RAAL 1995 headphones, Magna and Immanis
Apr 22, 2024 at 9:09 PM Post #1,246 of 1,601
I absolutely don't believe in a "King of the Hill" when it comes to headphones whatsoever. There is no one perfect headphone that most will simply universally like. And even the most expensive headphones have tradeoffs, that much immediately reinforced when I tried the Aperio at the same show I heard the Immanis. Primary reason I will never own less than three TOTL cans if I can help it.

The challenge early on is that we're all listening primarily in sub-optimal (meet) conditions. The show I was at was pretty noisy. I could tell that I enjoyed them and that they were in a similar top tier a few other TOTL headphones (x9k, probably the Shang Sr. etc). I didn't find the highs offensive and the lows seemed sufficient, but I could be wrong on that initial assessment to a degree, but we'll see. I don't think it's much about hype, rather it will take better conditions and time to better understand things most may not love about them.

But the highly positive impressions are just too consistent, and from a lot of people that have heard many of the top offerings out there. Even before I heard them, that + the fact that I've owned the Sr1a/CA-1a and have familiarity made it a no-brainer purchase.
As the old adage goes: I have something for everyone and everything for someone :)

RAAL 1995 Stay updated on RAAL 1995 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/raalribbon https://raalribbon.com/
Apr 22, 2024 at 9:13 PM Post #1,247 of 1,601
But the highly positive impressions are just too consistent, and from a lot of people that have heard many of the top offerings out there. Even before I heard them, that + the fact that I've owned the Sr1a/CA-1a and have familiarity made it a no-brainer purchase.
I'm fortunate enough to have tested them at CanJam NYC but even if I hadn't I think this would have been enough to get me to pull the trigger. I love my CA-1a and everyone who has put the Magna/Immanis on their head has had something good to say about it.

I think it's a pretty safe bet for anyone who already likes the RAAL sound and has the money to spare. Can't wait to provide more detailed comparisons for everyone.

Apr 23, 2024 at 2:34 AM Post #1,249 of 1,601
I’ve spoken with others who thought the Immanis was off. Specific, handclaps didn’t sound correct. Hotel California from Hell Freezes Over at the end of the track for reference. Just the messenger. I’m on the list for a pair but I want to get them on my system before making any purchase decision.
I played Hotel California (Hell Freezes Over) with the Sus and and LCD-5 snd I agree that the hand clapping at the end does not sound ‘right’ on the Sus or 5 so I’m not surprised it may not sound right through the Immanis either.

The Eagles sound great on this live track so I will speculate that they weren’t too particular about recording clapping and cheering at the end of this track.

I just played ‘Keith Don’t Go’ and the cheering and hand clapping sound way more accurate on that live track.

I’m staying with my thought that micing the audience is not a priority and a lot of clapping sounds unnatural and an bit off.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2024 at 3:43 AM Post #1,250 of 1,601
Oh and there has been at least two people I've seen so far say they still prefer SR1a over the new RAALs

The experience is very different, so I find this very normal. I still like the SR-1b myself, even with the Magna being here

No single headphone is perfect guys, never forget that. On top of that we all like to hear different things, so 1 headphone can't be liked by everyone.
That said, headphones like the Susvara, Abyss, Diana, Magna, Corina, and many more are really good high-end headphones. Just not the Utopia, that one is awful. Kidding, I know a lot of people like it, but it is one of the only 2 headphones I ever sold.

I have been listening to the Magna on the Envy, Headonia and Armageddon today. While all 3 very good, I do already have a clear preference. I still have to test many more amplifiers though.

I also have to admit I exaggerated a little when I said I could hear the Magna 2 rooms away. But it is an open headphone, so sound will leak out and it all depends on how loud you play it. Maybe it's more like 1 room at my preferred listening volume. :wink:

Apr 23, 2024 at 5:32 AM Post #1,251 of 1,601
Regarding no reviews with critiques, here's the review from @simorag where he says too much treble in the Immanis makes it edgy and unforgiving. He also used the words dry and emotionally detached. But this was fixed with changes to his chain.

https://6moons.com/audioreview_articles/simones-tale-in-three-parts/2/
Those comments by @simorag were made in contrast to his Valkyria which he describes as borderline dark. So the comment about Immanis is not with reference to its deviation from neutral but how he hears it relative to the dark Valkyria. Taking part of a comment out of context to what the owner actually wrote is how false rumours are made.

Apr 23, 2024 at 6:25 AM Post #1,252 of 1,601
Immanis is definitely interesting, will have to read this thread, some people are saying that they are not worth it though, to quote someone on Discord:
You get a lot more bass than either cheaper RAAL but it’s almost too much, and they didn’t really improve the midrange and treble from the SR1
It’s a lot of bass but it’s also still limp and lacking impact, so it sounds like a cheaper headphone that was eqed poorly

Apr 23, 2024 at 7:29 AM Post #1,253 of 1,601
Immanis is definitely interesting, will have to read this thread, some people are saying that they are not worth it though, to quote someone on Discord:
Go and audition them and then come back here to tell us if this nameless/systemless person is giving us a more accurate portrayal of Immanis than @simorag, the only person who currently owns it, and MokhaMark who had Magna and Immanis at home for a weekend. To most people headphones at this price will never be worth it, but don’t let the words of a complete stranger make your mind up for you.

