yet. Given the Immanis is still weeks (months?) away. I decided to keep my Magna order intact and realize some more immediate gratification. I fully expect to have both eventually, so why not start with Magna?

A lot has been written about bass in the last few pages here. I feel compelled to weigh in, even if philosophically.

I've heard bass in the Knitting Factory NYC, and also in the Concertgebouw in Amsterdam. Very different, to say the least. Is there a headphone that can take you to both places and represent the different intentions of the typical music for those two storied venues? In my own experience, some do get closer than others in respect to versatility. There are plenty of headphones that reproduce A LOT of bass. Bass that slams, compresses, overwhelms. Often (not always) this is accomplished with headphones that have very tight seals and a lot of clamp force. Even more often, this quantity of bass is rather indistinct in terms of pitch specificity, or texture. This character can be a lot of fun with some genre, but less so in a Mahler symphony. Those folks on the right side of the stage with the instruments bigger than they are, they are actually making specific pitches, lol. The accuracy and reach into those wavelengths is a litmus test for my own listening. No matter the genre, I want quality there over quantity, even if simple quantity is fun sometimes. The sensation of blunt compression on the eardrums is not a measure of bass quality, I don't think.

My short experience with the Magna and Immanis last month suggested to me that they have absolutely incredible reach into the lowest frequencies. It is impactful, but remains textured and accurate. I did not at all find it overwhelming or overblown. I also remember really, really appreciating the way Susvara worked in the deep. Especially since the Susvara's performance came, for me, with excellent comfort and moderate clamp. I think Susvara lovers will really like the new Raal headphones.

I think most of us would be happy to listen to music at both the Knitting Factory (ear plugs in) and the Concertgebouw, and any sort of tribalism introduced to disparage one vs. the other would correctly be laughed out of the space. This is an exciting new(ish) technology enriching the hobby we all find important. I'd rather this forum follow such sentiment.

If these opinions do not get me chased off the thread, or further abused on various discord, I'll be pleased to share more long term Magna impressions after the weekend.

Happy listening!

Apr 23, 2024 at 5:24 PM Post #1,277 of 1,619
I pre-ordered Magna the minute they were announced. My impulsiveness is paying off, something that rarely happens. I should have them Thursday or Friday. I think Danny got two, although there are no cases for them in the US yet. Given the Immanis is still weeks (months?) away. I decided to keep my Magna order intact and realize some more immediate gratification. I fully expect to have both eventually, so why not start with Magna?

A lot has been written about bass in the last few pages here. I feel compelled to weigh in, even if philosophically.

I've heard bass in the Knitting Factory NYC, and also in the Concertgebouw in Amsterdam. Very different, to say the least. Is there a headphone that can take you to both places and represent the different intentions of the typical music for those two storied venues? In my own experience, some do get closer than others in respect to versatility. There are plenty of headphones that reproduce A LOT of bass. Bass that slams, compresses, overwhelms. Often (not always) this is accomplished with headphones that have very tight seals and a lot of clamp force. Even more often, this quantity of bass is rather indistinct in terms of pitch specificity, or texture. This character can be a lot of fun with some genre, but less so in a Mahler symphony. Those folks on the right side of the stage with the instruments bigger than they are, they are actually making specific pitches, lol. The accuracy and reach into those wavelengths is a litmus test for my own listening. No matter the genre, I want quality there over quantity, even if simple quantity is fun sometimes. The sensation of blunt compression on the eardrums is not a measure of bass quality, I don't think.

My short experience with the Magna and Immanis last month suggested to me that they have absolutely incredible reach into the lowest frequencies. It is impactful, but remains textured and accurate. I did not at all find it overwhelming or overblown. I also remember really, really appreciating the way Susvara worked in the deep. Especially since the Susvara's performance came, for me, with excellent comfort and moderate clamp. I think Susvara lovers will really like the new Raal headphones.

I think most of us would be happy to listen to music at both the Knitting Factory (ear plugs in) and the Concertgebouw, and any sort of tribalism introduced to disparage one vs. the other would correctly be laughed out of the space. This is an exciting new(ish) technology enriching the hobby we all find important. I'd rather this forum follow such sentiment.

If these opinions do not get me chased off the thread, or further abused on various discord, I'll be pleased to share more long term Magna impressions after the weekend.

Happy listening!
Mark your impressions are far more valid than most of the rubbish that’s starting to emerge. You played a real musical instrument in a real orchestra and know what real instruments sound like. I cannot abide people who make negative comments about something they’ve not heard. I have no problem with people who have different preferences for different phones, that’s normal, but to make negative statements about something never heard really makes me angry. I enjoy hearing about your experiences.

Apr 23, 2024 at 5:48 PM Post #1,278 of 1,619
FYI, I just watched the Bloom Audio video recap of CanJam Singapore, and there's about a 5-minute interview with @Aleksandar R. starting at the 17:35 mark. General discussion of Raal 1995 begins at the 16:05 mark. Cheers.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2024 at 5:48 PM Post #1,279 of 1,619
Sounds like there is something wrong with his chain, no?
Could be his preferences, hearing ability, head shape, etc.
In my case, I don't find the Susvara to be shrill, even on tracks with poorly mastered instruments or vocals (i.e., added sibilance)

Apr 23, 2024 at 5:54 PM Post #1,280 of 1,619
Mark your impressions are far more valid than most of the rubbish that’s starting to emerge. You played a real musical instrument in a real orchestra and know what real instruments sound like. I cannot abide people who make negative comments about something they’ve not heard. I have no problem with people who have different preferences for different phones, that’s normal, but to make negative statements about something never heard really makes me angry. I enjoy hearing about your experiences.
Hi @nfandi, good to read you here again. I hope it hasn't come to all that, hopefully this fraternity (genderless, of course) stays fun and uncontroversial. The future is a long time and there's lots of listening to do!

