RAAL 1995 headphones, Magna and Immanis
Apr 22, 2024 at 2:27 PM Post #1,216 of 1,587
Another user that found the Magna punchier/richer/more exciting than Immanis yet 90% of orders are for Immanis...
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/can...d-april-6-7-2024.972338/page-13#post-18079925

While the Magna vs Immanis battle might be cloudy, one thing is very clear: Both headphones sit at the very top of the entire market. Every single experience I read from someone testing either of these, they are in love with it.
I heard both with my VM-1a and the Magna is like a better CA-1a and the Immanis like a smoother SR1a. I am going with the Immanis.

Apr 22, 2024 at 2:41 PM Post #1,218 of 1,587
That's fair but I would also say there's headphones out there that simply don't have bad reviews. Susvara, Shang Sr, HE-1, Aperio I don't think anyone has ever found them to be bad. Pointed out areas for improvement or flavor preferences, sure, but I don't think anyone has ever outright not liked them, at least very few people have. If a headphone manages to portray music close to how it would sound in real life, how could anyone find flaw in that? They might prefer some kind of color but they can't honestly say the headphone is flawed.

Out of the TOTLs I think it's just the ones that have quirks or something unique about them that are divisive like SR-X9000 and AB1266, otherwise people generally appreciate when good is good.

Oh and there has been at least two people I've seen so far say they still prefer SR1a over the new RAALs, so yeah, not every review has been OMG BEST EVER but every review has at least acknowledged they are special.
I found the Magna gave me a bit of fatigue during my demo. The CA-1a also gives me a bit of fatigue but I listen to the CA-1a a lot these days since I sold my SR1a. That fatigue is only with certain types of music and is not a showstopper.

The SR1a never game me fatigue with the proper amp(s), and the Immanis seems like an even more correct sound that I can listen for hours. I listened to the SR1a for hours each day in 2023. I was working late at night everyday. To my ears the Immanis is much better than the SR1a. I think that this difference is much more than the CA-1a and the Magna.

I am now questioning my original desire for the new phones to have wings like the SR1a. I do not think I will suffer from that loss of that unique SR1a soundstage. The overall sound of the Immanis is much better.

I spoke to a dealer who heard the Immanis at the Axpona show with different gear than I demoed it with, and he said he liked the SR1a more. I told him that was shocking for me to hear.

Apr 22, 2024 at 2:52 PM Post #1,219 of 1,587
That's fair but I would also say there's headphones out there that simply don't have bad reviews. Susvara, Shang Sr, HE-1, Aperio I don't think anyone has ever found them to be bad. Pointed out areas for improvement or flavor preferences, sure, but I don't think anyone has ever outright not liked them, at least very few people have. If a headphone manages to portray music close to how it would sound in real life, how could anyone find flaw in that? They might prefer some kind of color but they can't honestly say the headphone is flawed.
Maybe not in formal published reviews, but in discussions both online and in person I've met a number of people who have disliked all of those headphones you listed. I met a guy who owned the Susvara and sold it because he found that it "sucked the enjoyment out of everything". I've read a number of impressions from different people who have similar views on the Sus. Yesterday in the Grand Cayman amp thread, a user was critical of the Shang Sr. I've elsewhere encountered people who flat-out disliked the Shang Sr - saying it tried too hard to sound resolving and technical that it sounded wrong in the end. I've read other comments that the X9000 + T2 outclasses the HE-1. No headphone receives universal praise.

I must commend Raal for not hyping up these headphones themselves. It seems many companies these days are collaborating with reviewers to hype up their wares and Raal seems to be doing little or none of that. I appreciate that, and I appreciate the depth of Aleksandar's responses to questions. These are still some of my most anticipated headphones that I'd like to demo. I've simply become cynical and wary of products that seem to get showered with little other than praise because I have not encountered any headphone that is beloved by all.