Apr 23, 2024 at 7:40 AM Post #1,254 of 1,601
Go and audition them and then come back here to tell us if this nameless/systemless person is giving us a more accurate portrayal of Immanis than @simorag, the only person who currently owns it, and MokhaMark who had Magna and Immanis at home for a weekend. To most people headphones at this price will never be worth it, but don’t let the words of a complete stranger make your mind up for you.
I really do want to Audition the Immanis, and perhaps buy it, I love the looks, and curious about the technology, I've heard it's as fast as \ faster than Electrostatics, but still manage the bass of Planars, best of both worlds. I'm not going for dedicated amp since I'm happy with my current setup (Holo Stack)

I've asked this person on Discord after his comment about his amp, he said the Jotunheim R.

I know someone who currently owns the SR1, but I'm not using headphones for his own reasons, he actually decided on SR1 instead of Susvara cause he wanted earspeakers basically. I use headphones cause they don't need acoustic optimizations and provide a great sound and detail, I'm definitely happy with my Caldera, I just want to go further than Susvara by a mile if that's a thing, and hopefully it doesn't break like the Susvara.

Apr 23, 2024 at 7:45 AM Post #1,255 of 1,601
I've heard it's as fast as \ faster than Electrostatics, but still manage the bass of Planars, best of both worlds
They manage the bass extension of planars but the Sensation is quite different.
I believe there is much bigger Exkursion on these ribbons and they therefore move more air towards your eardrum.

That's also one of the reasons why they are so open, to save your eardrums from too much pressure.

However the point was, the impact is much more like a dynamic driver but with the bass extension of a planar

Apr 23, 2024 at 7:58 AM Post #1,256 of 1,601
I really do want to Audition the Immanis, and perhaps buy it, I love the looks, and curious about the technology, I've heard it's as fast as \ faster than Electrostatics, but still manage the bass of Planars, best of both worlds. I'm not going for dedicated amp since I'm happy with my current setup (Holo Stack)

I've asked this person on Discord after his comment about his amp, he said the Jotunheim R.

I know someone who currently owns the SR1, but I'm not using headphones for his own reasons, he actually decided on SR1 instead of Susvara cause he wanted earspeakers basically. I use headphones cause they don't need acoustic optimizations and provide a great sound and detail, I'm definitely happy with my Caldera, I just want to go further than Susvara by a mile if that's a thing, and hopefully it doesn't break like the Susvara.
Read through the thread, it’s very interesting. MokhaMark used a Jot R and an SR-1a when he wrote his comparisons with Magna and Immanis. I also have the Caldera and can say, for me, it’s nowhere near the same level as Immanis. But of course it entirely depends on what presentation you like from your phones and you could still prefer the Caldera. If you’re curious about the technology why not try to get a listen to the CA-1a, ideally driven by the VM-1a. There are a number of people on here who own Susvara but listen to CA-1a/VM-1a more. Magna is a step up from Susvara (contentious), and Immanis is a step up from Magna (also contentious). I’d suggest you keep reading this thread to see how things develop once more people have taken ownership of the new phones.

Apr 23, 2024 at 10:29 AM Post #1,257 of 1,601
I don't know who asked about driver tubes for wm1a, in any case I would like to recommend this Tung-sol 6su7gty tall glass, which is a special and reinforced selection of the 6SL7WGT. The sound is soft and of great weight, great magic with solo piano, where it adds lush resonances to the music.

Attachments

• IMG_1778.jpeg
    IMG_1778.jpeg
    1,019.5 KB · Views: 0
Apr 23, 2024 at 10:34 AM Post #1,258 of 1,601
I am looking forward with pleasure to the visit of Aleksandar R. with his headphones in Lyon (France) on the weekend of June 15/16 at Casques Headphones to compare it on site with the best electrostatics.
A moment of truth because there will probably be 5 or 6 owners of Shangri Senior and/or Stax 9000…
We all hope he will be there :)

Apr 23, 2024 at 11:05 AM Post #1,259 of 1,601
I am looking forward with pleasure to the visit of Aleksandar R. with his headphones in Lyon (France) on the weekend of June 15/16 at Casques Headphones to compare it on site with the best electrostatics.
A moment of truth because there will probably be 5 or 6 owners of Shangri Senior and/or Stax 9000…
We all hope he will be there :)
Oh, boy, that's some tough crowd!
Maybe you'll catch me topping up everyone's wine glass! :wink:

I'll book a plane ticket these days, so see you at Charles' place!

RAAL 1995 Stay updated on RAAL 1995 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/raalribbon https://raalribbon.com/
Apr 23, 2024 at 11:11 AM Post #1,260 of 1,601
We were putting out some "fires" today, but we'll have them assembled tomorrow and take a few shots..

Did this happen at the end? :)
Going to stay on original, but just curious...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back