Apr 23, 2024 at 5:59 PM Post #1,281 of 1,619
FYI, I just watched the Bloom Audio video recap of CanJam Singapore, and there's about a 5-minute interview with @Aleksandar R. starting at the 17:35 mark. General discussion of Raal 1995 begins at the 16:05 mark. Cheers.

Very cool, thanks for sharing. I love "unbridled dynamics"

Apr 23, 2024 at 6:44 PM Post #1,282 of 1,619

Happy listening!
I very much agree that bass quantity, quality, and physical sensation are 3 very different things (I've been to Knitting Factory, too, and perhaps more to the point TWILO :wink:), and I think it takes a significant amount of time analyzing different presentations to truly understand, much less be able to verbalize where a particular transducer excels at each thing and where it does not. I think most people presume that adding a few dB bass shelf on any EQ equals "more better" bass, and that really just isn't so at all. But I digress.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2024 at 7:22 PM Post #1,283 of 1,619
I very much agree that bass quantity, quality, and physical sensation are 3 very different things (I've been to Knitting Factory, too, and perhaps more to the point TWILO :wink:), and I think it takes a significant amount of time analyzing different presentations to truly understand, much less be able to verbalize where a particular transducer excels at each thing and where it does not. I think most people presume that adding a few dB bass shelf on any EQ equals "more better" bass, and that really just isn't so at all. But I digress.
early-mid 90s Knitting Factory was a party. I wish I'd known the importance of ear plugs, but I can say the same for all the thousands of hours in orchestra. That is also really loud. I think I am happy to be very agnostic, even if I am also a ribbon fan boy. I like Utopia, Susvara, HD800, Stax, etc. I find value in all of them even if I have decided for myself the Raal just have the most value for me of everything. I am quick to point out: for me. I look forward to reading your reactions when you finally get to try them, especially through the lens of a Utopia/tube and Susvara listener.

Apr 23, 2024 at 7:28 PM Post #1,284 of 1,619
early-mid 90s Knitting Factory was a party. I wish I'd known the importance of ear plugs, but I can say the same for all the thousands of hours in orchestra. That is also really loud. I think I am happy to be very agnostic, even if I am also a ribbon fan boy. I like Utopia, Susvara, HD800, Stax, etc. I find value in all of them even if I have decided for myself the Raal just have the most value for me of everything. I am quick to point out: for me. I look forward to reading your reactions when you finally get to try them, especially through the lens of a Utopia/tube and Susvara listener.
Agree that this is all very personal and subjective, and I go back to what I said yesterday: I don't think anyone (other than perhaps an experienced ribbon/Raal fanboy) should be blind-buying either of these headphones.

That said, I've been exchanging emails with Danny lately, considering putting my name on the list for either a demo or a [refundable] purchase. My good sense tells me I do not need this, but when has any of this hifi thing ever been about good sense? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Apr 23, 2024 at 7:40 PM Post #1,285 of 1,619
Agree that this is all very personal and subjective, and I go back to what I said yesterday: I don't think anyone (other than perhaps an experienced ribbon/Raal fanboy) should be blind-buying either of these headphones.

That said, I've been exchanging emails with Danny lately, considering putting my name on the list for either a demo or a [refundable] purchase. My good sense tells me I do not need this, but when has any of this hifi thing ever been about good sense? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
My last five cars were purchased with no test drive and they cost a lot more than an Immanis, lol. Your point is well taken, especially for those who have not heard ribbons yet. For those, like me, taking their SR1 to the grave, it is a different proposition.

Apr 23, 2024 at 10:07 PM Post #1,286 of 1,619
Hi @Aleksandar R. May I ask you...what is the VERY BEST amp to drive your new beauties with? Is there a new amp coming also?
There is no straight answer to that.

What I recommend is to use the amp that you already like.
If you're more inclined to Solid State amps, then something of those would be best for you. Same if you prefer tubes...

Whatever you do, Immanis and Magna will transfer very well the sound of your gear.

RAAL 1995 Stay updated on RAAL 1995 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/raalribbon https://raalribbon.com/
Apr 23, 2024 at 10:43 PM Post #1,287 of 1,619
Apr 23, 2024 at 11:00 PM Post #1,288 of 1,619
Hi Alex,

This is from your Raal intro back in February of both the Magna and Immanis:

Screen Shot 2024-04-23 at 7.43.22 PM.png
Would you have anything more to add and perhaps help those choosing between these two new ribbon headphones?
I understand the orders for Immanis are greater than the Magna at this point perhaps because we, as audio kooks, tend to go with the TOTL offerings with FOMO!
I prefer a more forward sound and my 'go to' hp is the Susvara, but I have 0 experience with any Raal hp and have not heard any of the models.
I have ordered the Immanis..........and I am intrigued by:

"Immanis adds more of everythingt to that!" compared to the Magna.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 12:39 AM Post #1,289 of 1,619

The difference in $ between the two is going to be less than the anxiety and stress I will go through wondering how much better Immanis is.

Apr 24, 2024 at 1:26 AM Post #1,290 of 1,619
The difference in $ between the two is going to be less than the anxiety and stress I will go through wondering how much better Immanis is.
For me, it's not about the cost but which SQ I would prefer.
Most that have heard both versions say the Immanis is not lacking in detail and that is my biggest concern. I'd happily give up warmth for detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back