Apr 22, 2024 at 3:14 PM Post #1,220 of 1,587
Apr 22, 2024 at 3:53 PM Post #1,221 of 1,587
I have been following this thread, being the owner of the SR-1b, DCA Stealth, and JM Audio Editions XTC-C 2.5, along with previously owning Kennerton and Audeze models. And yes, there are those who have not liked the sound of many of these, the main complaint being the bass. No one should be surprised at this. IMO, most headphones have way too much bass, and underdamped bass at that. I am not saying the Immanis or Magna have too much or underdamped bass, but the sure way in my mind to garner negative reviews is to produce either too little or overdamped bass, like with the SR-1b and the Stealth. Again, my take on SR-1b and Stealth bass is that they prioritize bass quality over quantity. Most of the posts on this thread sing the praises of the new RAAL phones, again, probably because their bass is prominent. Since I have heard neither I am probably in no position to judge these phones, but others like their bass. Just sayin'.

Apr 22, 2024 at 3:53 PM Post #1,222 of 1,587
To me, that's what gives me pause about these headphones. Consider me unfair, cynical, or both, but I don't trust a product until I see one not-glowing review. Until then, it's just the latest hype train. I don't need a negative review, just one that goes "this is nice, but..." A review that brings up potential downsides or simply things that people might not like about a headphone.

I'm not trying to be a downer on this headphone, I'm trying to be cautious about a very expensive headphone with very interesting technology that seems to perform extremely well, which are all of the parts needed to build a giant hype train. I just don't think it's possible that everyone will love a certain headphone. Every headphone has its critics, no matter how advanced or well-built or carefully tuned. I'm very curious about it, and I wish my schedules worked out better so I could have heard it myself at AXPONA. I look forward to trying it out in the future.
at this point I think the reason for what you speak of is that the early enthusiasts are those who already fans of the outstanding ribbon designs so naturally those people like myself would be fans of the new models....my guess is like any product we will ultimately see people review them who are partial to planars or other models...one thing I can guarentee is the ASR crowd will hate them and mock anyone paying more than 200 dollars for any audio product

Apr 22, 2024 at 4:02 PM Post #1,223 of 1,587
at this point I think the reason for what you speak of is that the early enthusiasts are those who already fans of the outstanding ribbon designs so naturally those people like myself would be fans of the new models....my guess is like any product we will ultimately see people review them who are partial to planars or other models...one thing I can guarentee is the ASR crowd will hate them and mock anyone paying more than 200 dollars for any audio product
Amir thought the CA-1a was "excellent" and "something wonderful" after EQ fwiw. The CA-1a was designed to be EQed after all, according to Aleksandar.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/.../raal-requisite-ca-1a-headphone-review.38080/

Apr 22, 2024 at 4:08 PM Post #1,225 of 1,587
I have been following this thread, being the owner of the SR-1b, DCA Stealth, and JM Audio Editions XTC-C 2.5, along with previously owning Kennerton and Audeze models. And yes, there are those who have not liked the sound of many of these, the main complaint being the bass. No one should be surprised at this. IMO, most headphones have way too much bass, and underdamped bass at that. I am not saying the Immanis or Magna have too much or underdamped bass, but the sure way in my mind to garner negative reviews is to produce either too little or overdamped bass, like with the SR-1b and the Stealth. Again, my take on SR-1b and Stealth bass is that they prioritize bass quality over quantity. Most of the posts on this thread sing the praises of the new RAAL phones, again, probably because their bass is prominent. Since I have heard neither I am probably in no position to judge these phones, but others like their bass. Just sayin'.
The bass on the Immanis (what I mainly demoed) is better than the SR1a. On the Led Zep song, When the Levee Breaks, both Danny and I were able to hear the bass guitar cleanly separated from the thunderous drumming. First time I heard that separation on that song which I know so well. Definitely did not hear it on the CA-1a or SR1a. Danny actually told me the same thing before I was going to say that to him. I think that is reflective on the quality of the base, maybe my example is not the lowest bass freq but it was very informative.

I tended to dislike headphones because they felt like having too much bass. My fatigue comment on the CA-1a is tied to this on certain music. The bass prominent foam pads of the CA-1a is a no go for me. I use the pads with the 2 cut outs. In fact, I preferred the prototype CA-1a pads with the 3 cutouts.

The bass on the Immanis in not like this. It is not fatiguing, there is more details, and get the feeling of listening to more of the music. Great stuff. A shame it will take me longer than expected to buy them.

BTW - for you folks in England, I am currently listening to an artist named Leah Weller. She is the daughter of Paul Weller and her mom is also a rather famous singer. Is Leah Weller well known in England. I am really liking her debut album.

Apr 22, 2024 at 4:14 PM Post #1,227 of 1,587
To me, that's what gives me pause about these headphones. Consider me unfair, cynical, or both, but I don't trust a product until I see one not-glowing review. Until then, it's just the latest hype train. I don't need a negative review, just one that goes "this is nice, but..." A review that brings up potential downsides or simply things that people might not like about a headphone.

I'm not trying to be a downer on this headphone, I'm trying to be cautious about a very expensive headphone with very interesting technology that seems to perform extremely well, which are all of the parts needed to build a giant hype train. I just don't think it's possible that everyone will love a certain headphone. Every headphone has its critics, no matter how advanced or well-built or carefully tuned. I'm very curious about it, and I wish my schedules worked out better so I could have heard it myself at AXPONA. I look forward to trying it out in the future.
If you want to hear from some people who were not fans, there are a few of them that I've talked to on the headphones.com discord server. I just scrolled through the chat to see one person said "timbre is bad, too much bass, transients were thin. Idk who it's for other than people who blindly buy the most expensive thing". Goldensound also said that it just sounded "weird". He said he could hear when a voice was coming from a specific ribbon, though Alex has explained that all 3 ribbons are in phase so this shouldn't be possible. He thought sr1b and Susvara are both better.

Apr 22, 2024 at 4:18 PM Post #1,228 of 1,587
If you want to hear from some people who were not fans, there are a few of them that I've talked to on the headphones.com discord server. I just scrolled through the chat to see one person said "timbre is bad, too much bass, transients were thin. Idk who it's for other than people who blindly buy the most expensive thing". Goldensound also said that it just sounded "weird". He said he could hear when a voice was coming from a specific ribbon, though Alex has explained that all 3 ribbons are in phase so this shouldn't be possible. He thought sr1b and Susvara are both better.
Golden sound also was praising the heck out of my Holo Serene preamp. I like it a lot though not as much as my Benchmark LA4 preamp (available for sale), or my incoming HPA4. I think GS liked the Serene more than the LA4 (not sure on this point).

Unfortunately, I took my Serene to Danny's for the demo and heard the Serene against a preamp Danny built, and the Serene came up way short. Kind of ___ me off. This was on 2-channel not headphones. The Serene was good with the Immanis.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2024 at 4:30 PM Post #1,229 of 1,587
Golden sound also was praising the heck out of my Holo Serene preamp. I like it a lot though not as much as my Benchmark LA4 preamp (available for sale), or my incoming HPA4. I think GS liked the Serene more than the LA4 (not sure on this point).

Unfortunately, I took my Serene to Danny's for the demo and heard the Serene against a preamp Danny built, and the Serene came up way short. Kind of ___ me off. This was on 2-channel not headphones. The Serene was good with the Immanis.
I’ve spoken with others who thought the Immanis was off. Specific, handclaps didn’t sound correct. Hotel California from Hell Freezes Over at the end of the track for reference. Just the messenger. I’m on the list for a pair but I want to get them on my system before making any purchase decision.

Apr 22, 2024 at 4:35 PM Post #1,230 of 1,587
OK, I'm being a bit of a smart A** here.........
If most (or all) of Hotel California sounds right and the audience clapping at the end of the track didn't sound 'correct' should I care?
I DO want the awesome intro to that song to sound correct!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back